Glass Tank Warranty Poll

NAGA

Glass Tank Warranty Preference Poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be the preferred warranty on a glass tank?

• Industry Standard Thickness Of Glass w/ 2yr. Warranty
    • Paying Extra For Thicker Glass And Have 10yr. Warranty

(edited)

Yea, I think it depends on the amount. I'm thinking extra 10% - 15% margin on top of the extra cost of the glass.

edit: of course, if you go with thicker glass then the transparency (clarity) will be diminished. And isn't it usually the silicone seals that fail, not the glass itself? So why would you want thicker glass?

Edited by Brian Ward

how much extra?

the extra will be the additonal cost of the glass +10%-15% on top

Yea, I think it depends on the amount. I'm thinking extra 10% - 15% margin on top of the extra cost of the glass.

edit: of course, if you go with thicker glass then the transparency (clarity) will be diminished. And isn't it usually the silicone seals that fail, not the glass itself? So why would you want thicker glass?

You are correct that the silicone is the usual culprit of tank failures but, if you think about it if you use thicker glass your going to have a thicker silcone surface contact area to hold it together.

It's like deciding whether or not to wear a diaper today.

In almost all cases, it's just not needed.

yeah, but when you need it YOU NEED IT!

Maybe if the warranty were more like an insurance policy? Covered cleanup of the spill, repair anything that was water damaged, and replace all contents of the tank that were lost? Of course, that may be asking a bit much .....

Maybe if the warranty were more like an insurance policy? Covered cleanup of the spill, repair anything that was water damaged, and replace all contents of the tank that were lost? Of course, that may be asking a bit much .....

I don't know of any aquarium company that has a warranty that covers that

will the company be around to warranty in 10 years?

Depends on the company I guess

I don't know of any aquarium company that has a warranty that covers that

Point of differentiation in the market. Just have to determine if there is a segment that will support it. I would expect that you can do a failure analysis and based on that have an insurance policy written against one of your tanks failing. Then the insurance company pays out on the claim instead of the business. Cuts the profit margin, but decreases the risk to the business. Also, if it's written with a large insurer, the policy can outlive the company, offering more peace of mind to the customer.

Point of differentiation in the market. Just have to determine if there is a segment that will support it. I would expect that you can do a failure analysis and based on that have an insurance policy written against one of your tanks failing. Then the insurance company pays out on the claim instead of the business. Cuts the profit margin, but decreases the risk to the business. Also, if it's written with a large insurer, the policy can outlive the company, offering more peace of mind to the customer.

USAA considers the tank as an appliance with the standard deductable on their homeowners policy (at least they did in my case when I had my flood, but did not cover the tank itself). Like any toilet, dishwasher, etc... that may have failed and you needed cleanup. Not sure about the other insurance companies. Seems like the only additional insurance you may need in that case is to cover replacement cost of the tank (ie, warranty). Maybe additional warranty for the livestock, but that is really a pipe dream I think.

USAA considers the tank as an appliance with the standard deductable on their homeowners policy (at least they did in my case when I had my flood, but did not cover the tank itself). Like any toilet, dishwasher, etc... that may have failed and you needed cleanup. Not sure about the other insurance companies. Seems like the only additional insurance you may need in that case is to cover replacement cost of the tank (ie, warranty). Maybe additional warranty for the livestock, but that is really a pipe dream I think.

$1000 deductible for cleanup, not to mention a ding against you toward cancellation. It's be nice if the tank came with the insurance instaed.

you let me know when you find a tank mfg. putting that comprehensive warranty. I have yet to find one. I know of two glasscages failures where the homeowner had the damage covered by the homeowners policy and we know how great glasscages warranty's are. In the end the tank is the least expensive part when there is a failure so replacing the tank really isn't the problem. I haven't read Tenecors warranty but, I seem to remember theirs is a depreciated limited warranty as the tank ages the replacement warranty against failure goes down.

$1000 deductible for cleanup, not to mention a ding against you toward cancellation. It's be nice if the tank came with the insurance instaed.

mine was $500, but much better than the $15kish I did in damage! :)

you let me know when you find a tank mfg. putting that comprehensive warranty. I have yet to find one. I know of two glasscages failures where the homeowner had the damage covered by the homeowners policy and we know how great glasscages warranty's are. In the end the tank is the least expensive part when there is a failure so replacing the tank really isn't the problem. I haven't read Tenecors warranty but, I seem to remember theirs is a depreciated limited warranty as the tank ages the replacement warranty against failure goes down.

I'm pretty sure no one offers such a warranty. My suggestion is to lead the pack and be the first to do it - assuming you can work out the financials to use a 3rd party insurer. I think it's an interesting idea, just requires some more market research to test out the viability of such a comprehensive warranty.

A properly constructed tank and stand will easily last the 10years.

With that in mind, 1yr, 2yr, is fine by me, but I prefer solid construction over the minimums/standard.

fwiw: my vote went into thicker + 10yr.

How about option c) Thicker glass, standard warranty

I would not spend extra for a long warranty on a tank (especially considering the current business climate), but I certainly would spend for better quality/beefier construction.

I don't think that a warranty matters much when buying a new tank especially when compared to livestock and the results of many gallons of water hitting the floor. I think the reputation of the builder is most important and then the materials used. Getting a tank replace/repaired under warranty is not even a small consideration. Good luck with your efforts.

Has anyone heard of any insurance company yet that will insure the TANK INHABITANTS yet?

I wonder if an insurance company that covers pets (dogs, cats, etc) IF there is one of them even?

You folks need to have Jeff build you lots of tanks, so he can have the bugs worked out before I'm ready for my 8'x4'x30" with Starfire front and size!

:biggrin:

GO JEFF!!!

Has anyone heard of any insurance company yet that will insure the TANK INHABITANTS yet?

No such animal, and as far as insurance companies go, none of them will cover the tank either. They typically pay for the resulting damage, and not the source causing the damage. Now, if a tank heater/ chiller caused the tank, or surrounding areas to catch on fire, the tank may be covered. There is a gray area in there.

;)

I wonder if an insurance company that covers pets (dogs, cats, etc) IF there is one of them even?

You folks need to have Jeff build you lots of tanks, so he can have the bugs worked out before I'm ready for my 8'x4'x30" with Starfire front and size!

:biggrin:

GO JEFF!!!

Lloyds of London will insure ANYTHING. That's typically the company celebs are using when they insure their butts, faces, hands, physiques, etc.

Lloyd's, also known as Lloyd's of London, is a British insurance market. It serves as a meeting place where multiple financial backers or

I don't think that a warranty matters much when buying a new tank especially when compared to livestock and the results of many gallons of water hitting the floor. I think the reputation of the builder is most important and then the materials used. Getting a tank replace/repaired under warranty is not even a small consideration. Good luck with your efforts.

I agree and disagree. I think it depends on the tank. I ordered a stand from A.G.E. when I bought my 325g. Part of it was because I got a 3 year warranty on the tank. I could have built a wood stand, but with that size, I could see wood potentially having some adverse affects on a tank that size. Obviously, it would be cheaper to make my own stand, but the price difference was worth getting the extra warranty by having their stand and piece of mind. I also went with A.G.E. because of their reputation. The price of the tank will be roughly the same as the livestock. Well actually more than the livestock until I get a lot of grown out corals. With the amount of money I paid for the tank (and stand), I would definitely want it fixed under warranty. Remember, a lot of tank failures are slow. At least you have a fighting chance to save your livestock. Anwyay, I don't want to have to pay for a new tank again. It seems that most tanks that fail due to construction (or support i.e. stand) do so within 2 years. Ones that fail outside of that typically appear to fail because of age.

I kind of agree with ctenophore. A.G.E. has a 3 year warranty on their tanks if you use their stand. I think it is 1 year. If Jeff is looking do glass tanks, I would do something like that. Maybe if they get the thicker glass then it is 2 years without a stand and 5 years with a stand.