Alkalinity and SPS Growth

DDiver

Where does everyone keep their alkalinity?the recommended range is 8-12dkh but I wanna know where everyone is seeing fastest growth.

I like 10-12 DKH to allow for a little drop without problems. I have been battling a low ALk lately and bumping it up using two part.

The average reading I get on the 90 w/ SPS is about 3.14 meq/l. Can't seem to get it higher no matter what.

Have you been dosing Mg? That's supposed to help ....

Just remember Billy, unless you stopped running the Neo Zeo system, what others keep their system at really plays no part in you're set up. Most of us are around 7, but with any of these low nutrient systems you want to max out around 8.

Just remember Billy, unless you stopped running the Neo Zeo system, what others keep their system at really plays no part in you're set up. Most of us are around 7, but with any of these low nutrient systems you want to max out around 8.

Still confused on this a little.. what is the limiting factor in low nutrient systems that prevent us running much higher than 7? I am running ultralith and am pushing it past 8, but it is a chore to keep it there (it will settle at 6). What is using up the alk so much and does having such a low alk impact growth? Any links that explain this appreciated.

Still confused on this a little.. what is the limiting factor in low nutrient systems that prevent us running much higher than 7? I am running ultralith and am pushing it past 8, but it is a chore to keep it there (it will settle at 6). What is using up the alk so much and does having such a low alk impact growth? Any links that explain this appreciated.

In carbon-dosed systems, there have been reports of SPS tips being burned at higher alk levels. I think that's what Mark's referring to.

From: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Burnt tips - Some users of organic carbon dosing have reported the tissue loss at the ends of their SPS. These "burnt tips" have recovered once the user reduced the alkalinity levels within their tank to alkalinity levels closer to natural seawater (7-8 dKH), pictured below. Unfortunately, the root cause for this is not known.

thanks for clearing that up Tom, I've been running mine at 7-8dkh since I started with NeoZeo and forgot why I was keeping it that low.. I do see growth but just not anything super crazy like I see from other people's tanks.

In carbon-dosed systems, there have been reports of SPS tips being burned at higher alk levels. I think that's what Mark's referring to.

Ed Zachary.

;)