What is the best filtration set up for a Nano? Am I okay?

Jan

I have a 24 gallon JBJ Nano cube which I purchased used on Craigslist. I've been reading, researching and asking questions for about 2 months before I found the tank. I need to know if I've done the right thing here. The unit came with the standard bio balls, ceramic rings and charcoal pellets. I started the filtration system in the tank with this material. In reading many posts on many sites I've decided to take it all out and now the only thing I have is poly fill, which I change every other day. My levels are great; 0 ammonia, 8.3H, 1.025 SG, Nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. I also have nice caroline algae on most of the ricks and green algae growing on the glass. I think my levels are stable because I seeded the tank with 50%water and 100% live rock (20lbs) from an established tank. I've got star fish, hermits and 1 snail that came with the rocks and 1 damsel and 1 Maroon clown that were given to me with the water and rock. All are doing great, but it's only been 2 weeks and I'm concerned that there will be a drastic change down the line somewhere. I test the water every day. I have made 2-20% water changes because I had 0.25 ammonia. Is there anything else that I should be doing? Should anything else go into this filtration system? I've just ordered a protein skimmer made by JBJ specifically for this tank. Should I hook up the skimmer as soon as I get it or do I wait? I want this to be a reef tank so I have to get everything perfect.

which skimmer did you get? the ones recomended are Tunze, saphire and cpr, they make great skimmers that perform 100 times better than stock skimmers.

invest in a good skimmer and hook it up when possible, it will have to through a break in process and you may experience some micro bubbles but dont worry they will go away if you do experience it. Definitely take all the bioballs and ceramic rings out, iw ould sudgest to buy a small bag of chemipure and put it in one of the chambers, I use it and it helps.

so far youi have started right, just keep up on your weekly water changes and enjoy your new tank.

Carbon, run a lot and run it often. Find a well made media reactor to run carbon, passive filtering is a thing of the past and its not effecient..

I have run many successful nano SPS tanks and trust me when I say that water changes, good skimmer, and running carbon is the key.

just my .02$

which skimmer did you get? the ones recomended are Tunze, saphire and cpr, they make great skimmers that perform 100 times better than stock skimmers.

invest in a good skimmer and hook it up when possible, it will have to through a break in process and you may experience some micro bubbles but dont worry they will go away if you do experience it. Definitely take all the bioballs and ceramic rings out, iw ould sudgest to buy a small bag of chemipure and put it in one of the chambers, I use it and it helps.

so far youi have started right, just keep up on your weekly water changes and enjoy your new tank.

I ordered the Nano skimmer by JBJ.

This is what it says on their website....

"Nano skimmer

Great price for this protein skimmer. It includes the wooden airstone and pump . Easy to set up in your saltwater reef aquarium. The collection chamber makes cleaning a breeze and take no time at all.

The Reviews of the Nano cube skimmer were great and customers loved them in their tanks.

Set up in all marines tanks up to 25 gallons but specifically made for the 12 gallon and 24 gallon nanocube but will work on others such as oceanics bicube on currents tank."

I've attached a pic.

Thanks! I feel much better. Do you recommend the Chemipure fresh or Chemipure elite?

Carbon, run a lot and run it often. Find a well made media reactor to run carbon, passive filtering is a thing of the past and its not effecient..

I have run many successful nano SPS tanks and trust me when I say that water changes, good skimmer, and running carbon is the key.

just my .02$

Do you know of one that will fit in a Nano cube?

just my .02$

Okay I found this reactor. What do you think? This will fit in my nano nicely but I don't know anything about the specs.

http://sapphireaquatics.com/onlinestore/in...p;products_id=9

Okay so after much more research Ive decided to go with the Tunze Nano protein skimmer and the sapphire aquatics nano reactor. I cancelled the order for the JBJ skimmer. I should have them in about a week or so. Thanks everyone for your very valuable and very much appreciated advice. :biggrin:

last bit of advice. Pay the 20 and join WAMAS before getting any other equipment or livestock. It will be priceless in the end. Good job so far and sounds like you are planning it out well.

Hey Jan, some people have ok success with the stock skimmers but as stated a good performing skimmer is worth the money and depending on the bioload that you will have you may want to just return that one and consider one of the ones mentioned. Yauger said carbon, chemipure is basically a much better carbon media which last for up to 6 months, that is what i use as well as 5 gallon water changes every week.

last bit of advice. Pay the 20 and join WAMAS before getting any other equipment or livestock. It will be priceless in the end. Good job so far and sounds like you are planning it out well.

I paid the 20 last night. I thought I was a member.

the tunze 9002 is great, I run it with a modified skimmer cup to fit into my bc29 hood. I also run a media rack of filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite. I would reccomend doing both.

Google intank, its a nice place to get that stuff

will that run inside the tank?

Okay so after much more research Ive decided to go with the Tunze Nano protein skimmer and the sapphire aquatics nano reactor. I cancelled the order for the JBJ skimmer. I should have them in about a week or so. Thanks everyone for your very valuable and very much appreciated advice. :biggrin:

the tunze 9002 is great, I run it with a modified skimmer cup to fit into my bc29 hood. I also run a media rack of filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite. I would reccomend doing both.

Google intank, its a nice place to get that stuff

How and why did you modify the skimmer cup? I should use both chemi-pure elite and purigen? Why do I need both?

Hi.....

on christmas 2007 i set my daughter up the 12 gallon aquapod.......i am running the foam block in the first chamber....then my heater is in the next chamber...then my bag of chemi-pure, which i replace every 2months or so....thats it.....no protein skimmer.....i have yet to see any red slime and or hair algae.....WC's of 2 (+ or - .5 gallon) gallons every 2 weeks.

Bryan

How and why did you modify the skimmer cup? I should use both chemi-pure elite and purigen? Why do I need both?

the stock cup for the tunze requires you to cup the hood of the bc for it to fit in. I bought a skimmer cup for $24 from intank, it is a rectangular cup that doesn't require any hood cutting.

I am running chemi-pure elite and purigen just for double filtration

Fortunately you have some pretty hardy fish in there, but I definately understand the concern with elevated ammonia levels. I run purigen in my tank, and it has saved me many times I'm sure from ammoina/ nitrate/ nitrite spikes that might otherwise have happened (I had a high bioload with no filtration other than the bag of purigen in front of a koralia and my liverock).

My understanding is that purigen and chemi pur elite perform the same functions.

Here's an option: Go skimmerless. Use the money that you would spend on a skimmer for livestock.

Go with the stock set-up and recommended stocking levels for a tank this small. Like 2 or 3 fish that aren't big eaters. Fill one of the chambers with chaeto. Remove the filter sponge, use carbon, add calcium and kalk. Don't add more powerheads for circulation- use an eductor on the return instead. Don't overfeed and do 10% weekly water changes.

sit back and enjoy.

Here's an option: Go skimmerless. Use the money that you would spend on a skimmer for livestock.

Go with the stock set-up and recommended stocking levels for a tank this small. Like 2 or 3 fish that aren't big eaters. Fill one of the chambers with chaeto. Remove the filter sponge, use carbon, add calcium and kalk. Don't add more powerheads for circulation- use an eductor on the return instead. Don't overfeed and do 10% weekly water changes.

sit back and enjoy.

Thanks for the recomendation Zygote, but I've got the skimmer and reactor. So far everything is working great.

www.mediabaskets.com order the skimmer cup to fit in your tank. add chemipure elite and you'll be fine. The key to nanos and picos are staying up on WC's and topoff. Chemipure is basically high grade carbon and gfo or granular ferrios oxide.

www.mediabaskets.com order the skimmer cup to fit in your tank. add chemipure elite and you'll be fine. The key to nanos and picos are staying up on WC's and topoff. Chemipure is basically high grade carbon and gfo or granular ferrios oxide.

Totally cool. Thank you :biggrin:

I agree 100%.

I just saw that mediabaskets wont be taking any new orders for a month or so due to them moving locations.

I just saw that mediabaskets wont be taking any new orders for a month or so due to them moving locations.

I spoke with the owner. I'm getting the mod cup in a week. Thanks everyone.