1 fish has ich -- others do not

sen5241b

I finally caught my Mandarin Goby, his spots have spread since the first ones appeared a week ago. My other 2 fish (6 line and yellow clown goby) do not have a single spot. Are they resistant? Do I really need to setup a hospital tanks for all and treat??

BTW, his spot are more like white pustules, which is, I think, Oodinium and not ich.

Not sure where I read it, but mandarin don't get ich, and the medicine will kill it due to its thin skin and slime coat. Not sure if they get Oodinium or not though, or how to treat. Good luck.

It's not that they can't get it, they're less susceptible to it because they shed their slime coat so much. This results in any ich being sloughed off for the most part. Are you sure that it's not simply something stuck to the slime coat? Lots of things tend to stick them and I would think that the other fish would be more likely to get whatever it has before the mandarin gets it.

It's not that they can't get it, they're less susceptible to it because they shed their slime coat so much. This results in any ich being sloughed off for the most part. Are you sure that it's not simply something stuck to the slime coat? Lots of things tend to stick them and I would think that the other fish would be more likely to get whatever it has before the mandarin gets it.

I agree, my Mandarin get what look's like little grains of sand stuck to him/her all the time. I would bet if you had ich the other fish would have it before the Mandarin.

Only my Tang had ick and this was the solution ->

gallery_290_532_12329.jpg

I got a cleaner shrimp and all the ick was gone in a few days. It cleans the other fishes too.

Mandarins are susceptible to ich but not immune!

I looked my MD over carefully and the spots are spreading. I've seen sand stuck to him and its not sand. My 6 line likes to attack inverts so a shrimp is not a good idea.

Description of Oodinium: "small white pustules (pimple like) on skin and fins ..."

What medicine can I use for my mandarin goby to get rid of Oodinium?

Mandarins are susceptible to ich but not immune!

I looked my MD over carefully and the spots are spreading. I've seen sand stuck to him and its not sand. My 6 line likes to attack inverts so a shrimp is not a good idea.

Description of Oodinium: "small white pustules (pimple like) on skin and fins ..."

What medicine can I use for my mandarin goby to get rid of Oodinium?

I also have a 6 line and 2 shrimps -> cleaner and coral banded. So far so good, the 6 line is only about 1.5" though.

When I got ich in my 240 - and no way I could catch the fish - I just made sure to add garlic to their food, and made sure they all got plenty to eat. Only the 'new fish' that brought the ich with him died - plus a goby that never even showed ich. All of the other fish are still fine - and no sign of ich in the year since.

bob

When I got ich in my 240 - and no way I could catch the fish - I just made sure to add garlic to their food, and made sure they all got plenty to eat. Only the 'new fish' that brought the ich with him died - plus a goby that never even showed ich. All of the other fish are still fine - and no sign of ich in the year since.

bob

Good info but the spots have spread in the last week. They are not going away. I'm thinking use formalin and then do a 50% water change only a couple hours later. There that and hypo-salinity and elevated heat? Anyone got better ideas? Is formalin and copper a big mistake with a Mandarin Goby??

I wouldn't do anything. You have 2 other fish and being so aggresive for this one fish can cause you more trouble and loss then doing nothing. I would feed good food with garlic as mentioned earlier and watch. Maybe a freshwater dip or small treated quarintine tank but I am not so sure how effective that is.

Good info but the spots have spread in the last week. They are not going away. I'm thinking use formalin and then do a 50% water change only a couple hours later. There that and hypo-salinity and elevated heat? Anyone got better ideas? Is formalin and copper a big mistake with a Mandarin Goby??

Not sure whether formalin works well against ich, but copper certainly does. Neither can be used in your reef tank, though.

Hyposalinity works well against the ich parasites after they've dropped off your fish.

I would not change the temperature. IMO that is more like to cause stress to the fish through reduced oxygenation. Ich often causes damage to the fishes' gills, making breathing more difficult, and increasing the temperature compounds the difficulty.

From all you've said it's not ich. Ich, by the way, is not cured by cleaner shrimp. Cleaner shrimp clean only on the surface and ich is a subcutaneous parasite. When you see the white dots, that's only the part of the parasite that is now on top of the skin, there are still many parasites below the skin. The cleaner shrimp can help to alleviate by eating some of them, but it will certainly not cure the ich problem. Normally, a healthy diet will help to stop ich, but for a mandarin I'm not convinced that garlic will help at all. Garlic typically helps to motivate the body to produce a slime coat and shed whatever is on the outside, something a mandarin does with regularity anyway.

As far as treating your mandarin, whatever you treat it with will most likely kill its food source as well (copper, formalin) so you'd better make sure that it eats prepared or frozen food before treating it. I'm not certain on what you can and cannot treat a mandarin with, by the way. It's my understanding that they do not handle copper, but can't recall if I've actually read it or misremembering it. I would post a picture and try and get a definitive diagnosis before treating anything, by the way, it's not a good idea to randomly treat anything.

(edited)

I don' think its ich either. He has raised white pustules or pimples which (so I've read) is characteristic of Chilodonella or Oodinium --both a single cell parasite. MDs do not do well with copper or fresh water dips. I'm going to try hypo-salinity.

IMG_5683_1024x768.jpg

Edited by sen5241b