African Blue Striped Pipefish

Prunfarm

Well my less than a week old acquisitions were found having a tender moment yesterday. I'm hoping for the best, but time will tell. Anyone here run a rotifer culture system before?

as far as rots. Are you grow rots for the babies? do you even have babies yet or are they just showing courting behavior? You need to make sure that you have enough pods for them first.

Sorry no pics, they were in an opening in my fuge when I actually saw them mate. Other than that time I rarely see them, unless I go fuge fishing. The adults have plenty of pods, but I'm trying slowly to get them to eat some Cyclopeez. I plan on setting up a rot culture for the youngin's, and also possibly making a big fuge tub - which over time could be the nursery. Mr. Coral said he can help also. So far no babies, but I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. I have read that these fish can and will breed continuously.

Congratulations! I recommend you start taking notes on when they mate, how long it takes to gestate, etc. so you can better predict future batches. I had a breeding pair of neon gobies two years ago, and I knew when they were ready to lay a new batch of eggs, and what day they would hatch.

Jon

if interested in gettin rots, i'd probably go in with you. My culture dwindled away, probably cause the food I was using. PM if interested. Also where do you work, may be easier than new market.

Do you have a tank setup to transfer the fry to? It would be best to have everything ready as you may never know when they will come out. There is some info at www.seahorse.org that might be useful. Even having bbs would be good to try.

Edited by rocko918

Yeah, the 'tank' actually a tub, is being set up. It's essentially going to be a fuge for the fry - sponge filter, light, rock, chaeto. From what I have read bbs are too large, so I'm leaning towards rots.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, male is carrying, big a$$ pouch... Looked for him this morning, to no avail. Hopefully he was hiding in the chaeto popping them out. I'll have to check tonight after work.

(edited)
As of right now, male is still holding.

OH, this is so exciting! Definately try BBS (the smaller type) and maybe even cyclopeeze, of course rots will prob be your best bet:). I can't wait to see how rearing goes. PICS!!:) If you are able to breed them, I'll have to set up a macro biotope tank just for some CB pipes!:) People have done it on seahorse.org and nano-reef. But the african blue striped is so beautiful, not sure i know of anyone rearing their young! Keep us updated, even failures can help inform other people trying to breed them. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by EcoGirl22

OH, this is so exciting! Definately try BBS (the smaller type) and maybe even cyclopeeze, of course rots will prob be your best bet:). I can't wait to see how rearing goes. PICS!!:) If you are able to breed them, I'll have to set up a macro biotope tank just for some CB pipes!:) People have done it on seahorse.org and nano-reef. But the african blue striped is so beautiful, not sure i know of anyone rearing their young! Keep us updated, even failures can help inform other people trying to breed them. GOOD LUCK!

hahaha another nanoreefer on here

Thanks! The male kicked out the fry overnight 3/1 to 3/2. B/C they are in the fuge, I have no idea whether or not any are still alive. I'm kind of hoping that one or two will make it on their own. I really wasn't ready for them to breed so soon. Luckily, I've read that one these fish begin to breed, they will continue to do so. Plans are in the works for capturing the next batch.

Thanks! The male kicked out the fry overnight 3/1 to 3/2. B/C they are in the fuge, I have no idea whether or not any are still alive. I'm kind of hoping that one or two will make it on their own. I really wasn't ready for them to breed so soon. Luckily, I've read that one these fish begin to breed, they will continue to do so. Plans are in the works for capturing the next batch.

Exciting! :clap: So you're not feeding them anything--even small BBS or trying cyclopeeze? I would be shocked if any survived without feeding, most baby fish need so much concentrated live foods when young, a fuge simply couldn't have enough unless you culled (oh no! I'll take the extra!!:) all but one or two, then maybe you'd have a chance with the "natural" method. (I tried raising seahorse fry with no luck, so I do have a little idea of what doesn't work! haaha) Good luck on getting everything set up for the next batch and keep us updated on progress.---with PICS of course :biggrin: