Kalk overdose

rottloverr

Well I dont know how it happened this time but I walked downstairs last night around 2 am to get a drink and my 75 g tank was cloudy with kalk. I've been through this before but I guess it was to much this time. Everything is dying. Some corals have already bleached while some are in the process. My 2 clown fish seem ok but the rest of the fish havent been coming out of the rock unless they are dead in there.

We are looking at buying a house in the next month or two so i was going to have to break everything down. We had planned on buying a larger tank once we are settled but at this point i dont know. The tank stinks to high heaven, there is slim on all the corals and from reading posts I just can sit here and wait.

This has been the hardest hobby I have ever been in...

I'll be selling everything once the tank settles down. I'm done.

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

i'm sorry to here this..i hope to see you back in the hobby once you are settled in your new house..

this is the reason why i don't use kalk...

(edited)

My kalk stirrer was set up thru my auto top off. I had just changed the kalk powder a week ago so it was strong water that was put in the tank. I believe the float switch came off the side glass so it just kept pumping.

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

Well I dont know how it happened this time but I walked downstairs last night around 2 am to get a drink and my 75 g tank was cloudy with kalk. I've been through this before but I guess it was to much this time. Everything is dying. Some corals have already bleached while some are in the process. My 2 clown fish seem ok but the rest of the fish havent been coming out of the rock unless they are dead in there.

We are looking at buying a house in the next month or two so i was going to have to break everything down. We had planned on buying a larger tank once we are settled but at this point i dont know. The tank stinks to high heaven, there is slim on all the corals and from reading posts I just can sit here and wait.

This has been the hardest hobby I have ever been in...

I'll be selling everything once the tank settles down. I'm done.

Sean

Sounds like you read a lot of posts - but not all the right ones. Recently it has been suggested several times that your kalk stirrer never have enough kalk powder in it to cause death and destruction. Better to re-fill it frequently than to kill off the tank. Sorry about your bad luck.

bob

Sorry to hear this...

If I were to offer an opinion, it would be to sell everything that you can't use on your next tank if you're going to move anyway. My tank also suffered pretty bad the last seven days, and I actually had the "For Sale" post all written up with all of my stuff. In the end, I just couldn't do it. It took several days of just working on it and not even thinking about selling it, plus a really tasty hamburger, and now I feel like I can keep at it.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I read of a kalk stirrer going bad, or malfunctioning.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I read of a kalk stirrer going bad, or malfunctioning.

+1

You'll never catch me using kalk on my tank. I guess people are glutton for punishment.

Edited by SeanCallan

+1

You'll never catch me using kalk on my tank. I guess people are gluten for punishment.

Wheat allergies are a b***ch but not sure what that has to do with calcium hydroxide overdosing? :biggrin:

+1

You'll never catch me using kalk on my tank. I guess people are glutton for punishment.

Ahhhh, a visit from the editing genie I see. Gluten tag! :biggrin: