This is why....

treesprite

spray2.jpg

... there can be no DSB in a clownfish tank

clowns.jpg

prespray.jpg

spray1.jpg

Edited by treesprite

Lol......I hear ya! My Yellow stripe maroon does the same, but I didn't know others did.

All clowns I've ever owned, Perc, False Perc, Clarkii's, GSM have all done that. However mine do not dig large large holes in the sand. A dsb should still be plausible.

My percs occasionally stir up the bed but only the top layer and only in their special cozy corner of the tank Heck, I also have a pistol shrimp with my DSB and it's no big deal. So far (had it about a month) the pistol does his digging in the far corner behind a rock.

spray2.jpg

... there can be no DSB in a clownfish tank

Put a piece of ceramic tile in that spot, with the finished side down, and see if the clowns will use that for spawning.

My female clown does this constantly, uncountable times every single day throughout the tank, no particular spot though they are in a 38g alone. The bottom of the tank usually has bare areas. I think she does it in part due to being irritated, because sometimes she does it when I have my hand in the tank. The male doesn't do it near as often, and then only in a certain area, so for him I believe it is part of the dance.

The clowns are only a few inches apart in that picture so you can see the difference in their sizes... they were the same size when I got them, about 1.5".

Great pics, Forrest! How fun! LOL

I finally got a "real" camera! Tracy, I thought you fell off the earth.... been wondering what happened to you.

I finally got a "real" camera! Tracy, I thought you fell off the earth.... been wondering what happened to you.

I looked at your tank thread and saw the awesome pics....fantastic!

I did kind of fall off the earth. The (now-not-so) little black @$%#& invasion proved to be quite a busy bee and needing a great deal of attention. She's awfully pretty though, so she's forgiven! LOL

diddi_11mos_sm_2.JPG

Tracy

I looked at your tank thread and saw the awesome pics....fantastic!

I did kind of fall off the earth. The (now-not-so) little black @$%#& invasion proved to be quite a busy bee and needing a great deal of attention. She's awfully pretty though, so she's forgiven! LOL

diddi_11mos_sm_2.JPG

Tracy

She's a pretty dog :)

You'll see a scene similar to this in Crustacean Wars VI.

Looking forward to it :)

How many of the clowns that are doing this are hosting in anemones? Just curious.

Jackie

I thought you couldn't watch them

I "try" to watch them... there is a lot of frame-by-frame effect because the connection is so slow which at times is frustrating to the point that I give up. If there was a way to download the files then view them I would do that.

How many of the clowns that are doing this are hosting in anemones? Just curious.

Jackie

I think the clowns do it to "clean house", meaning that having an anemone would not make any difference. I wonder how many people have clowns while having a crushed-coral substrate and how the clowns behave with it.