Where to find LOTS of copepods?

SeanCallan

So, I picked up a Harlequin to find out she had a rather large clutch. Right now I'm not suited to care for them but I would be willing to give it a shot. I know how to set up a tank to care for her and her clutch but I lack the food sources necessary for the little ones once they hatch.

I did a fair amount of reading today and found that people have very high mortality rates with brine and prefer to use copepods.

If I wanted to move her to a dedicated tank and try to care for them, where could I find a large supply of copepods? Do any of the LFS sell them?

So, I picked up a Harlequin to find out she had a rather large clutch. Right now I'm not suited to care for them but I would be willing to give it a shot. I know how to set up a tank to care for her and her clutch but I lack the food sources necessary for the little ones once they hatch.

I did a fair amount of reading today and found that people have very high mortality rates with brine and prefer to use copepods.

If I wanted to move her to a dedicated tank and try to care for them, where could I find a large supply of copepods? Do any of the LFS sell them?

You can buy them online, which I done with marginal success.

You can buy "tigger pods" from some LFS which seems to be a huge waste to me.

At some times of the year (I think when warmer), roozen's coral corpse bin has the highest concentration of em I've ever seen. Pull out a small LR, there are hundreds or thousands on them.

Wonder if you could use dead pods.

I think one of the best products around is a product called "Arcti Pods" which is just pure pods. Every thing in my tank went crazy for them (including most of my corals). I would buy a big bottle a couple times a year from That Fish Place but I think BRK and others carry it now.

A bottle of that stuff lasts a long time.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Saw a sign tonight at Pristine Aquariums in Alexandria that said "LIVE PODS". Probably pricey but could be worth it if the babies survive. Good luck!

Laura

I know Ebay sells them cheap. Just get a coke bottle and cut off teh bottom then flip it upside down. So that the top is now in the bottom to support its self. Then place a air line in the water and pour a small amount of eggs in the water give them about three days of airation and they will begin to hatch. And do not use an air stone the fine bubbles will kills the delicate brine hatchlings.

What kind of Harlequin are we talking about? The shrimp? Those typically need star fish to survive.

From the way people are talking they must know something I don't. What exactly is it that you have?

Edited by jason the filter freak

Are you going to be able to make or buy a kreisel? otherwise it will be pretty much impossible to raise these guys. From the quick reading I did, the raising of these is very similar to that of small egged octopuses which has only been done a handfull of times. Now it does appear that it's easier to do these though, but I think you're going to be putting quite a bit of money into it... anyways, for pods, from my "cephalopod sources" aka ceph breeders I know that have to buy pods all the time. These are the best sites:

http://www.reefs2go.com/c=1TZri19CsaEogFXO...life.live_food/

that's the best, I forgot the other one but will tell you later...

What kind of Harlequin are we talking about? The shrimp? Those typically need star fish to survive.

From the way people are talking they must know something I don't. What exactly is it that you have?

Yes the shrimp, the nearly hatched shrimp eat brine and copepods but in the home aquarium people have reported a high mortality rate when feeding brine.

Are you going to be able to make or buy a kreisel? otherwise it will be pretty much impossible to raise these guys. From the quick reading I did, the raising of these is very similar to that of small egged octopuses which has only been done a handfull of times. Now it does appear that it's easier to do these though, but I think you're going to be putting quite a bit of money into it... anyways, for pods, from my "cephalopod sources" aka ceph breeders I know that have to buy pods all the time. These are the best sites:

http://www.reefs2go.com/c=1TZri19CsaEogFXO...life.live_food/

that's the best, I forgot the other one but will tell you later...

I was reading one gentleman's thread on raising them and none of the things in it seem expensive at all. He used a small CF, powerhead, 10g tank, a little sand, and some acrylic baffles. Nutrients need to be very low to completely absent which is fine since I'm running ULN in my display, water changes can from there.

You'll never know if you never try.

I was reading one gentleman's thread on raising them and none of the things in it seem expensive at all. He used a small CF, powerhead, 10g tank, a little sand, and some acrylic baffles. Nutrients need to be very low to completely absent which is fine since I'm running ULN in my display, water changes can from there.

You'll never know if you never try.

True, I definetly wasn't telling you not to try, I think it would be great if you managed to. I just can see this costing a lot of money and time, and a little mistake could blow it... Good luck and keep us updated!!!!

True, I definetly wasn't telling you not to try, I think it would be great if you managed to. I just can see this costing a lot of money and time, and a little mistake could blow it... Good luck and keep us updated!!!!

Well, now I'm pretty confused. Yesterday she had her clutch, dropped the starfish leg she was munching on and found a cave. She came out later and went back to the starfish leg but without her clutch. I don't know if that means she laid them or what. Or maybe I just can't get a good look at her.

Its really hard for me to see inside the little cave she was hiding him so I can't tell if theres anything in there.

We'll see!

Wait, is the shrimp in your reef? If so I would really suggest taking it out with the cluch and putting it in a separate tank, otherwise the babies will probably be eaten or be lost as soon as they hatch, I of course don't know though.

Wait, is the shrimp in your reef? If so I would really suggest taking it out with the cluch and putting it in a separate tank, otherwise the babies will probably be eaten or be lost as soon as they hatch, I of course don't know though.

Yes, it is in my reef right now. I didn't want to remove her from the tank and put her into another tank if I wasn't going to be able to get the copepods necessary to raise the hatched shrimp. It would end up being unnecessary stress that I don't feel the need to subject my watery friends to.

I have tons of pods, some quite large, in my 29 BC. I have to scrape them off the glass. I created a 'pod pile' --a pile of small pieces of white branch coral that I collected off the beach and cured myself. The pods breed in there without getting eaten. I left on vacation for 2 weeks and came back and I could not believe the size and number of the pods all over tha glass! My Mandarin Goby looked slightly bigger when I got back. Lemme know if you want a pic of the pod pile.

Some fish however will decimate your pods like the blue damsel. I put a mandarin goby in my tank 3 months ago and he has not decimated my pods. I also feed the MG orange sushi fish eggs (yes like the ones on a California roll) and Ocean Nutrition formula 1 pellets.