Mini Carpet Anemones

SeanCallan

I think I saw some of these at Wally's not long ago (but I may have mis-IDed them, I'm no expert)

They were tan/brown/white color.

I think those are the very common ones. The purple and other colors that everyone wants are much harder to find.

Man... $25 per is steep! When Gary Majchrzak first started distributing these things he let them go for $10 apiece. I can't understand selling the common variety like this for such a price when they split almost non-stop. I purchased two a few years ago and within 6 months had over 40... that were in plain sight. At the time, not a single one was manually divided.

I passed on a few to James when he picked up some refugium rock a few months back. Great little anemones, but I wouldn't pay much for the common variety. Daniel has some sweet, less common varieties that seriously kick tail.

Garrett.

I forgot what Bob (lanman) has but in his 240G main tank, there was a really beautiful, funky, anemone, colorful like the pix above. And it was on the right side of your tank Bob.

Bob probably knows the scientific name for his corals since he scout the net with reading even more worse than most of us when stuck at something/issue/question.

I forgot what Bob (lanman) has but in his 240G main tank, there was a really beautiful, funky, anemone, colorful like the pix above. And it was on the right side of your tank Bob.

Bob probably knows the scientific name for his corals since he scout the net with reading even more worse than most of us when stuck at something/issue/question.

Mine is a stichodactyla tapetum - also known as maxi-mini, because they are LARGE for a mini - mine is about 6-7" in diameter. They do NOT generally split in captivity. They CAN be cut in half, and manually split.

Mine has taken to hiding a bit, so I can't get a current picture - but it hasn't changed much from a year ago:

sticho1.jpg

When I say it's hiding - it moved a whole 3 inches. That's all it has moved in over a year.

bob

Edited by lanman

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have any of these? Would love to find one for my picotope. LMK. Thanks.

J

Edited by Jan

Someone certainly should - seems like quite a few people purchased them a while back. And the rate those small ones divide - they should have tons.

bob