mysterious colony of...

zygote2k

Just got a frag the other day that was mounted to a piece of dead blue ridge coral. The tube worm on the right is not the subject- it's the short patch of what looks like hair algae and cyano. I tried to scrub it off but it was very resistant, so I stopped and placed it back in the DT. I was looking at it today and then suddenly it did this:

gallery_2631654_455_221728.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_28455.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_306633.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_562561.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_553439.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_54593.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_493487.jpg

Edited by zygote2k

the "hair algae" retracts. Look at the series of pictures carefully and you'll see that it retracts then reappears. It's definitely not HA- it's an animal of some sort. The colony reacts in the presence of shadows or motion. If this is HA, then it is intelligent.

The picture are in sequence over the course of a few seconds. I apologize for the clarity- I don't have a macro lens that will allow this kind of closeup. The colony is only about 1/64" or so tall.

In the interest of full disclosure:

- If these are a rarely and highly sought after marine aquarium addition, the frag came from me.

- If there are a nuisance, the frag came from me and I am sorry for any troubles.

Steve

Other then the worm...It just looks like algae blowing on the rock to me.

It may appear to retract as the filaments blow toward you and then reappear as they move perpendicular to your line of sight. Kind of an optical illusion.

Y'all are lookin' in the wrong place... just like I was... Here is a close-up. See the line of 'algae' just below that white shell, or whatever it is?

With:

pic11.jpg

Without:

pic12.jpg

bob

Other then the worm...It just looks like algae blowing on the rock to me.

It may appear to retract as the filaments blow toward you and then reappear as they move perpendicular to your line of sight. Kind of an optical illusion.

I thought that this was the case originally, but after watching it for awhile, it definitely isn't an illusion. When a fish swims too close or I place my hand in front to create a shadow or when the algae magnet goes by, they suddenly retract then reappear.

I thought that this was the case originally, but after watching it for awhile, it definitely isn't an illusion. When a fish swims too close or I place my hand in front to create a shadow or when the algae magnet goes by, they suddenly retract then reappear.

Intelligent algae?? (Insert Friday the 13th theme music here)

I'm guessing they are little colony filter feeders of some sort. Get us the macro-photo! Or perhaps the micro!

bob

Edited by lanman