Lighting Modifications for Biocube 29

bamainva

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has done any lighting modifications for their Biocube 29? I currently have the 4.36 PC but would like to upgrade. I am not able to do an open top because of other critters in the house. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas...it would be appreciated. I checked out nanotuners but didn't see anything other then the 4.36 for the biocube.

Also, if anyone has an idea and would like to do the modification that is appreciated, too ...:-), I don't have much in the way of frags but willing to pay. My electrical experience is not good, my wife doesn't let me do anything since I tripped the breaker to the bathrooms.

I currently have a hood that isn't being used that I would like to have the modification done to.

Thanks

Mike

If you are looking to go with metal halide but can only do a closed top, you'll be needing to invest in a chiller.

Thanks..yeah I think there may be a chiller in the future...from what I have seen it might only be MH...I haven't seen a 20in T5 but maybe there is a way to squeeze 24in in there...:-)

Mike

LEDs are cool :)

That would be an interesting mod. Take a look at the Solana from PFO. You might be able to disassemble one and fit it in the hood or build your own?

Check out nano reef there are a couple of DIY threads with people using LEDs. If you're comfortable doing some wiring you can do it yourself real cheap. One thread even had a link to LEDs that came assembled and wired in little squares which made it even easier.

Check out nano reef there are a couple of DIY threads with people using LEDs. If you're comfortable doing some wiring you can do it yourself real cheap. One thread even had a link to LEDs that came assembled and wired in little squares which made it even easier.

thanks..i'll check nano-reef out and possibly give that a try.

Pricy but here is a 150w HQI

thanks...appreciate it

looks like there are some opportunities...

thanks

Mike

Well after talking with nanotuners, I opted for another route. I found a 20 inch T5 set up at half the price of nanotuners. I am going to watch the temperature for a bit, to see what type of increase there is.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_..._p/rcu01083.htm

I gutted my old hood and cut the middle portion of the hood out. The fit was almost perfect. There is a small area where fish could jump out, but my overall goal was to have everything covered to keep the cats from falling into the tank, which I believe I have accomplished. Overall, I am happy with the way it looks and will allow me to get some other types of corals. It also has given me another hood that I can play with and try new things.

Below are some pics....I didn't get a picture from above, but it still has the front feeding portion of the hood and the cover for the filtration in the back. I have to try and get a picture of that later.

The old top

gallery_2631497_424_87949.jpg

The new look

gallery_2631497_424_123562.jpg

Blue lights only

gallery_2631497_424_76401.jpg

Nice, looks like the open top might cool it more now that the lights are above it instead of in it.

Nice, looks like the open top might cool it more now that the lights are above it instead of in it.

T5's give off a lot of heat too. It's a myth that they run cool.

I couldn't agree more. I thought T5s did not generate heat but my heater has not come on since I activated my six 48" T5s.

Temp is 80 so that's fine for now but will need other options come summer.

Let me know if u need electrical help. I just wired my retro T5s and the house has not burned down :clap:

Sugar bowl was sour :cry:

Looks nice.

Since you decided not to experiment with LEDs, I had to buy some myself. I want to see how they look and perform.

I was surprised how many sizes, shapes, color temperatures, and combos exist, and how cheap they are. Should be fun.

Thanks

I couldn't agree more. I thought T5s did not generate heat but my heater has not come on since I activated my six 48" T5s.

Temp is 80 so that's fine for now but will need other options come summer.

Let me know if u need electrical help. I just wired my retro T5s and the house has not burned down :clap:

Sugar bowl was sour :cry:

Thanks...and yes the Sugar bowl was awful

Looks nice.

Since you decided not to experiment with LEDs, I had to buy some myself. I want to see how they look and perform.

I was surprised how many sizes, shapes, color temperatures, and combos exist, and how cheap they are. Should be fun.

Thanks....let me know on the LEDs, since I have another hood I can play with.

Looks nice.

What web site did u buy your LEDs from ?

What web site did u buy your LEDs from ?

I bought mine from ebay. Type in "aquarium LED" or "LED panel" as your search and you'll find tons of cheap panels ready to DIY into a fixture. You'll also find expensive ones that seem identical.

I'll post up how mine turns out after I get it.

Recall that LEDs are DC voltage, so be sure you get one with an AC (110v) adapter unless you want to do that too.

Here are just a few examples:

460nm actinic 225 LED panel: I think something like this is going to be crazy bright. $42

LINK

Same thing in white (it says 6000k color temp on this one but I'm leery as to how it will actually look):

LINK

Here are 200 white LEDs arranged almost perfectly to fit my strip canopy for only $20 (it says 5000k and 7500k color temp on the page. again, don't know how it will actually look but hard to think a white LED will look yellowish?):

It says this is equivalent to 100 watts of light, and uses 11w of power.

This is what I bought just to play with. Seems to contain the same LEDs as expensive fixtures. If it's a total loss, it's only $20. I have a flashlight with 100 white LEDs in it,and that thing is super bright, so I'm optimistic. If it's a total loss, no biggie.

LINK

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Hey Tim, any reviews on the LED strips?

The strips arrived:

They seem bright

They have the yellowish tint you would expect from 4-6k color temperature

They did not fit in my hood. As I was trying to de-build/re-build (cut,solder, etc) one to make it fit, I destroyed it and got shocked.

I have one left.

The same seller had a similar unit in 1' lengths that I like a lot (because they have a very high density of LEDs), but he only has white.

If he had blue, I would order them. I think I would like the blue ones, as they are usually listed as 460-470nm. Right now, I'm

only running actinic on my tank anyway.

Lessons learned:

All the "white" ones I see for sale are 4-6k color. I'm not going to like any of them.

There are some blue/white combo units listed at 12k-14k, but I think there is some interesting math going on there. I think they

are averaging the white 5k LEDs with the blue to get those numbers.

Be sure to get units that fit as-is into a hood/onto your aquarium.

I'm not as good with a solder iron as I used to be.

Well after talking with nanotuners, I opted for another route. I found a 20 inch T5 set up at half the price of nanotuners. I am going to watch the temperature for a bit, to see what type of increase there is.

Love to see more pictures. Looks like you lose a bit of light due to some of the spread hitting the hood instead of being flush with the hood and shining all into the water. But looks good.

Love to see more pictures. Looks like you lose a bit of light due to some of the spread hitting the hood instead of being flush with the hood and shining all into the water. But looks good.

Thanks..

Agreed..I lose a little bit but have noticed some of the zoas and palys on the bottom don't stretch quite as far towards the top with the new set up. I am doing a little rearranging, so will get some more pics when I finish that up. Going to work on getting some of the things I couldn't have in the tank with just PC lights.

On a side note, I have not had to worry about the temperature at all...it has remained at 79-80 degree range.