Closed loop system

Sharkey18

OK I give up.

I have searched and found some beautiful plans for closed loop systems but I can't figure out how they work or what they do....please help!

I am in the planning stages for a 90g and trying to design my sump / refugium.

Laura

- Water flow, water total complete circulation in place covered by aquascaping rocks work, behind the scene. Place that is hard to get your arm reach down to clean the tank wall.

- No deadspot in an aquarium, which resulting in no red slime algael or green nuissance algae.

- Improve tank water quality and keeps your corals + fishes happy.

Edited by vaironman

easy place to put a UV sterilizer unit in line with the plumbing of a closed loop.

A closed loop does all of the above without using an overflow. It's like installing powerheads without having to look at powerheads in the tank.

Jon

That is a personal call. They are nice to have and with the closed loop you have many options for water movement(ie WAV, oceans motion or any other wave devices.) As mentioned you can also hit most areas of the tank getting good water movement without the obtrusive power heads.

Some people don't like drilling their tank so if you don't like doing that this could be an issue. You also need a second pump, I would recomend the closed loop pump be an external pump, although some people may disagree. You also have the possibility of the closed loop leaking. If done correctly this usually isn't an issue, but I have read many threads over the years about leaking fittings. The more fittings you have the more the chances of leaking.

This is just my 2 cents. Good luck on whatever you decide.

David

I think they are un-necessary unless you have an enormous tank with lots of rock work. Kind of overkill for a 90. It's like putting super swampers on a Honda Civic.

So what would you do, add in several power heads?

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of powerhead. I think they're unsightly and take away the aesthetic look of the tank, but that is just my opinion. Fishwife set up a closed loop on her tank before without drilling that looked really good. So that is another way of doing it if someone like me who is uncomfortable or not knowing if my tank is tempered or not.

So what would you do, add in several power heads?

If you know how to do nice rockwork, hiding a powerhead shouldn't be a problem. Especially since Vortechs came along.

I think some folks build closed loops because they are worried about detritus build-up which is totally un-necessary if you know how to build and maintain an active sand bed.

Hey Zygote,

can you share any info on building and maintaining a DSB. I have a 4 inch sand bed but am concerned about proper care.

Right now I do nothing...and I don't see much. No worm tracks, no visible pods etc. Suggestions much appreciated.

BTW, I am not planning on adding a closed loop to my 90, especially since it is plumbed with dual overflow boxes and split returns.

Thanks for the help on that.

Laura

Hey Zygote,

can you share any info on building and maintaining a DSB. I have a 4 inch sand bed but am concerned about proper care.

Right now I do nothing...and I don't see much. No worm tracks, no visible pods etc. Suggestions much appreciated.

BTW, I am not planning on adding a closed loop to my 90, especially since it is plumbed with dual overflow boxes and split returns.

Thanks for the help on that.

Laura

My DSB is in complete darkness in the bottom of the sump under the return pump. There are plenty of visible worm tracks on the surface. I try not to let any particulates settle on the surface of the sand. The sand bed in the display gets turned over by a sand star. I have tons of worms too. Stop by and I'll give you a handful of life to kick start yours.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of powerhead. I think they're unsightly and take away the aesthetic look of the tank, but that is just my opinion. Fishwife set up a closed loop on her tank before without drilling that looked really good. So that is another way of doing it if someone like me who is uncomfortable or not knowing if my tank is tempered or not.

Vortech powerheads are expensive, but they are not very intrusive at all in the tank. And they don't add heat, because the motor is on the outside of the tank. For a 90-gallon tank, probably one MP40, or two MP20's would be good. If the back of your tank is painted black, you could put a couple of them on the back, and that would probably take care of your water movement. For the single MP40, you would want it on one end or the other.

bob

My one trip into anemone land and he got sucked up into my power head. I thought I would be clever and put the power head surrounded by liverock so you wouldn't see it, but the anemone sure found it! I am not sure if a closed loop system would help in that regard or not.