POTM Topics!!!! Please Submit Yours!

Gadgets

I would like for all of you who have ideas for POTM topics to please submit them here. They will be reviewed and if it appeals to the masses we will use the topic for upcoming contests. Thanks for all your help.

Chris Thomas

- Aquascaping, completely irrespective of any corals or other stuff you've got. The best photos would be the ones that highlighted the overall aquascape, and then detailed how they got it to work. There are a couple threads on here about people's awesome 'scaping implementations, but it would be neat to see them all in one thread.

- Best Nano

- Best Tank < 1 yr

- Before n' After growth shots (might want to announce this one a couple months in advance to get really good pictures)

- Coolest hermit crab/snail/star (I've got a scarlet reef hermit with yellow eyes that randomly made its way into my tank somehow. It just goes to show you that even your CUC can be trendy!)

- Best moonlight shot (don't know if this would even work, I can't even get my regular shots to look right :lol: )

- I like the current favorite fish, but why not even narrow it down further? Best clown pair, best tang, best trigger, best eel, best school etc.

- Best DIY mod

Some of these are completely crappy for sure, but it's what I could come up with in ten minutes. Some of them would be hard to do with one 800X600, but maybe we can make an exception one month. Chris, I didn't want you to think that I was complaining about your contests - I was just offering a reason why I didn't enter last month's. I don't want to water down the contest to the point that the truly excellent tanks in this club aren't regularly seen, I was just trying to give a perspective on why a relative newbie (like myself and other '08 WAMAS first-timers) wouldn't enter the contest.

It would really be nice to have a meeting where people can get some photography pointers from the pros and practice right there at the meeting. There's only so much you can tell someone before you have to demonstrate. Heck, I'd pay someone to let me come over to their house and teach me how to photograph stuff with my D40 one afternoon!

- Aquascaping, completely irrespective of any corals or other stuff you've got. The best photos would be the ones that highlighted the overall aquascape, and then detailed how they got it to work. There are a couple threads on here about people's awesome 'scaping implementations, but it would be neat to see them all in one thread.

- Best Nano

- Best Tank < 1 yr

- Before n' After growth shots (might want to announce this one a couple months in advance to get really good pictures)

- Coolest hermit crab/snail/star (I've got a scarlet reef hermit with yellow eyes that randomly made its way into my tank somehow. It just goes to show you that even your CUC can be trendy!)

- Best moonlight shot (don't know if this would even work, I can't even get my regular shots to look right :lol: )

- I like the current favorite fish, but why not even narrow it down further? Best clown pair, best tang, best trigger, best eel, best school etc.

- Best DIY mod

All good ideas. I couldn't think of any. :mellow:

This is an aquarium club; besides the topics already chosen, where can we go?

Best stand? Best water damaged carpet?

I agree with the latter: Best/most disgusting reefing disaster!

-Cleanest/most organized equipment area (under sump, fishroom, etc) This one would be an incentive to clean up and organize your tank!

:unsure: I will not be submitting one for this.....

I agree with the latter: Best/most disgusting reefing disaster!

+1

:unsure: I will not be submitting one for this.....

Nor will I. How about most elaborate salt creep formation? A good snap could look like a winter wonderland.

Best cell phone shot

Best mated pair (or more)

Best anem shot

Best interactive reef shot (Petting your fish, hand feeding of the fish, being cleaned by various cleaning critters)

Great topics! Also remember that the topic should appeal to the masses. If it's too specific we can't use it because we won't get many submissions. Thanks again!

Best interactive reef shot (Petting your fish, hand feeding of the fish, being cleaned by various cleaning critters)
I like this idea the best

Here is the list of topics they use on NR. They just repeat over and over again. I've added some other ideas to the bottom

starfish

xenia

ricordea

shrimp

damselfish

anemone

pink

macro algea

gobies, blennies, & dragonettes

lps coral

nighttime

orange