CUBAKAH's 430 gallons of reef - Brightwell Neozeo system

CHUBAKAH

chubakahbanneral5.jpg

So after more than 25 years of keeping exotic cichlids, I decided back in 06 that I was going to start my first reef system. My wife and I had a custom home built in Ranson WV in Nov 07, and worked in to the design of the basement was a 100 gallon display, with a full blown fish room behind it that is about 7 feet wide by 14 feet deep.

The setup:

1. The Tank - This is a tank I have had for years. It is a 100 gallon Tru Vu acrylic display, that was not reef ready. I've drilled it and installed a closed loop system, as well as returns and outlets back to the sump.

2. The Sump - After much debate, I decided to go the 100 gallon Rubbermaid route. I couldn't be happier with the results. Attached to the sump as well I am using a Next Reef MR-1 media reactor. In this I was running Carbon as well as Phosban. As of two weeks ago, I am now running Neozeo to be discussed later in this thread. For skimming I am using an ASM 3 with no current mods.

3. The Lighting - While I started out with the compacts as I already had them, I have gone to all MH lamps. I am using an Icecap 250watt ballast with a Radium bulb in the middle, and a dual Aquamedic 175watts ballast with 10k Ushios at each side of the center light.

4. Pumps - I am using a Blueline 40 HD-X External for my closed loop system, and a Mag 5 for the return from my sump back to the display. I think sometime down the road I will upsize my overflow bulkhead size, and go up to a Mag 9.5 and utilize the nozzles back in to the display to add more flow at each side and get rid of the maxi jet I am using now.

5. Aquascaping - Back in Feb of 08 I purchased 80lbs of Figi from a LFS going out of business here in Ranson for a dollar a pound. It was fully cured. I had the tank running for a couple of weeks when I made a trip down to Dr Mac's place where I picked up another 70lbs of Figi. I decided to go with a DSB as the benefits seemed to far out weigh not having one when I was doing my research. The bed is approx 4 1/2 inches deep.

6. The Extras - While I have always been one to maintain my tanks on a daily basis, I have done much research on reactors vs dosing. My system has currently been running for 7.5 months, and to date the only thing I had been doing was weekly water changes of 20% using Crystal Sea marine mix. I've noticed the last 4 weeks or so that the corals now seem to take on more nutrients than I can replace from water changes alone, which brings me to where I am today....

The beginning as of March of 08

tank2001.jpg

Full tank as of 9-14-2008

IMG_0169.jpg

Full rear shot from the back of the tank also showing my supply stand and Q tank for new fish.

IMG_0170.jpg

Rear of tank showing lighting, and plumbing

IMG_0173.jpg

Lower portion of plumbing showing closed loop system

IMG_0172.jpg

Shot in to the rear corner showing sump, 55 gallon fresh water holding tank, and new frag tank [not currently in use]

IMG_0176.jpg

Close up of frag tank, media reactor

IMG_0175.jpg

Fuge in side sump

IMG_0181.jpg

All of the next photo's are just random shots from the tank from last week

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

The Brightwell NeoZeo Method + Dosing other Brightwell Products

Click here to download the NeoZeo Method PDF

As of three weeks ago I decided I was going to go with one brand of nutrients, and document my results as I move forward. Approx 3 weeks ago I started to dose the following products to get my water under control.

IMG_0178.jpg

Two weeks ago this Tuesday I started the Neozeo method. At that time I had two small corals RTNing on me and while it slowed the process, one of them has gone to the coral graveyard, while the other seems to be on a holding pattern.[green birdsnest frag]

Week one 30ML of MicroBactor7 per day with reactor half full of media

Week two 30ML of MicroBactor7 per day with reactor full of media

Most not all of my SPS frags have shown some results already, and are starting to show some color. A couple of the frags I got at frag fest I thought were brown, are now showing a dramatic change to green, and purple. Wish I would have taken a few before pics to show the results.

More to come as I move forward.....

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude.....Awesome tank, it looks even better in person. Thanks again for having the wife and I over......GO SKINS!!!!!

I love the job you did with the plumbing, it is very neat and tidy....and as Guy said....simple. Your tank looks great. I can't wait to see how it turns out since we started the Zeo system at the same time.

I was wondering when you were going to post your tank / set up.....looking good. I will also be watching to see how the Brightwell Neozeo system works. Is there any Miller at the house? :biggrin:

I heard a rumor about a tank tour and BBQ (because it is sooooo far to your place).

Oh wait, I started that rumor.................................... :)

I heard a rumor about a tank tour and BBQ (because it is sooooo far to your place).

Oh wait, I started that rumor.................................... :)

You guys are welcome over any time your in town. I am only like 28 minutes from your buddy Sonny [Mr Coral] BBQ's are most every Sunday for the Skins games!

Is there any Miller at the house? :biggrin:

Nope, I believe you finished that last week when you were here.

:drink:

Lush!

To everyone else who has responded, thank you much for the kind words. It's a very young tank, but it is on the way.

:cheers:

What's Neo Zeo?

You guys are welcome over any time your in town. I am only like 28 minutes from your buddy Sonny [Mr Coral] BBQ's are most every Sunday for the Skins games!

Nope, I believe you finished that last week when you were here.

:drink:

Lush!

To everyone else who has responded, thank you much for the kind words. It's a very young tank, but it is on the way.

:cheers:

Nice Mark..how bout you come over and tear down my kitchen and turn it into the fish room next...

How are those frags doing?

Very nice set ups, seems like those front mounted returns could use some eductors, also you may consider hiding them with LR outcroppings, or corals, the tank looks fantastic though! and love the fish room

Great looking tank, setup, equipment room, etc....

I look forward to watching it grow in!!

Thanks Brett,

I look forward to making it over again some time and picking up a few more frags!

the pokerstar liked being high up in my tank...also try putting the "monti purple rim something"(ATL flower petal cap) up high as well..

10-4, I'll try putting them up a little higher, but they are almost at the top right now. The birdsnest didn't make it, may he RIP.

:(

Sounds good. JLMK.

What colors you want? :)

I'll get in touch with you when I am ready, but I am thinking it will be a couple of months. I'll be looking for blue's, and purple's. I may also be interested in one of the small green birdsnest colonies you had going last time I was there, unless they are gone.

:)

Brightwell dosing regiment to date:

Week 1. I changed from the carbon, and Phosban to half to the box Neozeo in my media reactor. I dosed 30ML of Microbactor7 per day and turned off the skimmer for four hours each day after I dosed.

Week 2. I added the remaining Neozeo media, and dosed 30ML of Microbactor7 per day and turned off the skimmer for four hours after I dosed.

Week 3. Microbactor7 is now being dosed at the rate of 5ML per day. I also started dosing 10ML of Biofuel per day, however the skimmer is now being run the entire time.

Week 4. Microbactor7 is now being dosed once a week, and Biofuel is being dosed at the rate of 10ML per day.

Things to note:

About three days after I started this program, the skimmer for about two hours each day was pulling out major sludge. This had been going on each and every day until I started leaving the skimmer on like the direction suggested. The amount I would guess was more than doubled from where I was before starting this system per week.

It's been a pretty common practice that I would have to clean the back, sides and front of the aquarium about every 3 to 4 days if I wanted to to stay spotless in terms of diatoms. The amount of diatoms seemed to be decreasing right up until I added the Biofuel. Since I started the Biofuel, I have not had to clean the aquarium at all, and the production of skimmate is still at about double of what it was when I started this system.

Coral changes - I do not see any real change in terms of my LPS corals good or bad, however the SPS frags that I have are making some significant changes. I had a birdsnest, and one other frag that had seemed to be bleaching out before I started the system. One of them died, and while I wrote off the Birdsnest, it seems to be making a comeback, or at least the bleaching has stopped.

I had also picked up a few frags from the fragfest we had a couple of months back. When I brought them home they were all browned out, and up until last week they still were. I now have what looks to be two pieces that are getting some major color. [Wish I would have had pics to show the change]

The frag I got from my buddy Blaze a week ago also looks to be getting some color, as well as polyp extension this week.

More to come next week...