Live Framing

trockafella

Im sure most of you read the article in the marine fish mag about live framing, but has anyone done it, and possibly have any pictures to share.. I am going to try and do this on my new tank, i will definetly post pics.. Thanks..

PICS ARE AVAILABLE NOW...!!!!!! YEAH FINALLY, I KNOW..!!!! LOOK IN THE D.T.F. SECTION.. ITS LABELED --- PROJECT 47 "THE TOWER".

Edited by trockafella

Im sure most of you read the article in the marine fish mag about live framing, but has anyone done it, and possibly have any pictures to share.. I am going to try and do this on my new tank, i will definetly post pics.. Thanks..

never heard of it, tagging along to check this out. BTW YGPM

It's aquascaping using other structures for support like PVC for example. You build a frame for your rock and set them on it or attach them to it. There's a lot you can do with it actually, just depends how creative you are. Not sure why it's showing up as a "new" thing lately though... People have been doing that for awhile. It can be time consuming, but has it's rewards.

Edited by audible

I would love to be able to do that. Can anyone point me to some DIY instructions for various methods? It would be a pain taking all teh rock out of the tank when the tank is filled, but I think it would be worth the trouble to do it. A nice project for vacation time from work.

You might want to look up sanjay's tank. Do a search here and it'll have a link to his RC thread. He just uses towers although I think someone posted a link in his thread that used some sort of pvc "basket" to hold the rocks

Well, i think this weekend im gonna start attempting to do some live framing.. It does look like time consuming, but time well spent could be well worth it... I plan to take pictures and will try to post on here.. If i can figure out how to post pics on here...

You might want to look up sanjay's tank. Do a search here and it'll have a link to his RC thread. He just uses towers although I think someone posted a link in his thread that used some sort of pvc "basket" to hold the rocks

FYI - Sanjay used both acrylic and fiberglass rods. I can't remember which one worked better, but I think it was fiberglass. He used a cement paver as the base, then drilled the paver and his rock and inserted the rod and some type of cement to bond the rock stack.

See here for start of his discussion on how he built the structure: Reef Central - Sanjay thread page 28

This photo from that thread (Sanjay's):

rock-pillar-3.gif

rock-try-4.gif

updated with quote from Sanjay

The acrylic rod flexes some.. so I may have to eventually glue the rocks together to provide the rigidity.

Yeah i think i may incorporate both methods.. I really like this idea as well.. I am going to be using a 47gal column tank, it is 20 x 18 x 30. Not a lot of ground space so i dont want a big pile, plus this is much easier to work in this tank with these live frames.. I am hoping to start on it next week, if i can wait that long... I need to get the supplies and then some rocks.. Money has been a little short due to the fact that my last tank broke and i am kinda starting all over.. But, hopefully next week i will get some rock and start to get the ball rolling.. Btw i want to start posting pics but cant seem to get them to ever come on toa post.. any suggestions..?

No i havent seen his tank.. Yeah, im typically not that creative either, but i really wanna try to do something unique, and hopefully help other people realize the diversity in tank designs that can be done.. After joining here and looking at all these different tanks and different structures people have, it made me realize that i wanted more than a big pile. Nothing against the big pile, but its hard to work with, limited access and a lot less coral space.. Everyone has there own preference and for me its just a chance to dare to be different.. I dont think this is going to be an easy 1 afternoon thing, im sure it will consume plenty of time and headache, but no sacrifice no victory..

So, for the last 2 nights I've had dreams about my liverock....

Dreaming about trying to arrange them. I used to have a 45g which is only 12" wide - I re-arranged the rock practically every time I changed the water (no sump then, had to do directly from tank). When I got the 65 which is 18" wide, the rock went in and that was that. It's not fantastic, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I was able to manage with the 45.

What kind of dreams do you have about live rock..? Cant say ive ever had those.. Just nightmares of rock slides...

My tank dreams are basically the same every time. The glass breaks and floods my hardwood floor.

I've been thinking about redoing the rockwork in my 30 but the four pieces I have a large pieces so it limits my options. Maybe if I break one into chunks I can do some of the tower stuff. It would open up for more flow through the rocks too.

I had that dream/nightmare happen a month ago, my 70gal acrylic came apart on one side and poored out on my floor at 530 in the morning, it sucks.. Hope your dream doesnt come true... I was gonna do a 65, but decided i was gonna do this 47 column tank, something i havent seen on here... It doesnt have much ground space so i knmew i need to build up, but the "pile-o-rocks" just wasnt gonna work this time... So the live framing was my answer.. I read about a couple months ago and was kinda like, oh thats cool but not for me, to much work.. But after the old tank broke it was my chance to do something completely different.. Thats when i had the epiphany and decided to live frame.. So this weekend im gonna start buildin the rear wall frame which is gonna be the pvc style frame.. I can stack rocks and hide power heads in them as well.. Next week i will make the column style frames with the acrylic rods and paver stones... Hopefully next weekend it will be up and running.. Pics will be posted of the project.. If this works, which it should, i would be happy to help others interested in doing this... I hope my thread will help others realize that it isnt that hard and the reward can be great... Thanks to all who are riding along on this one...

Edited by trockafella

I've had dreams in the past about the tank, some good some not so good. A not-good one was that there was some kind of monster fish in the tank.

I'm probably going to have to take my rock apart to catch the yellow tang that I am planning to sell or trade. That would be my opportunity to change it around, but I Aquamended some crucial points.... how easy does that stuff break apart when used like that?

Edited by treesprite

Do you think its sad that we dreams about rocks and monster fish in a tank... I dont know if i would share these things with people outside the hobby.. lol... But here its ok, we understand... I used to have a some small snakes and i used to have nightmares about them all the time... I have had a few girlfriends who gave me nightmares as well.. Im sure im not the only one... haha..

hobbies are for giving ourselves mental vacations, so I look at the dreams as an extension of my hobby.

I re-did my liverock today, seeing if I could do something with it without using any PVC or rods or anything. It looks like it will be ok, but I'm going to get some Aquamend. I had it in crucial points before and now I see that it was pretty tough; there is some stuck on the liverock which I can't remove.

Well the project has began.. It is definetly a lot of work and very time consuming... I will get pics up soon... Btw, should i move this thread over to the projects section or just keep it here...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the pvc framing has been a real pain.. It is cominmg along, but slowly.. I just picked the acrylic rod yesterday and hope to have those assembled in the next couple days, a much easier project than the pvc.. I will get some pics up.. i left my camera at my buddies house where we are doin the work.. but i will try to get those up soon... They make it look so much easier than it really is.. Hopefully it willbe done around the same time as the tank is done cycling, so we can get to the fun part..!!!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

SO THIS WAS ONE H-E-double hockey sticks OF INTERESTING PROJECT, I HAVE MOVED AWAY FROM THE PVE FRAMES, THOUGH I THINK THEY ARE A GOOD IDEA, MORE SPACE IS REQUIRED THEN MY TANK ALLOWS FOR.. AGAIN, I AM DOING THIS IN A 47 GAL COLUMN TANK.. I WILL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ON THE PROJECT... THANKS TO ALL THAT BEEN FOLLOWING AND NOW THE REAL FUN BEGINS.. WELL, IN A COUPLE WEEKS WHEN THE CYCLE IS COMPLETE... I AM OPENING A NEW THREAD IN THE PROJECT SECTION.. IT WILL BE LABELED PROJECT 47 "THE TOWER"...

Edited by trockafella