STNing wont stop!!!!!!!

phisigs79

ok 3 weeks after trying to fix a low PH problem that started bleaching and it still hasnt stopped. Had a kalk overdose and then a week or two of low PH during my wedding. Cut back lights because i thought the bulbs i got two months ago finally burned in and changed out my carbon around the time of bleaching event. Seems that no matter what i do now all my corals are showing bleaching. Acans dont look good either. I started dosing 2 part to try to get things balanced but besides the low PH at the start of the bleaching event my other parameter were on target for the most part. PH has been in the 7.9-8.1 range for the past three weeks. I have done 2x15g , and one 25g water changes over a two week period. Im lost right now, in my 3 years in this hobby i have never seen something like this that seems so uncontrolable and unable to explain. Am i missing something???????????I have lost quite a few colonies and alot of most of my corals. I'm ready to throw the towel in

Salinty 1.024 (little low)

Mag (was little low can remember what it was)

PO <.03

ALK 8 ish dkh

CA 360-380

PH 7.9-8.1

Nitrate 0

Ammonia 0

yep

I think you have answered your own question. Stability is more important than any target number whether you are looking at pH, temperature, calcium--whatever. You have had pH swings, lighting changes, massive water changes, new bulbs, fresh carbon and more over the past few weeks. Get your parameters within the acceptable range (not necessarily where you ultimately want them to be) and give your tank time to settle down, then slowly adjust from there.

its hard to watch my pride and joy get worst and worst each day.

Your corals are probably stressed and have no energy reserves, due to bleaching (loss of zooxanthellae) from the pH events. I would bump up the nutrients a little bit, cause the corals to brown out and get some more zooxanthellae growing in them. Not too much to be toxic, but maybe 0.5ppm PO4 and 7-10ppm NO3. A brown coral is a healthy coral. Also maybe try some low intensity full spectrum bulbs to help out those zoox cells. Once the corals are fed by more algae in their tissues, you can worry about getting the water clean and their color back. Best way to bump up nutrients would be with coral food like Frenzy or reef Chili, as they would feed the corals directly as well.

Good luck

Justin

What would a poly filter do?

Where can i find a poly filter?

nitrates are 0

Yes but havent tested it lately. Ill get back to you.

the first issue I look at for a bleaching event is normally a heat event- usually tooo hot, but rarely it could be too cold. Note temp gages are notorious for going bad over time- good idea to have two gages and maybe a glass thermom to back them up. I would also note that it takes a significant amount of time for the corals to recover from a heat driven bleach event. I have had a sunset monti, and pavona take two months to recover from a heat bleaching event when the tricolor acro had recovered at about a month and the digitatas, and plating never were totally effected, just lightened up. Phos can create a bleaching event as well but less often, and corals recover from a phos spike a bit quicker after you bring down the phos.

(edited)

Thanks Lee its good to see you still check the boards. You should see that toadstool you gave me about a year or more ago. Its a monster! I dont know if i had a heat issue when i wasnt home but it never gets past 81 and if it does the lights are programed to go off. I verified the controller temp with a glass thermometer and its right on. Stuff is still STNing on a few peices. I have been feeding Cyclopeeze everynight to see if it helps

Edited by phisigs79

Do you have any pics? Are they RTNing as in all the tissue detaching from the coral skeleton and sloughs away or are you talking about the tissue receeding like from the bottom up or top down? I just want to make sure because a lot of reefers use the term RTNing when it is actually something esle.

Tissue is detaching

TDS 3ppm on RO output

I will offer my humble opinion.

The described bleaching event began after changing the carbon. If you have not already done so, remove the carbon. Dan's suggestion of contaminants is a strong possibility. A possible remedy for this may be water changes.

pH swings can be reduced by increasing your alkalinity. That can be done with additives or with water changes.

Your signature describes your setup of 115 gallons and you have made 15g, 15g, and 25g water changes in two weeks. Thats roughly 15%, 15%, and 22%. That's not very much. I suggest greater water changes. You may consider this crazy, but I suggest 25%-33% water changes. And I suggest performing that 2-3 times in one (1) week if necessary.

Edited by Almon