My lionfish is dying? I think.

I don't know what happened I used to feed him once or twice a week and he would take anything I gave him. I'd give him krill and silver sides and he never turned them down. It's been almost two weeks since he's eaten now. I made a panic move today and went and bought a yellow tail blue damsel... the first thing the lion ever ate in my tank. Wen't to the meeting and came back and it's still there out in the open lion hasn't touched it at all.

What can I do? Any other suggestions?

I've had him since November of 2007.

n209700230_30713861_1630.jpg

Things he's ignored so far:

Silver Sides

Krill

Mysis/Mysid Shrimp

Live Yellow Tail Blue damsel (Hangs out less that 4 inches from where the lion is perched as I post this. :cry: )

First thing to check is always the water parameters. They are very sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Have you been removing what he doesn't eat? Also, check your temperature and make sure the water is well oxygenated.

Buy the ORA Snowflake Clowns from BRK and drop them in the tank. IME, real expensive fish almost always entice other fish to eat! :eek:

How often did you feed it krill?

Krill fed as a regular staple can lead to lockjaw as krill is nutritionally deficient. Usually, it is often to late to do much once the signs start occuring. Hopefully, this isn't the case.

I would contact Kelly Jedlicki (Puffer Queen) over at Marine Depot forums, as she is the one that has linked krill to this problem in predatory fish.

Edited by jhn

(edited)

I fed Krill probably 4 out of 5 times... silver sides the other. I had no idea about that I'd never heard such a thing. I'm going to do more research. :why:

I found the thread on the marine depot forums, I guess if I lose my lion I will send it away for examination. I also found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCsJwY7hMc4

TUBE FEEDING A LION FISH.

I'll give my lion another week until I attempt this.

Because despite being about 2 weeks since he's eaten it's almost been a full month since he's eaten a "full" meal.

Edited by jason the filter freak

Jason,

I've been tagging along since I have a dwarf fuzzy. I have been reading posts on lockjaw & from what I understand, your lionfish's mouth would be locked in the open position if it had the lockjaw. In another thread where a person was experiencing a similar problem as you are, Fenner explained that if you feed the lionfish too much or too large a pieces, then the extra food can stay down in the fish's gut too long and can cause a blockage in the digestive tract. Fenner had no solutions except to allow time for it to clear up & to make sure that you feed smaller pieces of food only a couple of times a week. Fenner also frequently suggested that people feed their lion's ghost shrimp if they would not eat.

I hope your lion eats soon. :(

I don't have it anymore but Jason you should put the link to that video with the lionfish you sent me yesterday.

See if anyone thinks it's something we might be able to try?

nvm, I apparently haven't been following this as thoroughly as i thought...

it's already up here... :blush:

lol.

Edited by mexicanjavafish

We talking fresh water ghost shrimp?

Yes. According to what I have been reading, Live ghost shrimp are one of the foods recommend for their feeding routine. I have been feeding them to my fuzzy once a week in addition to smaller pieces of silversides and myasis shrimp. All my lion ate for a long time after I bought him was the live ghost shrimp.

I have yet to find an article documenting lockjaw other than speculation. Apparently, this stop feeding behavior in lionfish is a common occurrence, attributed to the likes of lockjaw, intestinal blockage, parasites & other assorted diseases. Some have recommended the use of medications for bacterial & parasite infection. If your lion shows that his belly is pinching in, then I would force feed him & maybe treat him for both parasite & bacterial infection. Just my two cents.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Well if he/she does not make it, I hear there are a few extras in the ocean right now.

Just release him in the ocean. I hear there is plenty of natural food there! Lots of articles on it.

Just Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it recovers.

Force feeding failed. I have now isolated him in a 12 gallon bowfront acrylic tank and am using halo sheild to treat him. I'm going to try and feed him a gold fish in his new home just to get his strenght up till I can get him back on silver sides.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not eating... I've tried force feeding a mysis/brine muixture 3 times now and he spits it out every time :cry: .

It must be almost 2 months since he's eaten...

List of food items I've tried:

Yellow Tail Blue Damsel(live)

Gold Fish(live)

Minows (live)

Mysis (free floating)

Ghost Shrimp (live)

Bamboo shrimp (live)

Krill (frozen)

silver sides (frozen)

He does not have lock jaw, periodically I catch him yawning

I'm thinking about taking him to an LFS for credit at this point and see if they have better luck with him.

Any other ideas?

So the problem is not that he's not trying to eat, it's that he can't keep it down? Sounds like it's got something stuck or an internal injury somewhere, perhaps a tumor. I don't see how it's fair to bring it to a store for credit since they will turn around and sell it to someone else... plus, I don't see how transferring and stressing it will help any more, unless it's going into a pristine and ideal system.

Have you tried to put it into a larger system or a reef? Perhaps it's simply a problem with the size of the tank.