ctreptow's dual 75 rebuild

(edited)

The Rock is in place.

I put the 3 parts in and siliconed them to the back. I then foamed the top to bring it above the waterline and help secure the rock to the back. The wood is there to help hold the rock to the back.

I used the great stuff foam for the top and seams because it sticks better to vertical surfaces then the pond foam does.

The foam has already hardened and I can't believe how well the parts are being held in place.

from the front.

gallery_339_454_1207632.jpg

from the side

gallery_339_454_1153491.jpg

Big holes for fishies

gallery_339_454_1028603.jpg

gallery_339_454_390109.jpg

Close up

gallery_339_454_283972.jpg

I will let it sit for week to harden and cure in place.

Chris

Edited by ctreptow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The almost completed project.

Front

gallery_339_454_336735.jpg

gallery_339_454_37166.jpg

Side

gallery_339_454_444905.jpg

I still have fans to install and I may do some free standing pieces to hide the CL outlets.

Chris

this looks awesome! I have been thinking about doing something like this for some time. I am curious to see how well the sand holds up that you epoxied to the foam.

Yep my thoughts as well. I can tell you I can't wipe it off, and I am hoping the exposed foam will cover with coralline quickly.

Chris

We have water

It's great to see water in the tanks again. I finished the plumbing and lighting on the non foam side. The water has been added and my rock has come out of hiding. I also added some new rock from Marco Rocks.

Chris

Front

gallery_339_454_308556.jpg

Side

gallery_339_454_307408.jpg

The water has cleared here are the latest shot.

The sand held well to the foam but some has come off. No foam has broken off and everything seems stable.

gallery_339_454_1511728.jpg

gallery_339_454_760258.jpg

Non Foam tank

gallery_339_454_1087910.jpg

And I finally completed the basement sump setup.

I have the tanks overflowing into a 20 gallon tank where my skimmer pump is located. I set the flow so that %95 of the water coming back from the tanks goes through the skimmer before entering the 100 gallon stock tank. The water is pumped back upstairs with a Blueline 75 pump.

gallery_339_454_1027611.jpg

• 7 months later...

Oh yeah just let me know... I need some frags to feill the tank..

:)

Chris

Sweet! Thanks for the update. I can't wait for the corals and get some color in there! :D BTW, you wanna come over April 12th to help move my tank? hehehe

Your hippo tang is in the exact same spot he was in 6 months ago. Lol.

It's actually a decal on the front glass....

bob

How exactly did you sculpt the foam?

I like the decal comment.. The Hippo loves to play in the powerhead current that flows there.

I molded the foam by just breaking off the edges and used a fork and knife to cut it around rocks attached to the egg create. I just cut and played with ti till I thought it looked good.

Chris

• 8 months later...

Tank Update

Hi All

Last fall I noticed a small leak in the foam rock wall tank, so I contacted Naga for a replacement. He delivered an awesome 75 gallon replacement tank with external overflow.

What I learned from Rock Wall.

The foam held up good even under the lights. When I removed the structure the foam had not deteriorated at all and the rock and sand were fully embedded. That being said that

Thank guys

During this restart I replaced all the sand with new agronite from Marco Rock. I also replaced ny Maxijet mods with Korilia Magnum 5's and added the mag rock I saw on El Camaron's tank :) to fill the center...

The sump is still in the basement but I am running 2 skimmers now with filtersocks and carbon.

I am looking for a Kalk stirrer at the present time so if anyone has one let me know.