Why external overflows?

FishWife

So, inquiring minds want to know. Why do people put external overflows on larger tanks, and how (physically) do they work? Are they preferable, and if so, why?

I put an external over flow on both my Afarm (shown below)

IMG_2247.jpg

and frag tank (shown below)

IMG_2264.jpg

As you can see, I got a little double duty on the frag tank external overflow.

The crate I use over these over flows was removed for picture clarity and remain in place.

I did this because;

I could

I did not want to take of floor space inside the tanks

I had room and great spots to do it

it's just plain sexy looking

I think those people enjoy floods. Except flowerseller and steve outlaw's tanks are the exception. I would avoid those cheap u-tube style overflow boxes though.

Edited by audible

We use external overflows because we have glass tanks and are unwilling to drill them.

As far as the U-Tube overflows, I use them and they work great....never had a problem. I have 4 glass tanks all using external overflows moving water from one to another. All use U-Tubes, including one that is home made.

(edited)

So, in looking at Dandy's 400 tank as an example, which he had custom built, he chose two external overflows with built in "tooth gates." Was that to maximize the look inside, or are there other reasons for this option, like better surface skimming, filtration, flow, etc. Or, is it purely a matter of taste, asthetics, etc.?

Chip: yes! I remember seeing your setup. Very cool use of overflows. I'm more asking why people choose them on many larger tanks.

Edited by FishWife

So, in looking at Dandy's 400 tank as an example, which he had custom built, he chose two external overflows with built in "tooth gates." Was that to maximize the look inside, or are there other reasons for this option, like better surface skimming, filtration, flow, etc. Or, is it purely a matter of taste, asthetics, etc.?

when I finally get to upgrade to a large tank, it will have external overflows. My reasons behind that are like you said, frees up real estate in the main display, allows for a cleaner look, and I feel offers better surface skimming.

when I finally get to upgrade to a large tank, it will have external overflows. My reasons behind that are like you said, frees up real estate in the main display, allows for a cleaner look, and I feel offers better surface skimming.

That's it in a nutshell. The top 3 reasons.

I think those people enjoy floods. Except flowerseller and steve outlaw's tanks are the exception. I would avoid those cheap u-tube style overflow boxes though.

I agree I had an acrylic over flow that grew hair algae like it was going out of style. I kept two hermits in there to keep the lawn in the box short.

for me i will also be using them for access. my current setup has me crawling under my tank way more often than i would like. it would be worse if i had a sump or something of the nature under there.

You have not seen a pix of Almons set up.

It's the most efficient use of j tubes and over flows into other tanks.