Frag Fest Extravaganza - Sunday July 27th @ 1:30

flowerseller

There will be a WAMAS frag fest on SUNDAY , July 27th @ 1:30

Free to WAMAS members. $5.00 to not yet WAMAS members.

JOIN NOW or at the door and attend for free as a new member.

Location will be:

Charles Wesley United Methodist Church's

We'll meet in the all purpose room with many demos held outside.

6817 Dean, Dr

McLean, VA 22101

AQUACO is donating a dinner plate sized christmas favia and another nice acro colony to frag

more to list as our vendors contact me

* enter into the frag grow out contest with prize

(flowerseller's cup coral fragged) $10 entry

* RBTA cloning demo - flowerseller

* Glass hole drilling- learn how to drill a hole, and then try it yourself. - ybenormal

* agrocrete LR making demo - Almon

* frag plug and disc making demo - Almon

* sell or auction your own aquarium equipment

* refreshments and grilled hots dogs for sale

* a clown for the kids from 2:30-4:00 and he will have balloons, facepaint and a magic show.

WAMAS will also have door prizes and the usual awesome raffle ticket items.

Raffle items so far by:

Tropical Lagoon

Mr Coral

AQUACO

BRK

others from LFS as they contact me

I got a PM asking about the sale items.

Bring your own equipment and stuff to sell or auction!

otherwise we won't have anything to sell or auction.

Please do not use this thread to offer items for sale.

I must delete them with no warning

is there a thread where people are putting what they're selling?

NO,

come experience it in person and hopefully find what you're looking for.

Volunteer list is forming and I'll get to peeps in the end of the week.

is there a thread where people are putting what they're selling?

yup

yup

Ooopps, sorry,

I forgot about your wish list thread

Wally,

As people go thru their stuff, I'm sure you'll see some good stuff to pick up at the frag fest.

(edited)

We've just added a hole drilling workshop to the event.

Learn how to drill a hole, and then try it for your self.

So maybe I will try to figure out a way to get there... I wondered if this was going to be added.

If I bring a couple small tanks someone can show me how to drill using my 20, then watch me try to not break my 10 with a drill?

What are people practicing on if not bringing small tanks?

Edited by treesprite

The glass drilling will be a demo followed by hands-on. I will stop by a glass company to pick up some glass scraps for the demo. If you then want to practice on a scrap piece of glass or drill your tanks, the drill and whatever bits we have on hand will be available for your use and at your own risk.

Cheap bits are only good for a few holes before they begin to get dull. I would recommend bringing a new bit of the appropriate size with you if you want to drill a tank.

The glass drilling will be a demo followed by hands-on. I will stop by a glass company to pick up some glass scraps for the demo. If you then want to practice on a scrap piece of glass or drill your tanks, the drill and whatever bits we have on hand will be available for your use and at your own risk.

Cheap bits are only good for a few holes before they begin to get dull. I would recommend bringing a new bit of the appropriate size with you if you want to drill a tank.

Where can you buy bits locally? I looked at HD and couldn't find any.

Where can you buy bits locally? I looked at HD and couldn't find any.

BRK sells them

They are also the ones donating the glas drill bits for the demonstrations and plan to be selling the most popular size bits after the demos conclude.

Come see how it's done and get your bits as well.

Bob,

We have a 55g tank that we can donate if you think it would be beneficial for folks to practice drilling on a real tank. It is a different experience than drilling on a nice flat piece of glass that is easy to move around and not 3-D.

The glass on this tank was 99% drilled (using a time consuming dremel) when stress on the remaining area to be removed caused it to snap out and crack the tank.

As it is going to end up in the trash anyway, it would be nice to have it be useful as a training aid. And we can always share our lessons learned with members too........... (don't let the wife have the dremel after hours of working on the tank to finish the job with a large towel to protect the glass at the bottom.......)

What I want to do if I can make it to the meeting, is bring a 10g tank for me to practice. If I don't mess up, then I will need to get a bit so I can drill at home, but how expensive are they approximately, and where would I get one of those wood block hole guides?

What I want to do if I can make it to the meeting, is bring a 10g tank for me to practice. If I don't mess up, then I will need to get a bit so I can drill at home, but how expensive are they approximately, and where would I get one of those wood block hole guides?

10g tanks have very thin glass. If you can drill that without it breaking (and I believe you will be able to), you can drill the larger thank with no problem. The hole (intentional misspelling--couldn't resist the pun) purpose of the demo is to show people how easy it is to drill glass and to help reduce their angst.

If the "wood block hole guide" you are referring to is the jig that I used when drilling my 75g, I made that by drilling a hole in a thin piece of plywood. The jig is not required though and the demo I will be doing will be sans jig.

Will we have name tags like what we had at the BRK social? Not having them at the Mr. Coral social was a pain!

Yes, we will have name tags.

WAMAS Members may now earn extra months of membership by referring new members! Click here for details.

For the Frag Fest only: Attend and bring in a new member (the new member must join and pay for membership at the Frag Fest) and we will add TWO EXTRA MONTHS to your next renewal!

You must be present, your membership must be current, and the new member must join at the Frag Fest to qualify for this offer.

We have a clown coming from 2:30 to 4:00. BUT only You will know that it will likely be longer! Why? Have you ever seen anyone walk away from a funny clown? He will come as Mr. Funnyman- dressed in a funny outfit. He can bring balloons, facepaints and comedy magic. Bring the kids to enjoy this event while you enjoy yours.

Did anyone come across a Backyardigans backpack during cleanup? My son left the bag (filled with the small Army men toys) and a blue towel on the stage yesterday. Wanted to check and see if anyone came upon it before I dial up the church.

BTW, I had a great time at my first WAMAS Frag Fest. Learned a lot, and it felt just like Christmas when I got home and opened up the cooler. All the frags I snagged are doing great except the Xenia. I don't think the Xenia appreciated such a long day in the zip lock bag.

Great to meet you all and glad to be a member.