What could be causing this coral problem...

lanman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you have to love about this hobby. I got a response via PM from another very successful reefer the other day in response to my query: "Any chance that the filter socks are causing it? Would skimming wet help?"

"Get rid of the filter socks. Skimming wet is unlikely to help."

:biggrin:

bob

Test for No3 in your topoff supply. Skim wet. Keep the filter socks on.

Topoff measures a trace - maybe 2ppm. However - mixing tank water right now measures more like 10ppm. Perhaps I should empty out that trash can completely after the next water change, and scrub it down with fresh water. Maybe that few inches of water that's always left is breeding nitrates.

bob

Topoff measures a trace - maybe 2ppm. However - mixing tank water right now measures more like 10ppm. Perhaps I should empty out that trash can completely after the next water change, and scrub it down with fresh water. Maybe that few inches of water that's always left is breeding nitrates.

bob

Consider 2ppm compounded by evaporation and it becomes a very real problem over a few months.

How do nitrates breed?

One thing you have to love about this hobby. I got a response via PM from another very successful reefer the other day in response to my query: "Any chance that the filter socks are causing it? Would skimming wet help?"

"Get rid of the filter socks. Skimming wet is unlikely to help."

:biggrin:

bob

It's OK, we all make mistakes sometimes.

Consider 2ppm compounded by evaporation and it becomes a very real problem over a few months.

How do nitrates breed?

Dan!! This is a family-oriented board! We can't talk about nitrate breeding!

So I can't even guess; I certainly don't feed my mixing tank. Not even with flakes. Does the IO salt mix contain nitrates? And when I need to stir it - I use a wooden board, not a dead animal.

bob

Dan!! This is a family-oriented board! We can't talk about nitrate breeding!

So I can't even guess; I certainly don't feed my mixing tank. Not even with flakes. Does the IO salt mix contain nitrates? And when I need to stir it - I use a wooden board, not a dead animal.

bob

How long do you mix your salt water before testing for No3?

How long do you mix your salt water before testing for No3?

The salt water mixing trashcan has a pump constantly moving the water... around... and around... and around... it takes me 2-3 days to fill up the trash can; then I add salt. Then usually another couple of days before I do the water changes.

This is the first time I've tested that container for No3. It had been mixing for a couple of days.

The only time I need the board is for 'lumps' and stuff that don't mix in from the water movement.

bob

• 1 month later...

Another month goes by... with no improvement in my nitrates. Still running around 25. I am still changing 40-50 gallons of water per week in the 240.

The last month I've tried running without filter socks at all. I have tried skimming a little wetter. I swapped out my assortment of powerheads for 3 Vortech's. The Vortech's are awesome!

The dsb/refugium has now been up and running for several months - if it were going to pull nitrates out, it should have done so by now. If anyone wants some broad-leafed caulerpa; I am harvesting tons of it!

I still have some corals that are growing nicely, and others that are unhappy. For some reason, most of the montipora's are unhappy now.

Still open to reasonable suggestions.

bob

:why: my only problem with my tanks for the last ten years is to make sure i dont do water changes and try to over feed because my nirates are so low.....this is the type of problem you can have if your tanks have deep sandbeds and you dose small amounts of vodka.....I am not kidding....W HY people have any recordable nitrates in a large tank is really hard to comprehend....you only have to add a 6 inch layer of sand to your tank and add about 4 ml of voldga to your tank and you will have no worrys except are yoiur nitrates to low.....my experiences with macro algae is that it does not work....deep sand and small carbon dosing does.......Hope you give this a try....it is the real deal...so easy...so cheap....coral will change colors to something you will not believe......dont confuse 4ml of vodka to 16ml that some would but in a tank your size.....its safe ...cheap....and works....

:why: my only problem with my tanks for the last ten years is to make sure i dont do water changes and try to over feed because my nirates are so low.....this is the type of problem you can have if your tanks have deep sandbeds and you dose small amounts of vodka.....I am not kidding....W HY people have any recordable nitrates in a large tank is really hard to comprehend....you only have to add a 6 inch layer of sand to your tank and add about 4 ml of voldga to your tank and you will have no worrys except are yoiur nitrates to low.....my experiences with macro algae is that it does not work....deep sand and small carbon dosing does.......Hope you give this a try....it is the real deal...so easy...so cheap....coral will change colors to something you will not believe......dont confuse 4ml of vodka to 16ml that some would but in a tank your size.....its safe ...cheap....and works....

I'm almost ready to give this a try. What is the chemistry behind the idea of dosing vodka? How often do you do it? Will I get a huge algae bloom? I already have a few little spots with some hair algae. Maybe I should add more sand? I have about 4" in the display tank, and 5" in the refugium. Add a remote deep sand bed with 6"??

Tell me about the vodka. I think I'm at that point.

bob

Still open to reasonable suggestions.

bob

Don't be scared, walk to the light

In all seriousness I have both undetectable nitrites, nitrates, or phosphates.

So long as you have a reactor laying around which I assume you do, it is a $30 dollar investment that will pay off in two weeks.

It is also similar to vodka dosing, except that this is actually designed for tanks, and not cocktails.

:cheers:

It is also similar to vodka dosing, except that this is actually designed for tanks, and not cocktails.

some of the vodka you can get isn't even good enough for cocktails

:)

Don't be scared, walk to the light

In all seriousness I have both undetectable nitrites, nitrates, or phosphates.

So long as you have a reactor laying around which I assume you do, it is a $30 dollar investment that will pay off in two weeks.

Yadda-yadda 20 pages worth...

I don't care about the theory. I just want to reduce my nitrates, and have my corals grow 1" per day.

How much of what do I add, when and how often?? How long before I see my nitrates drop below 10??

:)

bob

Bob, read this short article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I've done it and it brought my nitrates down to zero in short order. There are risks if you move too fast. Be careful. Also, if your alk levels are high (>9), there is some evidence of burnt SPS tips. You need to be aware of that if your about to do this.

Turn off any phosban reactor that you may have running. Leave the skimmer on.

Good luck.

Bob, read this short article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I've done it and it brought my nitrates down to zero in short order. There are risks if you move too fast. Be careful. Also, if your alk levels are high (>9), there is some evidence of burnt SPS tips. You need to be aware of that if your about to do this.

Turn off any phosban reactor that you may have running. Leave the skimmer on.

Good luck.

Now THAT is what i'm talking about. Follow the directions, measure the results. I think I'll try it in my 58-gallon tank first. :)

I got another suggestion concerning my 240 today that I'm going to try. Maybe my skimmer isn't running as efficiently as it did a year ago? So - a thorough cleaning is in order.

bob

Yeah, so you read Rik's post, too, eh? Three gallons of skimmate in, what, four days? Now that's wild.

You know, before that article on RC, you had to read through hundreds and hundreds of posts to get a sense of what to do and what to watch for when dosing Vodka. The article, while it doesn't speak with the voices of hundreds who've tried it, covers the basics well enough to start somebody off. Also, it takes a very conservative approach that will likely keep you out of trouble. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this thread...

I still don't have my nitrates where I want them.

However - on advice of several people, I started doing twice-weekly water changes.

Acropora nana at its worst:

whitetips.jpg

Acropora nana tonight:

nana11.jpg

My nitrates have dropped. They seemed to be about 25-50 before. Now it is a pretty solid 25.

I added the refugium - it grows a lot of macro-algae. MIGHT have stabilized it a little - seems like it was hanging around 30-35ppm.

I added a remote deep sand bed a couple of weeks ago. Still need to give it time to work.

I still get 'areas' with cyano, and in a few places have hair algae growing. I have been picking at it. Wish my tangs would. I added a copper-banded butterfly, and even though I don't really see him going after aiptasia - as I kill off more and more of it - it doesn't seem to come back. My guess is that he is eating the small ones, and I'm killing the big ones.

Water parameters in September:

Temp 81.6

Spg 1.025

pH 8.21

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

Nitrate closer to 50 than 25...

Alkalinity - 9.8 dkH (Aquarium Systems)

Calcium - 390

Magnesium - 1170

Water parametrs NOW:

Temp 79.4

Spg 1.025

pH 8.5 (may need calibrating)

Ammonia 0

nitrite 0

Nitrate 25

Alkalinity - 8.4 dkH (Aquarium Systems test kit)

Calcium 340

Magnesium 1080

Po4 0

Could the calcium and magnesium be lower because of the frequent water changes? Without meauring it - can someone point me to the parameters of freshly-mixed Instant Ocean?

Any further suggestions?

bob

Looks like things are looking up for you, congrats! I'm pretty sure I remember measuring fresh IO at 360 Ca and 1300 Mg. I'm interested to see how the sand bucket does for you in a month or two. Did you start the vodka protocol?

Could the calcium and magnesium be lower because of the frequent water changes?

Your Alk is lower too, so it could also be increased demand from new growth now that things are doing better.

Looks like things are looking up for you, congrats! I'm pretty sure I remember measuring fresh IO at 360 Ca and 1300 Mg. I'm interested to see how the sand bucket does for you in a month or two. Did you start the vodka protocol?

No vodka... yet... I have some hope for the sand bucket - after two weeks on there - this is the first time I can really say that the pink is certainly not over 25 nitrates. At various times it has 'probably' been 25 - but who can tell with the 'shades of pink' measuring kit? If I see it certainly at 20 in a week or so - I shall bow to the bucket. I also added phosphate remover to my media reactor. So a little of this... a little of that... sooner or later, I'll have a real tank.

bob