DC Reefer's I need help with my 300 Gallon tank!

:bb: Update :bb:

Special thanks to Blaze98 (& Fam) and Brian Ward.

Well I've got some plumbing done! I have kept smaller tanks pretty much all my life but I have never had the space and ability to keep a large tank, well up until now. Blaze98 and his lovely family stopped by and sacrificed just about 8 hours over the weekend to help me with the daunting challenge of plumbing with PVC! I had previously drawn everything out before he got there, even used MS Visio, but we talked it out and re drew everything again! We cut all of our pieces, assembled everything (without glue of course), made a few minor adjustments, re cut, re assembled, and then finally on day 2 we glued! Here are a few pics of what we have!

gallery_2631464_409_8577.jpg

This is me with the left drain assembly. (Way too Excited!)

gallery_2631464_409_25522.jpg

This is Blaze98 with the right drain assembly. (Super Cool as always!)

gallery_2631464_409_1112.jpg

Left drain being installed.

gallery_2631464_409_7777.jpg

Right drain being installed.

gallery_2631464_409_14622.jpg

Under side of tank plumbing coming from both drains into Sump's bulkheads.

We built the returns but by the end of the day both Upper Level Managements were ready for the quitting bell so I will connect those to the tank on Tuesday and start testing for leaks and potential problems.

:rollface:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, it was no problem, and it was good catching up with you again. My son enjoyed playing with your kids and my wife loved meeting you and your family. It definitely won't be my last visit, I can't wait to see some water in that thing.

Guest Zimzdoodle

Once you are done with construction that will be a pretty sweet tank! I'll be waiting to see the results :biggrin:

Hate to throw this in there after you plumbed it, but you might want to consider adding a couple of unions so that you can remove the plumbing if necessary. This helps so that you can do smaller maintenance jobs here and there when needed, although you may not need that seeing as your tank will not be moved!

Hate to throw this in there after you plumbed it, but you might want to consider adding a couple of unions so that you can remove the plumbing if necessary. This helps so that you can do smaller maintenance jobs here and there when needed, although you may not need that seeing as your tank will not be moved!

I talked with him about unions when I dropped off the saw. I'm not sure if he included any or not.

The pvc is not glued into the bulkheads yet, there is still the option of adding unions, but for right now there aren't any installed.

I would add them in, then, as it will make maintenance easier. Also, since it's not glued... ;) I would make sure that the ball valves you have are glued so that they are facing down for ease of turning. Also, you might want to consider the true union ball valves (Lowes carries these). They really help a lot in plumbing and maintenance. I would also avoid the rubber gaskets that you have on there. I don't know that they're not reef safe, but I also don't know that they are reef safe so I would avoid them. They are typically used for sump pumps and waste lines from what I have seen, so I'm assuming that they have some sort of fungicide in them, although I could easily be mistaken. One last thing, have you considered using flex PVC instead? It's very easy to use and would eliminate a lot of the elbows you have on there which in turn would also increase the flow capacity. You can get it at Lowes, BRK, or order it at Savko.com. I'm pretty sure you can also get it at other local stores, too.

Thanks for all the great advice! I will be going to Lowes and getting some unions! Davelin, good call on the rubber gaskets, I checked them out a bit more and you are right they should not be used with potable water! Whew that could have been a costly mistake!

I really want to do a closed loop on the tank but I am really scared about drilling it! Its built in now and if anything goes (ie cracking) this will become a very large terrarium!

Any advice?

Honestly, Upper level management would not take kindly to this becoming a 300 gallon Flower pot!

I currently have a Mag 12 that I was planning on using for the Return, but after a visit from Brian Ward and checking out a few more large tanks, I thing I am going to plan to upgrade to a Reeflo Hammerhead! If I do go with a close loop I think I am going to use a Barracuda to power it!

wow what size are your drains and returns. the hammerhead does 5800 gals. alot for a return unless you are running several things on it at once. also how many drains and returns do you have

I have used those rubber unions everywhere for years and have never had a problem with them. They are the best because they give directional flexibility in addition to union capability.

Also I would use a Dart as a return, much lower wattage especially when you put a little head pressure on it.

Tagging along, also did you get my last pm in response to your lighting question?

Hey Jason! Thanks I PM'd you.

Also I would use a Dart as a return, much lower wattage especially when you put a little head pressure on it.

I was reading up on the dart and it was recommended for apps 200 gallons or less...I figured with the amount of head (roughly 10') the dart may be a bit undersized for my needs, although I do like the wattage used over the others... The next size up rated for my app was the Barracuda but I firmly believe that its usually better to have to more than not enough so I am really leaning hard towards the Hammerhead (really started looking at the price and the price was marginal between the Barracuda and the Hammerhead) I was talking with Brain Ward and he was telling me that I could always dial it back.

If I ever decide to go larger (please do not mention this to Upper Level Management) then the pump should be able to accommodate the next tank! :wink:

I've listen to the masses and I am happy to report that I got unions today, plan to attach them tomorrow~ :wig:

Hey 143gadgets, thanks for the warm welcome!

I will post some pics tomorrow after I get the unions situated.

FWIW I use a Dart on my 550, split between the skimmer and the main tank. About 800-1000 gph to the tank, ~1400 to the skimmer.

Make sure you factor in electricity cost, I know the HH runs about 350w vs. 135 for a valved back Dart. $22/mo or $264/yr difference. That's a new Dart every year just in power savings.

I use barracudas for the returns to my two big tanks and I'm using hammerheads to drive the CL. They didn't have the energy efficient version when I bought these pumps.

I agree, it's much better to have the extra horsepower sitting there in case you need it, versus having a pump running wide open and realizing that you have more capacity available in the drain side but you don't have any way of using it unless you upgrade your pump.

• 1 month later...

Ok it has been a while!

I hope to have pics posted soon...

Since my last update, I have purchased a Barracuda pump, a couple of 1.5" Durso Standpipes and Fishwife's lights via Reefhunter... (Thanks Hunter)

Now I have to make it out to BRK to get some bits to drill my sump to attach the Barracuda, figure out some creative way to get the returned water out of the overflow and back into the tank (before I used a megaflow kit) and lastly get some water flowing through her!

Upper level management (ULM) told me that she wanted to take the kids to the beach, so I suggested the Eastern shore/Ocean City...by way of Mardela Springs, MD...ha, ha, ha, Pacific East Aquaculture here I come! I haven't told ULM of my planned stop, I figured I would just "get lost" and "Oh, let me stop here for some directions!" Ha, Ha, Ha, there I hope to pick up some really nice "show pieces" of Live rock.

Just tell ULM that you need to stop on the other side of Saulisbury for flowers at a greenhouse. Your only partly lieing, It is a greenhouse.

Just tell ULM that you need to stop on the other side of Saulisbury for flowers at a greenhouse. Your only partly lieing, It is a greenhouse.

Excellent Cover story dtfleming, unfortunately since ULM knows that BRK and Roozens are both greenhouses and run the risk of raising suspicions!

FWIW I use a Dart on my 550, split between the skimmer and the main tank. About 800-1000 gph to the tank, ~1400 to the skimmer.

Make sure you factor in electricity cost, I know the HH runs about 350w vs. 135 for a valved back Dart. $22/mo or $264/yr difference. That's a new Dart every year just in power savings.

Quite a number! HH might still be worth it if you replace all your other pumps with one...but on the other hand, then you have one point of total faliure!

Excellent Cover story dtfleming, unfortunately since ULM knows that BRK and Roozens are both greenhouses and run the risk of raising suspicions!

you might get away with something...it doesnt really look like any kind of fish store...except the signage

waaaaay back in the day when this was a newer club we had a social over there. its a really cool place. maybe just let ULM pick something....thats what i did..and my ULM spent more money than i would of!!

Edited by GaryL

...speaking of ULM... I think it's time to form a new dedicated forum on WAMAS - Underground Reefoholic Upgrade Club (URUC) where we can share tips on how to keep ULM from finding out how much time and $$ we're really spending on our hobby.

:cheers:

...speaking of ULM... I think it's time to form a new dedicated forum on WAMAS - Underground Reefoholic Upgrade Club (URUC) where we can share tips on how to keep ULM from finding out how much time and $$ we're really spending on our hobby.

Here, here!