Auctions...

Carl

If someone puts a bid in for $50 at 9:00pm,

and a 2nd bid comes in at $51, also at 9:00pm, which one wins?

-Carl

Are you not suppose to have the email notification turned on. That way the last email you get on the specified time is confirmation. Is this true?

I assume it's NOT your email that counts...its the WAMAS time stamp on the thread.

And it makes sense to me that it is the highest bid BEFORE 9:01...in my example above.

if the auction ends at 9pm, then the highest bid before 901 wins.

If the auction ends at 9:00, the highest bid that reads 9:00 wins.

Even if a bid comes in after a higher bid with a 9:00 time stamp but a lower price, the highest bid in the 9:00 time stamp wins.

9:01 and it does not count.

Email notification, while nice, is not mandatory and does not trump the forum time stamp

(edited)

E-mail notification makes it possible to tell when two bids were made - even if they get concatenated - that is the advantage. i.e. Joe bids $45 at 8:59. Fred bids $46 at 9:00. Joe, in a frenzy now - bids $47, still during the 9:00 minute and thinking Fred is going to bid again - bids $50, but is too late - his bid is at 9:01. Because of the way this board works (or doesn't work) - Joe's GOOD $47 bid and his LATE $50 bid will be concatenated into one post, with a time stamp of 9:01.

---------------------

9:01

$47

$50

-----------------------

Unless someone was watching and can verify that Joe posted the $47 bid at 9:00, only the e-mails will tell.

bob

Edited by lanman

So put your highest bid in first because it the time stamp reads 9:01 but has two posts like you showed, you loose to the highest time stamp of 9:00.

The auction rule says the time stamp determines the winner.

I don't think the board will merge your posts if there is an intervening post between them. I'll have to check on that.

BB

you are correct BB

I think Bob may mean:

This display....

---------------------

9:01

$47

$50

-----------------------

was actually entered like this...

---------------------

8:59

$47

omigosh..omigosh...I'm going to loose it...better bid again...

9:01 timestamp, but bidder thought it was 9:00

$50

-----------------------

So, both these bids are then thrown out.

Web guys,

Is there a way to remove this feature??

I for one would be pi$$ed if I bid a higher bid and 9:00 and realizing I wanted to bump, but the bump came in at 9:01 and not only came in late for BAD bid, but bumped out my GOOD Bid as well.

Can we removed this feature from AUCTIONs? If not from the whole program???

So put your highest bid in first because it the time stamp reads 9:01 but has two posts like you showed, you loose to the highest time stamp of 9:00.

The auction rule says the time stamp determines the winner.

IF the auction poster mentions that he has e-mails turned ON, and will use the e-mails to determine the winner - then the re-time-stamped but initially GOOD bid would show the correct time on the e-mail notification. I hope.

bob

I for one would be pi$$ed if I bid a higher bid and 9:00 and realizing I wanted to bump, but the bump came in at 9:01 and not only came in late for BAD bid, but bumped out my GOOD Bid as well.

Can we removed this feature from AUCTIONs? If not from the whole program???

many have looked to no avail so far. We just have to live with, or get rid of the forum. (or hopefully the seller has the emails turned on)

I did post this in an auction thread but felt it may be good to repost here:

I don't know if you guys have heard about a "sniper rule" for auctions, but I remember waay back on some forums we did auctions on there was usually a "15/15 sniper rule" which meant if someone bid within 15 minutes of the end time, it would extend the end 15 minutes and each bid within 15 minutes would continue to extend the ending until someone quit.

For example:

Auction ends at 8:00pm with a 15/15 sniper rule.

Bid comes in at 7:50

New end time becomes 8:05

Higher bid comes at 8:03

New end time becomes 8:18

No more bids.

Bidder at 8:03 wins.

I think it makes a lot of sense and have seen multiple times where people get very frustrated due to sniping.

--If I do any auctions in the future I will likely use this method to avoid any conflicts near the end of the auction.

Joe

Are you willing to police that?

I know I'm not!

If people were concerned they might get sniped, put in a bid more than a $1 that might put you over the top.

Let the chip's fall the way they do,

if your bid, or "corrected bid" shows 9:01 ,

YOU JUST GOT SNIPED,

fair and square.........

Leave the rules the way they are!

A time stamp of 9:01 = LOOOSER.

one can also discourage sniping or other bidders by bidding a lot up front and blow every1 else out of the water!

say that ppl have bidding $1 at a time and all of a sudden you come up and bid $30 more. every1 gets discouraged. they dont want to mess w/ some1 that is going to go over the top like that! it is used all the time in conventional brick and mortor auctions. it will keep ppl away!

just my $.02. :)