Peppermint shrimp

Tee

I bought two Peppermint shrimps about three months ago. After a couple weeks, I didn't the two shrimps. I thought they were dead and decomposed. Last night when the light went out for about 2 hours. I looked at my tank, and there he was. Why are they hiding all day? Does cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp hiding like this too? To spend like 30 dollar on a fire shrimp and they hire behind rock all day, then what the point?

I have a 55gal, can I put cleaner and peppermint shrimp together?

Tee

I bought two Peppermint shrimps about three months ago. After a couple weeks, I didn't the two shrimps. I thought they were dead and decomposed. Last night when the light went out for about 2 hours. I looked at my tank, and there he was. Why are they hiding all day? Does cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp hiding like this too? To spend like 30 dollar on a fire shrimp and they hire behind rock all day, then what the point?

I have a 55gal, can I put cleaner and peppermint shrimp together?

Tee

All of my peppermint shrimps tend to hide during the day. My skunk cleaners 'hang out' on their favorite rocks and corals - and can usually be seen - and will take food from my hand if offered. The fire shrimp I had for about a year was NOT shy - he would hang out near the front of the tank, and take food from my hand. I think it varies a lot from species to species and specimen to specimen.

bob

IME, peppermints will generally hide during the day. I put two in my tank over a month ago and one of them is finally starting to come out when the lights are on. It'll come out briefly searching for food and then go back to hiding. My cleaner NEVER hides and will come to my hand when I stick it in the tank. They don't bother each other...

(edited)

IME,

night shrimps: coral band, pepperminth

day and night shrimps: fire, skunk/cleaner, sexy

Coral band shrimp is a little bit territorial; however, if has large enough tank, all can live together.

Edited by vaironman

Thanks for the info guys. Then I think the Peppermint shrimp doesn't do jack, but hidding. I don't see they cleaning anything on my fishes. I am gonna add one cleaner shrimp in my 55gal.

IME,

night shrimps: coral band, pepperminth

day and night shrimps: fire, skunk/cleaner, sexy

Coral band shrimp is a little bit territorial; however, if has large enough tank, all can live together.

Thanks for the info guys. Then I think the Peppermint shrimp doesn't do jack, but hidding. I don't see they cleaning anything on my fishes. I am gonna add one cleaner shrimp in my 55gal.

It could be controlling any aptasia that otherwise could be growing. All part of the ecosystem. My "live" rock doesn't do anything but stay in the same spot, a vital part of the system though (expensive too).

I bought 2 from the aquarium company at the grand opening. So far, they been hiding under one of my soft corals. The only time I see them move was when there's food in the water. They were supposed to eat my aitapsia. Oh well, back to feeding the aitapsia with kalk.

peppermint don't clean fish.

Mine come out whenever I feed - scurry around for food, then hide again.

They serve a useful purpose as scavangers. They are generally not considered as decorative specimens, but as part of a well-rounded cleanup crew.

Do you have any fish that are known to eat them? When I got mine the dottyback kept chasing them, and I believe their disappearance was related. There's still one in my office tank and that one is out all the time.

Do you have any fish that are known to eat them? When I got mine the dottyback kept chasing them, and I believe their disappearance was related. There's still one in my office tank and that one is out all the time.

Very good point Forrest. If the shrimp feel threatened, they will definitely hide more often.

darn it, I should of spend a couple more buck to buy the cleaner shrimp. They look better, and come out during the day. Give my tank a little more life, ya know.

Tee

-----------------------------------------------------------

Very good point Forrest. If the shrimp feel threatened, they will definitely hide more often.

darn it, I should of spend a couple more buck to buy the cleaner shrimp. They look better, and come out during the day. Give my tank a little more life, ya know.

Tee

-----------------------------------------------------------

those get a lot bigger too, which would be good for tanks with small crustacean eaters like dottybacks. The cleaner shrimp my clowns killed with a hole-digging avalance was at least a few inches long. I'm not getting another shrimp because they harrass the anemone to steal food.

those get a lot bigger too, which would be good for tanks with small crustacean eaters like dottybacks. The cleaner shrimp my clowns killed with a hole-digging avalance was at least a few inches long. I'm not getting another shrimp because they harrass the anemone to steal food.

Food-stealing.. we could do a whole thread on that!!

Fish, shrimp, my big spiny starfish, hermits, Sally the lightfingered lightfoot - they all steal food from my sun corals.

bob

Thought all three of my peppermints were dead, until I re-aquascaped this past Saturday. All 3 are alive and living inside one of my big Marshall Island pieces of LR. My cleaners are always out and about. I think they are even more bold now that they have paired up.

It's a good idead to buy two cleaner shrimp at the same time for a 55gal? Or is it too small tank for two?

Tee

----------

Thought all three of my peppermints were dead, until I re-aquascaped this past Saturday. All 3 are alive and living inside one of my big Marshall Island pieces of LR. My cleaners are always out and about. I think they are even more bold now that they have paired up.