How long can a fish live in a bag?

sen5241b

Assume I ask the LFS to put extra water in the bag and keep the temperature around 70 something, how long can a fish last in one of those bags? (I may get some fish outside the DC area.)

Assume I ask the LFS to put extra water in the bag and keep the temperature around 70 something, how long can a fish last in one of those bags? (I may get some fish outside the DC area.)

I have purchased fish in Va. Beach on my way back up here. I have also stopped to have dinner on the way home from a fish store. If you're going to be a while, tell them and ask for extra water. a lot of places have compressed air and/or oxygen they can pack the fish with as well for such an excursion. If packed properly (small fish, large bag or medium to large fish in large bucket) they can live several hours. Just remember they will be more stressed than normal when you get them home. introduce into dark tank - preferrably QT - and acclimate for a long time.

Can also depend on if there is water in the bag or not??

:blush:

If you have a really long way to go you may want to invest in a portable air pump/cooler system I use them for minnows with great success as long as you keep the temp down...

If you have a really long way to go you may want to invest in a portable air pump/cooler system I use them for minnows with great success as long as you keep the temp down...

I purchased all of the left-over fish from a guy that was moving - he hauled them for an hour or so in a bucket, I drove an hour to meet him. I brought a portable air pump and airstone - put it in the bucket. Altogether, the fish were in a bucket for about 3 hours - plus acclimation - no problem!

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Ask for a larger bag and O2, and let them know you will be going far. They may also give you a styro cooler or you can BYO coolerto help keep the temp stable. They are good for 24-48 with O2 and stable temp 70-80ish.

Guest MikeInFredVA

Ask for a larger bag and O2, and let them know you will be going far. They may also give you a styro cooler or you can BYO coolerto help keep the temp stable. They are good for 24-48 with O2 and stable temp 70-80ish.

I've sent 3 batches of fish to VA from FL by ground and have lost none, but these were the breahter bags, I hope more places start using them. I'm totally satisfied with them so far.

Mike

I've sent 3 batches of fish to VA from FL by ground and have lost none, but these were the breahter bags, I hope more places start using them. I'm totally satisfied with them so far.

Mike

Someone said those can't be floated - do you know if that's correct? (I don't do it, but other people do).

Someone said those can't be floated - do you know if that's correct? (I don't do it, but other people do).

That's my understanding...the bags need contact with air for the exchange. That is not possible when they are floating...