Aquatraders Lighting

Hi everyone,

First, I am happy to say I joined WAMAS this week and I am cruising the forums and learning a great deal so thanks for everything you all share.

I am slowly piecing together my plan for my future 55g reef/fish tank. I will likely post bit-part questions until I am ready to put it all in on epost and beg for advice.

I am trying to keep within a $1,000 equipment budget and I already have the tank and stand. Obviously one of the largest out of pocket expenses and critical component are lights. I have posted in the past noting that I can not hang pendants or anything else, I need to use something with mounting legs. I am shooting for about $400 on lights.

That all said, my question is:

I noticed in FAMA an AquaticTraders 760W 48" Metal Halide for $379.00. On their web page it is listed as follows:

Total output 760W.

Approx Fixture Size: 47.5"L x 15"W x 3"H

System Support: 2x250W HQI, 4x65W CF, and 6xBluemoon LED

Odyssea Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) features:

non-corrosive powder coated housing

extra large built-in cooling fans

2x external electronic HQI ballasts

4x internal electronic CF ballast

individual power cords

tempered glass splash guard

mounting brackets

FREE item* listed below:

2x double ended 250W HQI bulb

4x compact fluorescent 65W bulb actinic blue

6x plug in bluemoon LED

URL: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=333

Any thoughts, comments or experience?

I have also looked at Sunlight Supply and Nova Extreme.

Thank you,

I got one of those Aquatrader back in the day. They are fine no fire problem. It just their ballast suck real bad. If you going with Aquatrader then you must replace the ballast. Other than that the build is nice

Oh, no fire risk, well my wife will appreciate that factor...

I got one of those Aquatrader back in the day. They are fine no fire problem. It just their ballast suck real bad. If you going with Aquatrader then you must replace the ballast. Other than that the build is nice

I would like to keep some anemones and clams in this tank (eventually). I have a standard 55G tank 48" long, need to measure the height and depth, but think the depth is about 12".

Any thoughts on total watts? I know that is not a true indicator, but finding lumens and PAR data seems to be a bit hard.

Thanks again,

this would be fine for a 55. you can keep everything with it, but I'd heed the advice that you'll need to replace the ballasts. you may consider looking for something that has MH and T5 rather than MH and CF.

Consider a retro kit to save money, if you're local I'm just finishing up a 6 bulb retro kit for a 4ft long tank and show you how it goes

I would buy other things from Aquatraders but I wouldn't want to buy lighting from them - low-budget manufacture never goes well with electronics.

Consider T5's... I've had good luck with them so far. Less heat, less power, longer-lasting bulbs. Sunlight supply makes their TEK fixtures - and you can get the 'ready-fit' fixtures if you want to mount them in a hood. My 240 has 5 60" ready-fit fixtures over it - 10 80W T5 bulbs.

bob

I second T5's I'm on my last bit of work on my retro fit kit, if you're interested I can show you bfore I send it to it's new home, let me know, you being in MD I can demonstrate the awesome power of t5's :biggrin:

I brought an aquatraders light and the biggest problem seems to be thier customer service... the boxes arrived very beat up with no directions:) anyway Its kind of buyer be aware with them...I'm happy with the product for the money:)

I brought an aquatraders light and the biggest problem seems to be thier customer service... the boxes arrived very beat up with no directions:) anyway Its kind of buyer be aware with them...I'm happy with the product for the money:)

their customer service does suck

Thanks for the advice. The Sunlight Supplies TEKs seem to be in my price range, excpet they do not include bulbs. There is a 4 bulb 54 watt (20,000 lumens) system, would that limit the types of Corals I can keep?

Thanks for the advice. The Sunlight Supplies TEKs seem to be in my price range, excpet they do not include bulbs. There is a 4 bulb 54 watt (20,000 lumens) system, would that limit the types of Corals I can keep?
I use a 5X54W T5 Retro's on a 120G and I keep everything from Softies, LPS, SPS, Clams and whatever else you can imagine. Click on my signature tag and see what my tank looks like. Edited by rsaavedra

If you are keeping a tank like that with T5s, then that is the way I am going.

I have a 55G, would you say the 4 bulb T5 would work and which bulb would you drop from your set up to adjust to a 4 bulb?

Thanks,

If you are keeping a tank like that with T5s, then that is the way I am going.

I have a 55G, would you say the 4 bulb T5 would work and which bulb would you drop from your set up to adjust to a 4 bulb?

Thanks,

Honestly I would drop the Super Actinic as the Blue+ would be suficient. Since then I'm running:

5X54W T5 Retro Kits Back to Front:

-1 Giesemann AquaBlue+

-1 ATI Blue+

-1 Giesemann 6000K Midday Sun

-1 ATI Blue+

-1 ATI Blue+

And I'm happy, also I'll be swapping the 6K for UV Lighting AquaSun and possibly adding a 6 bulb an ATI Pro Color.

For yours I would do:

4X54W T5 Retro Kits Back to Front:

-1 Giesemann AquaBlue+ or 1 ATI 12K AquaBlue Special

-1 ATI Blue+

-1 UV Lighting AquaSun

-1 ATI Blue+

1st Ballast to fire the Blue+'s (for dusk and dawn - 12pm to 11pm) and the second Ballast to fire the AquaSun and the 12K AquaBlue Special (for regular daylight - 1245pm to 1015pm) I'm in Montgomery County if you want to stop by and see it for yourself.

Raf

Edited by rsaavedra