Advice Needed on Attaching a Kenya Tree Frag

I've been unsuccessful in attaching a Kenya Tree frag. The stalk is about as thick as my little finger but not as long. I tried gluing it twice but it did not hold. I may not be gluing right or may need additional support. I

wedge between 2 rocks enough to hold. or use thule or similar to hold the stalk in place to attach. I have had less luck with just rubberbands holding loosely to the rock, but does work as well

I've been unsuccessful in attaching a Kenya Tree frag. The stalk is about as thick as my little finger but not as long. I tried gluing it twice but it did not hold. I may not be gluing right or may need additional support. I

Wreck that's a great idea. I am definitely going to try that one next time I need to attach one.

thanks. what's "thule"?

oops. that might be the bike rack for cars - duh

I think I meant tule, or whatever the bridal veil material stuff is. That netting you get with produce works as well. fishing line tick works well too.

have also used needle and thread method with sucess. rubberband works too.....with the wedge method did not work because then I would not have all these kenya trees growing in impossible to remove places due to self fragging....

kenya anyone :-) ..... almost a bad as xenia :-)

oops. that might be the bike rack for cars - duh

I think I meant tule, or whatever the bridal veil material stuff is. That netting you get with produce works as well. fishing line tick works well too.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tulle is a lightweight, very fine netting, which is often starched. It can made of various fibers, including silk, nylon, and rayon. Tulle is most commonly used for veils, gowns (particularly wedding gowns), ballet tutus, and fragging corals.

bob

I just glued mine to a piece of rock. Kept it out of the water for about 30-45 seconds until I thought the glue had set a little, then put it back in the water. Since learned that it's not a good idea to glue "flesh", but it stuck and the coral is doing great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MikeInFredVA

I use zip ties///just put it on tight enough to hold the cut end on the rock...works like a charm....

eric

I used gel super glue from wal~mart in the hardware section glue it under water make a 90 degree turn and it stuck, worked for me

Mike

I've never found super glue to work with some of the slimy corals like xenia or kenyas. The following video pretty much outlines the method I would use to do them. In the past I've tried using zip ties but find they are too rigid to keep hold of smaller frag pieces.

Sticking a toothpick through the base, and holding it down to the frag rock or plug with a rubber band is probably the least traumatizing method with best guarantee that the frag will naturally mount to the rubble.

YouTube has quite a few great educational videos on how to frag various kinds of coral using different methods.