Reduce the number of powerheads - Is the solution a Koriala?

albatross666

(edited)

I am looking to reduce the visible equipment in my tank! I have a 55 gallon tank.

In the tank:

2 Aquaclear 50 (270 gph)

2 Hdydor flo flow rotatotor devices, which reduce output, but rotate flow.

2 Aquaclear 302 (130 gph)

1 Rio 200 (130 gph)

1 Magnum 350 canister filter (300 gph) - no media

In the sump, a Mag 5 for the return.

I have tried a sea swirl, but I cannot get it to fit on my acrylic tank with the lights. So i got the flo rotators.

Can i use koralia pumps instead of all these powerheads? Would 2 of these suffice in my tank? Is the flow from the koralia spread out in a wide cone or just a wider path like the tunze?

Thanks.

Edited by albatross666

Koralias are good pumps and offer a wide dispersion of water flow. They come in 5 different output. Nano, 1,2,3,4. They are similar to tunze's but currently not controllable.

(edited)

Can i use koralia pumps instead of all these powerheads? Would 2 of these suffice in my tank? Is the flow from the koralia spread out in a wide cone or just a wider path like the tunze?

Hydor Koralias output in a V shape. I'd imagine a couple 4s would be enough, but I'll let others opine. They aren't small, though...

Edited by rsarvis

... but currently not controllable.

I have the basic Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker. So the Koralia will not work with it?

Hydor Koralias output in a V shape. I'd imagine a couple 4s would be enough, but I'll let others opine. They aren't small, though...

Are they larger than the aquaclear powerheads? I was thinking about 2 Koralia 2 pumps. If these are large, then there is no great visual advantage! Of course, the coral may like it better.

I like the seaflo maxi-jet mods, cost effective and lots of flow. I put a MJ1200 mod in my 55 and it was way too strong, I then put the mod on a MJ400, nice flow but then locked up after a week. I then replaced the prop with the Seaflo kit for a MJ600 on the 400 and it works great. I like the look of the MJ mods a lot more than the Koralias.

Wreck

I recently replaced a maxi-jet 1200 mod with a Koralia 4 because the former started rattling after a few months, which my wife did not appreciate. The Koralia works just fine, but it feels like about half the flow of the MJ mod. (I don't have any measurements to back up that statement.) A single MJ mod reshaped my sandbed and sustained various SPS (including acros) for half of my 6' 125.

Neither one of the two (koralia/MJ mod) is good for a wavemaker. They both have the same two problems: they are open, so fish/snails/etc can crawl in while it's off and be shredded or block the prop when it turns on, and due to the nature of these AC magnetic pumps, they cannot control which way the propeller spins on startup. A traditional powerhead doesn't care which way it spins (and they do spin both ways; it picks one at random when it starts up). So the propeller-based pumps need a mechanism to reverse the prop. In the MJ mod, that involves the propeller smacking into something which will chew it up real fast on a wavemaker (not to mention the noise). I'm not sure how the Koralia solves the problem.

I like the seaflo maxi-jet mods, cost effective and lots of flow. I put a MJ1200 mod in my 55 and it was way too strong, I then put the mod on a MJ400, nice flow but then locked up after a week. I then replaced the prop with the Seaflo kit for a MJ600 on the 400 and it works great. I like the look of the MJ mods a lot more than the Koralias.

Wreck

Hi

Is this the modification you are referring to:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...18525&rel=1

So this has the same effect as a koralia in terms of a wide water flow? I'll have to think about it, since this is just a tad more expensive than the koriala. But the fact that a lot of members here do not use Koralia's says a lot.

There is also a modification that tells us to cut off the nozzle on the maxi-jet for a wider and more random flow. Has anytone tried that?

Thanks

But the fact that a lot of members here do not use Koralia's says a lot.

There are actually quite a few Koralia users here. I have two Koralia 4's in my 75g right now and like them a lot. I have a couple of maxijet mods that I don't use 'cause they are too loud. I bought one of the Sure Flow adapters a little over a week ago and it was whisper quiet at first but began to hum within a day or two. I unplugged it and figured I would play with it later.

Between the mj mod, Sure Flow and Koralia, I think I'd go with the Koralia unless space is a serious issue.

The newest version of the sureflow is pretty quite. I got the first model which only came with one propeller (black). That propeller on a MJ1200 made the pump really vibrate and was pretty loud. The newest kit now comes with two propellers (same black one, but a new white one also) and the white one really quites the noise when used with a MJ1200. The black one is supposed to only be used on MJ pumps smaller than the 1200. I put the older mod kit (with the old prop) on a MJ900, 600, and 400 and it was really quite on all those. I really like the flow from the MJ mods. Quite a bit of flow for not alot of money.

I also had two Koralia 4s on my old 60gal hexagon and I was impressed with the flow. I didn't like the "V" pattern of flow that come out of them though. They were also freaking huge. I ended up selling them since I consolidated down to just one tank after I moved. After having both nanostreams and MJ mods, I don't ever see myself buying the Koralias again.

I regards to wavemaking, I've read many times that the Koralias can be used with the seio controller. Not sure how well though.

Last week, I ordered some stuff, and i ordered a Eheim Spray Bar Set 594 on a whim. I had a ups box on my door today and just set it up as my return from a Mag 5.

It has one bar spraying on one side and one bar spraying on the other side.

How would you consider this setup in terms of flow?

I have installed the spray bar as in the picture:

gallery_2631356_351_11849.jpg

Thanks!

In case its not clear, the picture in the previous post is taken from the side of the tank. The spray bar had another bar piece but it would not fit since i installed it across instead of along the back of the tank.

I am looking to reduce the visible equipment in my tank! I have a 55 gallon tank.

In the tank:

2 Aquaclear 50 (270 gph)

2 Hdydor flo flow rotatotor devices, which reduce output, but rotate flow.

2 Aquaclear 302 (130 gph)

1 Rio 200 (130 gph)

1 Magnum 350 canister filter (300 gph) - no media

In the sump, a Mag 5 for the return.

I have tried a sea swirl, but I cannot get it to fit on my acrylic tank with the lights. So i got the flo rotators.

Thanks.

My Koralia 4's put out a flow pattern that is 'lobed' ... there are areas of major and minor flow out of the front of them. Something about the design also makes these lobes 'waver' or 'vary' a bit in intensity and direction; not a lot - but a little. If you can set the Koralia in the tank so that neither of the major lobes are pointing straight at a coral that doesn't like it, you will get a pretty good spread of water movement.

They start a little noisy - and would be unlikely to work well on a 'controller' of any sort. If you take it apart, be very careful and put it back together correctly, don't break anything, etc. If you don't get it together correctly, the front end eventually will 'fly' (under propeller power) off across the tank. They are a relatively inexpensive option.

bob

I have a koralia 2 and one 3 on my 75gallon tank.

I control them with a reefkeeper II. No probelms so far.

I would put them on a 20-30 minute cycle.

I some times hear a click when one starts up. But have noticed no

other problems.

David B.