My obsession - 450g reef

Very clever idea with the bolts. The only thing I was concerned with is with such a large tank and so much weight those bpolts could crack your tile floor.

I can't wait to see more pics! I would love to come by sometime and see your setup!

Talk to you tonight!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Actually, the tiles are just stick down vinyl. Even the 450 only has 560 lbs sitting on each bolt. I think we have more weight than that with our wood burner sitting on four feet, and it's sitting on slate without any problems. The 360 only has about 450 lbs per bolt. I think the weight distribution takes care of concerns about the floor. Under the vinyl tile is the concrete base for the house.

Patti and I are really looking forward to meeting a bunch of the members from WAMAS. We'll see you there!

Edited by tbittner

It was great meeting you and Patti, my wife and I enjoyed talking with you both!

Those are some impressive peel and stick tiles. They had me fooled and I once upon a time owned my own tile business.

It was great meeting you and your wife too! We had a great time. WAMAS certainly has a lot of FUN members! :)

Yeah, I really like the random pattern tiles. It's hard to tell they aren't the "real thing" with them. And to add to the randomness is LOTS of dirt, wood shavings, pvc shavings, etc... :lol2:

The 360 is about one barrels worth from being full. Then it will be time to stop the circulation to the sump from the 150g. The predators will have to live with PH's for a day. They went for weeks before so they'll be fine. Then I'll move the two pumps from the 150 and connect them to the 360. I'll have a bit of plumbing to do tomorrow evening but I couldn't do it until I had the pumps. Then we'll catch the predators and move them to their new, bigger home. :)

Whats the stock list for the 360? The 450 looks great!

I'll let Terry give you the list, as I know that I will misspell or worse yet misstate one of the fishies who will be in the 360.

Terry seems to think that my fishing for the fish in the 150 is going to be funny - we'll see about that - I told him I would catch all but the eel - to much like a snake for me!! :scuba:

LOL....I'm sure it will be fun to watch...I was laughed at trying to catch some damsels out of my tank...with larger fish that can "bite" I have a feeling it will be AFV quality.

Just kidding...

When is the fishing party planned?

LOL....I'm sure it will be fun to watch...I was laughed at trying to catch some damsels out of my tank...with larger fish that can "bite" I have a feeling it will be AFV quality.

Just kidding...

When is the fishing party planned?

The fishing party might be tonight! :bluefish: :fish: :scuba:

BTW Your tank is gorgeous and your corals are beautiful!!

so what are you planning to use to catch the fish? big bucket and a pond net under water to shoo them into?

and how big is big ? like loch ness monster in the tank big or like ooo lets film this for hilarious replays at family gatherings big?

either way good luck and great photos following this on RC as well.

I think Patti is going to go hand fishing.

Piccasso Trigger - 5"

Clown Trigger - 7"

Snowflake Eel - 18"

Cherry Louti Grouper - 10"

Porcupine Puffer - 5" (have to keep this guy underwater at all times)

Ghost Eel - 17" (it's in a rock and rarely comes out so it will go over with the rock)

Undulated trigger - 3"

Maybe I can talk Patti into holding a silverside in the water and when a fish nails it, just yank the silverside and fish out, up and over into the 360. :lol2:

considering what you are dealing with, I would honestly get a large deeper tupperware container or even a large plastic koolaid/tea jug with the pour spout that the whole lid comes off of, using a net or a grabber to guide them into the container, put the lid on and then move to the other tank.

the eels shouldnt be too hard either if you can entice them with food inside the container then shut it. Considering the teeth involved and the potential stress, that may avoid you/your wife a few painful bites.

I have a large porc puffer and that is how i move her. the container trick enables keeping her under water and calmer due to not seeing outside,

when she was smaller id use a common fish container (specimen container) and scoop her under water with that and move her or check her over if she was sick.

Good luck and hope it goes well.

the eels shouldnt be too hard either if you can entice them with food inside the container then shut it. Considering the teeth involved and the potential stress, that may avoid you/your wife a few painful bites.

OK - Honey I've decided that I am the better one with the camera - SOOOOOO I'll be doing the filming and YOU can do the fishing!!! lol :lol2:

Thanks for giving me the heads up on missing out on the painful bites - otherwise he might have actually talked me into the fishing end of this deal! ;)

We got the LR moved, then moved the fish. I still have all my fingers and toes. So far, no damage done to the fish either. They all look pretty healthy. We got the glass tops on the tank and we got the lights installed. They really light the tank up! We're very happy with the lights so far. I want to see them tomorrow afternoon when the reef lights are on at full, so I can compare the two tanks.

I have a rock of brown mushrooms in the reef that I think I'm going to move to the predator tank just to see if corals can survive in the predator tank.

No pictures tonight, the water got cloudy again. Hopefully by tomorrow the water will be cleared up and I can get some decent pics. I ordered another 100 lbs of LR for the predator tank too. I'll cycle it in the 55g tank for 6 weeks before putting it into the predator tank.

No sign of our new, beautiful Queen Angel. I'm afraid she wasn't big enough to avoid the mouth of the grouper. :(

I DID move the grouper from the 150 into the 360 as fast as I could though. I didn't want Patti to see it in the net. I have a feeling that she had a frying pan of oil heating up for it.

sorry to hear of the angel, but congrats on moving them all over, im sure your both happy thats over with.

the 150 going to another room or are you gonna ue it as a frag/ growout tank?

(edited)

FTS of predator tank (that is 200 lbs of LR):

IMG_0945.jpg

Some of the occupants:

IMG_0946.jpg

Undulated:

IMG_0948.jpg

Clown:

IMG_0949.jpg

Picasso:

IMG_0950.jpg

FLASH!!! (Cherry Louti Grouper)

IMG_0951.jpg

Snowflake:

IMG_0954.jpg

Can you find Puff Daddy? (porcupine puffer)

IMG_0955.jpg

My experiment of corals in the predator tank. A really inexpensive brain:

IMG_0952.jpg

And shrooms:

IMG_0953.jpg

Latest FTS of the reef:

IMG_0947.jpg

Edited by tbittner

There are three that stay together all the time. I found one dead last night. :(

I see the other one on the other side of the tank. They're very elusive though and pretty much stay behind the rock. We usually only see them during feeding time.

My experiment of corals in the predator tank. A really inexpensive brain:

And shrooms:

Beautiful looking grouper!

As for your experiment of corals in the predator tank. For the last year I have had an 8" miniatus grouper, 7" lunar wrasse, 12" snowflake eel in my aggresive tank. The tank is full of mushrooms, zoanthids, rock flower anemone. I have not had any problems yet.

That's great to know! We'd love to get some colorful corals in this tank. They'd have to be lower light corals though. So I'm thinking of 'shrooms. LOTS of them. :)