Anyone have a link to an air line silencer?

I need a link to a good DIY for an air line silencer. Try to keep the peace in the house. All help appreciated!

:biggrin:

are you trying to quite down a skimmer?

I don't have a link to a DIY but I read about people making airline silencers using a few inches of PVC pipe and stuffing it with filter floss to act as a muffler.

Take a 3" piece of pvc with 2 caps. Drill one cap with 2ea 3/16" holes. Insert a 1" piece of 3/16" rigid airline tube into one of the holes. Insert a 3" piece of rigid airline tube into the other hole but leave a 1/2" or so hanging out the end of the hole. Put your tubing that you are trying to silence on that second "barb" coming out of your "silencer".

I've noticed in the past that if I just make the air line longer it gets quieter (like 1-2 foot).

tim

Same here, on my skimmer I added two feet of line and the noise is gone. I have check repeatedly and there is no difference in bubble production in the skimmer, with or without it.

It works great.

I think I'm going to do this but drill a bigger hose and run slightly larger diameter tubing than air line. I added airline tubing and the water level in the over flow went down like .5" which causes a barely perceptable increase in sound caused by falling water.