Aquacontroller or iPod touch

EBR

Work has been good lately, and I recently fell into a nice little bonus. So what to do with it?

1) Get an AC and start building that functionality out for the tank -- PH, temp, web access, yadda yadda. It's a 125g, and I certainly want to get one eventually, but right now the tank is stable, not over stocked, and pretty darn easy to maintain -- not really pushing the limits at all. But after reading a recent thread where someone's tank melted down with a rouge heater, I would like more protection.

or,

2) The iPod touch. My wife has the iPhone (I don't really want the phone part), but all the rest is just too cool. I'm sure some of you have one or the other, so I ask for a truly unbiased opinion:

Given a pile of free cash, which would make you squander it?

Thanks.

Matt

i woulddnt get the ipod either way. they dont make them very well. look at a creative zen vision. its brighter and plays more file associations than ipod. get the controller

AC III, hands down. Protect your investment. You really don't realize how nice an aquacontroller is until you have one.

I agree. I only have a dinky butt size 30 gal tank with a 20 gal sump, but I also invest in an ACIII. The first time your tank crashed because of power failure, pH level drop, heater malfunction or any combination of them, you will wish that you have the ACIII to warn you. The ACIII is an investment for me and it's worth every dime. Just my opinion.

Get the ACIII. You can even set it up to contact you when things go bad. One of those rogue heaters becomes a bump in the road instead of a major disaster. I would not have a tank without one. Just my .02 cents.

Just to be different, I'm going to recommend the iPod touch. You can use it to store pictures of your tank when it crashes due to a faulty heater, loss of power, etc. :biggrin:

Just to be different, I'm going to recommend the iPod touch. You can use it to store pictures of your tank when it crashes due to a faulty heater, loss of power, etc. :biggrin:

I found myself listening to Hank Williams Sr songs on my iPod after my tank crashed. However, if I had the AC I would have probably still been listening to my daily regimen of The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, instead of crying. :cry: At least my wife didn't leave me, and neither of the dogs ran away from home. :rollface:

I wonder what the responses would be like if you posted the question in www.itouchforum.com ...

he he he he :biggrin:

Now seriously, get both!!!

Right now there is an iTouch with 32GB so you might be able to get a good deal on a used 16GB or 8GB one, save you some money and then get the ACIII.

hehehehe

AC, it may end up saving your reef. The I-Touch is cool but I'd wait until they double the memory again to over 60GB, then the 32GB model will be half price. You're also more likely to be given an Itouch as a gift than an AC Controller.

Wreck

I have been extremely happy with my macbook. That being said, I had to get it fixed at the Apple store in Bethesda a couple of weeks ago. From waiting at the "genius bar" and noticing that literally 75-80% of the products they were teching were Iphones or the Ipod touch, I'll stay away for now. Plus, look at how much cheaper the Ipods became after they were on the market for a period of time. The Ipod will go down in price, the AC is unlikely to.

I swear, you crack me up :-)

I have been extremely happy with my macbook. That being said, I had to get it fixed at the Apple store in Bethesda a couple of weeks ago. From waiting at the "genius bar" and noticing that literally 75-80% of the products they were teching were Iphones or the Ipod touch, I'll stay away for now. Plus, look at how much cheaper the Ipods became after they were on the market for a period of time. The Ipod will go down in price, the AC is unlikely to.

Hadn't considered that -- thanks

i woulddnt get the ipod either way. they dont make them very well. look at a creative zen vision. its brighter and plays more file associations than ipod. get the controller

Never even heard of the Zen Vision -- looks interesting -- I'll have to check it out.

I must admit that I'm little surpised -- I thought there would be at least ONE sincere vote for the ipod. Tough crowd, I guess.

Matt

I'm planning on getting an iPhone 'cause i need a new phone. I wish they'd come out with the second-gen G3 (and GPS?) phone already, but I'm going to have to get one soon. Oh well.

As for the iPod Touch, I'm not as big a fan of that 'cause I'm not a huge portable-music listener and relying on free wireless hotspots doesn't give you much in the way of network access.

But I think after June, when the iPhone/iPod Touch software update comes out, and a slew of third-party apps start coming out shortly thereafter, the iPhone/iPod becomes a very attractive option. If you can buy the ACIII now and the iPod later, that might be the best of both worlds (though I guess that's a Duh!!). Or maybe by then they'll have announced the second gen iPhones and you'll want a new phone.

I swear, you crack me up :-)

Hadn't considered that -- thanks

Never even heard of the Zen Vision -- looks interesting -- I'll have to check it out.

I must admit that I'm little surpised -- I thought there would be at least ONE sincere vote for the ipod. Tough crowd, I guess.

Matt

But I think after June, when the iPhone/iPod Touch software update comes out, and a slew of third-party apps start coming out shortly thereafter, the iPhone/iPod becomes a very attractive option. If you can buy the ACIII now and the iPod later, that might be the best of both worlds (though I guess that's a Duh!!). Or maybe by then they'll have announced the second gen iPhones and you'll want a new phone.

Ah-ha! I normally don't follow what the next thing is that Apple throws at us, so thanks for the insight. I don't really want the iPhone because they don't have a pay-as-you-go plan like I have now (my cell phone was free and just stays in the car). I did hear about 3rd party apps being locked out a while back, since Apple would release an API for them to use (that's what was explained to me, anyway), so I'm glad to see that door opening up.

You guys are convincing me, I think. Need to figure out what I would want to do with the AC first, and then scope out the pieces and cost.

Hmmmmm.