which heater to use?

bk_market

Lately there are too many heater problems aroudn the club. I dont have a heater yet but looking to purchase one sometime in the future. What do you guys recommend?

I saw Visi Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heater at premium aquatics. Seem like they stated that it can not be shatter? this mean it unbreakable? anyone have experience with this? Thanx

straight titanium heating element, ranco controller, emergency cut off of the controller with my AquaController.

Thats how I did it. The Ranco could hold my temp easily within 0.5 degrees, I didn't have to worry about the crummy thermostats that they put on heaters, and I had a fail safe in case my Ranco went south.

BB

Based on recent events - I would say a nice, external gas-fired water heater would be a good choice...

I'm becoming disenchanted with aquarium heaters!!

bob

Have one, no it can't shatter.....................but relying on a heaters thermostat is asking for trouble.

Ebo-jager makes a good unit, it's glass but I've had them a LONG time w/o a problem (I've had a few, never had one fail). They're made by Eheim - what else would you expect.

Edited by ErikS

Have one, no it can't shatter.....................but relying on a heaters thermostat is asking for trouble.

Ebo-jager makes a good unit, it's glass but I've had them a LONG time w/o a problem (I've had a few, never had one fail). They're made by Eheim - what else would you expect.

Where ya been Erik? We don't hear too much from you anymore.

straight titanium heating element, ranco controller, emergency cut off of the controller with my AquaController.

Thats how I did it. The Ranco could hold my temp easily within 0.5 degrees, I didn't have to worry about the crummy thermostats that they put on heaters, and I had a fail safe in case my Ranco went south.

BB

I agree. The titanium does not react with the salt water like other materials. If it blows, then I would think that you would have the least amount of contaminates possible added to your system. Make sure you have GFIC outlet also.

:)

Edited by Highland Reefer

The Ebo-jager aren't submersible are they? I use two of the stealth heaters and I like them very much. Controlled with my ACIII of course.

That's what they say, most likely for liability purposes - just a guess. They can be submerged, Eheim just won't accept any liability if used in such a manner....................not unlike southdown or GE silicone.

Where ya been Erik? We don't hear too much from you anymore.

Ah, you know sometimes stuff happens...............and careful what ya wish for :biggrin:

I agree. The titanium does not react with the salt water like other materials. If it blows, then I would think that you would have the least amount of contaminates possible added to your system. Make sure you have GFIC outlet also.

:)

It ain't what's on the outside that causes problems, glass is as inert as it gets (um.....the tank?)............it's what's on the inside that causes problems - one bad thing is the wire, copper. Heaters are all the same on the inside, Ti (or the plastic coated stealth) doesn't break = the bad things don't come in contact with the water. They can all fail = a chilled tank or a boiled tank.

BB

This sounds like the best way to go...

Going back to the original question, i don't think the stealth heaters are breakable (within normal use). They're encased in a plastic shell.