Hydrometer vs Refractometer

amay121

Well,

After purchasing a shrimp and have him die and getting a second shrimp and having him die instantly, I decide to purchase a calcium and KH test kit along with a refractometer.

Here's the quality:

Deep Six Hydrometer - 1.025

Marine Depot Portable Refractometer - 1.029

PH - 8.4

Calcium - 460

Alk - 6dKH

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 0

Temp - 80*

Would you trust the Hydrometer or the Refractometer? I'm deciding to trust the Refractometer and I'm starting to lower my SG by replacing 2 cups of tank water for distilled water each day. I had the refractometer reading at 1.031 originally, but wanted to bring it down to 1.025, but once again, which one would you trust?

Reading online, they said that the hydrometer is usually tested at 60*F and you have to compensate. I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the refractometer for now. Just wanted to hear some other inputs though.

Oh, the 90G should be here on Tuesday (woo hoo). I'm getting excited on the things that I could do with this. My wife is thinking about a color scheme, while I'm just thinking on what I want, but I really want a flame angel (always loved the colors).

Also, will probably wait for a frag sale at Mr. Coral or someone else here, I'd really like to get started with some rics and acans. Those look sweet.

I calibrated off of distilled water ONLY. Did not buy the calibration fluid. With distilled water, the refractometer was off by .001.

I'm with Dave on this one.

That being said, I would use the refractometer once it's calibrated with salinity calibration fluid a la this.

I've had my refractometer read both north and south of true. Once is read 1.026 and it was at 1.031. More recently it read 1.026 when it was actually at 1.022.

Garrett.

(edited)

Agree on a calibrated refractometer.

I had 3 hydrometers from 3 different vendors/manufacturers. All read different and way off. Calibrated refractometer is a better indication of salinity.

Edited by vaironman

I calibrated off of distilled water ONLY. Did not buy the calibration fluid. With distilled water, the refractometer was off by .001.

The cheap refractometers we use aren't very linear, so pure water is a lousy standard. It's best to either buy a standard or make one like this.

Most of the time, I use my cheap hydrometer, but have calibrated it with my refractometer.

Neither, unless they're calibrated.

Good call. Never assume. :biggrin: I have a cheap SeaTest lever arm from Aqaurium Systems which is surprisingly accurate when compare to a properly calibrated, temp.compensating refratometer.

My next piece of equipment is expected to be a refractometer.

Hydrometers can be affected by bubbles, residue build up and other issues. Refractometers are generally much more accurate or at least less likely to be inaccurate provided they are calibrated and used properly. Most manufacturers recommend calibration using RO water but that is not the best way to calibrate refractometers used to measure seawater. Here's a very interesting article that explains how refractometers work and why calibration using RO may result in you salinity being higher or lower than the reading on the refractometer: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Got my refractometer in a group buy almost a year and a half ago, only paid like $25 for it. Awesome investment, no more swing arm ever!

I need one of these also. So who's going to pick up the reins and run a group buy for these???? Please!!!!!!

Karen

Karen, Ebay has them for $25 :P

Karen, Ebay has them for $25 :P

It would be nice to avoid shipping!

Count me in on a group buy as well if it happens.

so who is going to look for a good deal and run it? VOlunteer anyone? If we can find something in the price range Jason mentioned, I would be In.

All,

I'll be willing to help out set one up. I'll add a new request onto the groupbuy page and will ask around some of the stores to see what I we can get. I need to purchase a few other things anyways, so it won't be a big deal.

awesome... if we get a deal good enough to fit my nearly non-existent budget!

All,

Group Buy for the refractometer is in the Group Buy section. Please check out what I've found out so far and let me know if you want one or not.

Anyone interested should NO LONGER reply on this thread. Just go to the Group Buy Thread.