VHO, PC, fluorescent and ballasts

sheac12

More questions for the experts and experienced out there.

My goal is to support(for now) just coraline algae growth. My water parameters are really good thanks to the refurgium, the large skimmer, and proper maintenance.

My current setup has just a 48" fluorescent bulb in a standard hood. After setting up the 6.7k light on my refurgium I realized that my 48" is old and not providing the type or kind of light I want. So I started looking into replacing my current hood with something else. I starting thinking that maybe I could just add a second fluorescent bulb to the current hood, making 80W total lighting(working off the general ideal of 1W per gal).

However, I don't know if that is really even a good option. So I starting looking into converting my setup into a VHO, however, it seems it isn't just a simple switching of the end caps. Which I thought I might be able to get away with. I starting do more research and realized that not only would I need new endcaps but I would also need a ballast to go with it. So I starting looking into PC lights like the following over at marine depot: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idP...ct~CU01006.html . Well now I am just confused.

Working with the knowledge that I am doing a FOWLR and want to promot coraline algae growth, what is my cheapest and best working option? If it is to save up for the next two months and get the PC unit, then fine. If there is another option great.

Thanks for the help!

Cheapest would be to replace the current bulb with a 10+k or 50/50 bulb.

Adding a second bulb would also require adding a second ballast or replacing the ballast you have with one that runs two bulbs.

However, once you start growing coraline, you won't want to stop there.

Cheapest would be to replace the current bulb with a 10+k or 50/50 bulb.

Adding a second bulb would also require adding a second ballast or replacing the ballast you have with one that runs two bulbs.

However, once you start growing coraline, you won't want to stop there.

Well I realize that, but I have to keep up "appearances" with my wife....she controls my funding.

Lightbulbsdirect.com has a replacement bulb that would work for you. It's a 40W, 48", 10K bulb and it runs about $12. Of course, that's not including shipping. The link to their aquarium bulbs is http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/Aquarium. Go down until you see F40T12/AR/SA (I'm assuming that your "standard" light is a T-12. Even though the table says that it's a 1000K light, that's a typo. Other vendors sell the same bulb. It's a 10000K.

Lightbulbsdirect.com has a replacement bulb that would work for you. It's a 40W, 48", 10K bulb and it runs about $12. Of course, that's not including shipping. The link to their aquarium bulbs is http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/Aquarium. Go down until you see F40T12/AR/SA (I'm assuming that your "standard" light is a T-12. Even though the table says that it's a 1000K light, that's a typo. Other vendors sell the same bulb. It's a 10000K.

Well I could start with that. I am now thinking though that I will get a PC system to replace the lights I have now. My next question is how much light is right for me? Is 65W good or do I need to do a 95W system? Should I stick with the 50/50 lights that come with them or should I get different ones? Thanks for the advice!

PCs aren't my thing. I think they are great on small systems, ie 10 gallons, but on a large tank there are better options IMO.

How about overdriving what you already have? Handy at all?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...ing&spell=1

Cheaply I would say you could get a couple of workhorse ballasts , some endcaps (I may even have some extras laying around) and a couple of normal output lamps. Viola.

Even better I would say do the ballast (workhorse 5 should do) and go with 2 t5 lights. Endcaps and standoffs will run you about $30, the ballast is about $25 and the lamps are about $20 per. So for right around $100 you could do a nice little t5 system that would do exactly what you want now, look great, and also allow you to add some corals... when you get to that point... and you will get to that point.

Garrett.

Edited by gastone

(edited)

PCs aren't my thing. I think they are great on small systems, ie 10 gallons, but on a large tank there are better options IMO.

How about overdriving what you already have? Handy at all?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...ing&spell=1

Cheaply I would say you could get a couple of workhorse ballasts , some endcaps (I may even have some extras laying around) and a couple of normal output lamps. Viola.

Even better I would say do the ballast (workhorse 5 should do) and go with 2 t5 lights. Endcaps and standoffs will run you about $30, the ballast is about $25 and the lamps are about $20 per. So for right around $100 you could do a nice little t5 system that would do exactly what you want now, look great, and also allow you to add some corals... when you get to that point... and you will get to that point.

Garrett.

I went to the fulham site and was looking for a distributor in MD, but after going to their site it says they dont sell to the public. Does anyone know where to purchase fulham's ballasts?

I did see that if I went with the workhorse 7 I would be able to use T12 vho's.

For that matter why would I do a T5 setup instead of T12?

On a tangent: I was over at Aqua traders and they have a 2x65W CF setup for 50 including bulbs. Anyone have experience with these?

Edited by sheac12

I went to the fulham site and was looking for a distributor in MD, but after going to their site it says they dont sell to the public. Does anyone know where to purchase fulham's ballasts?

I did see that if I went with the workhorse 7 I would be able to use T12 vho's.

For that matter why would I do a T5 setup instead of T12?

On a tangent: I was over at Aqua traders and they have a 2x65W CF setup for 50 including bulbs. Anyone have experience with these?

Ok, I think I am starting to get this. The T5's run cooler and have the same or greater lumen ratings as a VHO(T12), plus they are "more" energy efficient. From what I have seen I could do a workhorse 7 with 4 (HO) T5s or I could use a Sunpark HO/VHO ballast and drive 2 VHO T12s. With the T5's I would have more options in the future for corals, with the ability to drive up to 4 bulbs, I can customize the mix(right???)

Ok, I think I am starting to get this. The T5's run cooler and have the same or greater lumen ratings as a VHO(T12), plus they are "more" energy efficient. From what I have seen I could do a workhorse 7 with 4 (HO) T5s or I could use a Sunpark HO/VHO ballast and drive 2 VHO T12s. With the T5's I would have more options in the future for corals, with the ability to drive up to 4 bulbs, I can customize the mix(right???)

You're picking this up much faster than I ever did.

Absolutely correct.

Garrett.

You're picking this up much faster than I ever did.

Absolutely correct.

Garrett.

Thanks!

Alright, so now comes the question about how much wattage. I have seen numbers that range from 1.6W/GAL(http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aboutcorallinealgae/ss/coralline_2.htm) to 3.0W/GAL(http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fowlrltgfaqs.htm - which I still dont like reading do to the lacking search function) for coraline algae growth. So assuming I go with a ballast that drives 4 HO 54W T5s(2 10K, 2 Actinic) that gives me a total wattage of 4*54 = 216W/90GAL = 2.4W/GAL which falls in the middle.

However am I getting a head of myself here? Would I be better off starting with the ballast and 2 10k bulbs and as needed expand out to the 2 more T5s? I ask because my main goal right now, is to have a Fish with LR not a LR with Fish tank....(famous last words)

Watts per gallon isn't something commonly used these days. What with different reflector efficiency, bulb design, and spectral output, it just isn't very applicable IMO. I used to use 380w VHO over my 30g tank. About 13wpg. I have since switched out two of those lamps for 2-39w T5 overdriven to say 50(ish) watts and on icecap reflectors. Giving me a total of 290w or under 10wpg. My tank is much, much brighter now. I'll be pulling out the VHOs very soon and replacing them with 2 more overdriven t5 lamps for a total of around 200w and I expect the tank to be even brighter still.

If your goal is to just grow coralline algae, you'll be fine with 2 t-5 lamps IMO. For a nice look I would go with an ATI aquablue and and ATI blueplus lamps. Would be nice and crisp with just a taste of blue. The fish would even look better under this lighting that your current normal output flourescent. You would even be able to keep some corals (when, I repeat when (not if) you get the itch). Later you could always add in more T5 bulbs or halide, or whatever. But if you just want to grow coralline (for now) 2-T5s would more than suffice.

G.

Watts per gallon isn't something commonly used these days. What with different reflector efficiency, bulb design, and spectral output, it just isn't very applicable IMO. I used to use 380w VHO over my 30g tank. About 13wpg. I have since switched out two of those lamps for 2-39w T5 overdriven to say 50(ish) watts and on icecap reflectors. Giving me a total of 290w or under 10wpg. My tank is much, much brighter now. I'll be pulling out the VHOs very soon and replacing them with 2 more overdriven t5 lamps for a total of around 200w and I expect the tank to be even brighter still.

If your goal is to just grow coralline algae, you'll be fine with 2 t-5 lamps IMO. For a nice look I would go with an ATI aquablue and and ATI blueplus lamps. Would be nice and crisp with just a taste of blue. The fish would even look better under this lighting that your current normal output flourescent. You would even be able to keep some corals (when, I repeat when (not if) you get the itch). Later you could always add in more T5 bulbs or halide, or whatever. But if you just want to grow coralline (for now) 2-T5s would more than suffice.

G.

Alright thanks for the info and discussing this with me. I am going to do 2 T5's to start but get a ballast that can drive 4. Depending on how they work, I must just over drive it. What would you recommend for the reflector, an icecap?

Icecap reflectors are top of the line IMO. I buy me T5 stuff from reefgeek.com. If you are close to BRK I know that Johnny carries T5 retrofit stuff as well and you don't have to pay for shipping.

G.

Icecap reflectors are top of the line IMO. I buy me T5 stuff from reefgeek.com. If you are close to BRK I know that Johnny carries T5 retrofit stuff as well and you don't have to pay for shipping.

G.

No too far from me, I live in Columbia MD. I will check one closer to see if they have the reflectors. Thanks for the help.

go for T-5s if you're going to buy brand new lighting. Bulbs only have to be replaced once 1 year to year and half.

When I was using only a regular flo aquarium strip light coraline grew just as fast as it does now under the T-5s, so really I think if you just go with a new bulb in what you have you will be fine.

I think corraline algae is a nuisance.......i am forever scraping away from the front panel of my tank......

mine really took off after i got my refractometer and got my SG correct.....1.031 was way higher than the 1.025 i needed...thanks to them swing arm POS"S :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I think corraline algae is a nuisance.......i am forever scraping away from the front panel of my tank......

mine really took off after i got my refractometer and got my SG correct.....1.031 was way higher than the 1.025 i needed...thanks to them swing arm POS"S :biggrin:

I haven't bitten the bullet and purchased a refractometer. However, I did end up purchasing a set of T5's from bk_market. I have already seen a difference in the the algae growth and in my enjoyment of the tank. If anyone is even thinking about upgrading their lighting DO IT.

Now if only I could get rid of the chocolate chip star fish my wife loves....

I haven't bitten the bullet and purchased a refractometer. However, I did end up purchasing a set of T5's from bk_market. I have already seen a difference in the the algae growth and in my enjoyment of the tank. If anyone is even thinking about upgrading their lighting DO IT.

Now if only I could get rid of the chocolate chip star fish my wife loves....

Borrow someone's harlequin shrimp for a day.