accurate thermometer?

zotzer

Okay, is there some sort of thermometer that will give me an accurate tank temp reading??? I really don't want to go buy a bazillion dollar controller just so I know what my tank temp is. You'd think this wouldn't be too tall of an order.

Right now my digital "probe" thermometer says the tank is 72.7 degrees. The stick-on says it's 82 degrees. COME ON!!! The Ebo Jager is set to 80, and when I put my hand in the tank, the water feels slightly warm. I tend to think it is probably in the 78 degree range, but would like to know with a higher degree of certainty.

Any clue on a brand/mfr that will give me an accurate temp reading for under $50??

Thanks for your help.

Tracy

i like the old glass ones to verify temps

those stick-on things are only good for reading ranges. I use a glass one at work and digital ones with drop-in probes at home (have 2... the readings always match on them).

I have a handful (digital, and glass)... Use a bunch and take readings and look at the average/median.

That being said you can look for a NIST calibrated one, but that's going to be expensive.

Dave

when it comes to a matter of a degree or two, isn't consistency more important than exactness? I wouldn't care if one said 77 and one said 79 as long as they respecitively always said 77 and 79

when it comes to a matter of a degree or two, isn't consistency more important than exactness? I wouldn't care if one said 77 and one said 79 as long as they respecitively always said 77 and 79

Agreed... but 82-72 is pretty drastic range I would want a 3rd opinion to find out which one is more accurate.

Dave

Agreed... but 82-72 is pretty drastic range I would want a 3rd opinion to find out which one is more accurate.

Dave

Exactly! LOL

Will go on the hunt for an old-fashioned glass one tomorrow. :)

Tracy

Dave

well yeah, that is drastic. In general thought though....

no hunting needed petsmart and petco carry them

I was discussing thermometers with Dan one day and he mentioned that a glass of ice water will always be 32 degrees. You can use this to test the accuracy of your thermometers. For the stick-on kind, I guess you'll need several bags of ice to cool the tank down to 32 degrees though. :lol2:

(edited)

For the stick-on kind, I guess you'll need several bags of ice to cool the tank down to 32 degrees though. :lol2:

But my stick on one is moveable. :) GREAT IDEA!!!

Tracy

no hunting needed petsmart and petco carry them

Thanks!

Update on the ice-water test....

It only made the stick-on wig out. It doesn't go that low and didn't know what to do.

I need to call the Smithsonian. Evidently, in my house, ice water is 23.3 degrees according to the digital thermometer!!!! ROFL

Edited by zotzer

I was discussing thermometers with Dan one day and he mentioned that a glass of ice water will always be 32 degrees. You can use this to test the accuracy of your thermometers. For the stick-on kind, I guess you'll need several bags of ice to cool the tank down to 32 degrees though. :lol2:

The problem with this is two fold:

1) Many of our thermometers don't measure down to 32 degrees.

2) Those that do... it's like calibrating your ph at like 6... not something we would typically do.

Dave

Here is one.

The ice bath and the temperature have variables; purity of water, air pressure, vessel containing the ice bath, etc. It will get you close though for your purpose.

Take you body temperature (providing you are feeling well). Then with your digital probe (cleaned well) use it to check your temperature. This way you will get checkpoints at about a 66 degree F seperation.

The National Weather Service (my former employer) has very accurate thermometers. Maybe contact them and use there readings and compare against your temperature devices. This way you could check the temperature of room temp water or air temperature, both of which your devices have a range that are capable of reading.

Edited by rioreef

I have three of the little Coralife digital thermometers in use. Oh... make that 4. Anyhow - I've swapped them around for accuracy tests, and they are all within about 0.2 degrees of one another. I think you were just unlucky, Tracy - you got the bad one. Get a couple more. OR - I have a COOL glass thermomenter that floats in the tank - and measure both salinity AND temperature!

bob

Well, the cheapo glass thermometer shows that my tank is spot-on 80 degrees. *That* I can live with. I worried about putting glass in there, so I stuck it inside of my CPR pre-skimmer. The sides are clear acrylic, and in spite of coralline build-up, I can read it and it will be safe in there should the suction cup fail.

Thanks all! Some times hi-tech is NOT better. LOL

Tracy