Where to find Nori in Virginia

elm66

Hi there,

I am looking to buy some Nori (dry seaweed) in Viriginia if possible and can not seem to find the standard version. I only find roasted version ... which is not good.

Would appreciate any help on that matter.

Thank you

Eric

Assuming this is for tangs...

First...avoid nori..it decomposes overnight and begins to REEK!

SO, how do you keep your tangs healthy. Romaine lettuce and spinach (if the tangs eat it). Other lettuce also works. Keeps fresh. Our three tangs go through 2-4 leaves A DAY! That's more than I get. Try it. :)

(I had read about it...then saw it at flowersellers house...tried it and could not believe it)!

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but I've heard people say they just get it at the grocery store, but I don't know which one. I do know that there's an international grocery story on Little River Turnpike near 395 that has all sorts of good stuff--fresh fruit, fresh seafood (even had live conch last time i went in there), and all sorts of international foods. I'd bet they have dried seaweed.

One question I have, though, is whether packaged dried seaweed for human consumption can be used for fish. Are there any preservatives or salts added that would be harmful? Or is it really just dried, and that's it?

I have this bag of seaweed, but all the packaging is in Korean. Suffice it to say, I don't know what the heck any of it says.

And as for NRehman's suggestions, I haven't had much luck with the spinach I've put in (do you put it in fresh/raw?). I've had good luck with boiled broccoli spears (they love the nubs on the end). And I put handfuls of chaeto now and then and they seem to eat it.

Assuming this is for tangs...

First...avoid nori..it decomposes overnight and begins to REEK!

SO, how do you keep your tangs healthy. Romaine lettuce and spinach (if the tangs eat it). Other lettuce also works. Keeps fresh. Our three tangs go through 2-4 leaves A DAY! That's more than I get. Try it. :)

(I had read about it...then saw it at flowersellers house...tried it and could not believe it)!

The seaweed for sushi is typically what I've used and appears to be the same that I've seen others use. I believe this is roasted and the ingredients label doesn't indicate any perservatives, salt, etc. Why would this be bad?

Any of the international grocery stores in the area will have an aisle with all different types of nori. You don't want the seasoned kind. The ingredients are listed on the package. Stick to the ones that only have a single ingredient: seaweed.

I have never had a problem with it decaying on me - it is always gone long before that happens. I usually take a big piece and fold it in 4ths, then stick it in a clip I have zip-tied onto my CL manifold. Once it softens it will start to break apart and pieces will float around the tank. The three tangs will go for it on the clip, floating in the tank, stuck to the intake of a powerhead . . . wherever, they don't seem to care. Snails take care of what few scraps the tangs miss. If it was lasting more than a couple of hours without getting eaten I would probably feed less at one time.

The only stinky part for me is the part that remains in the clip. I just wipe this out with a paper towel the next day. One way to avoid having any left over stinky parts is to use an elastic to attach it to a small rock and then sink it to the bottom of the tank. That way the critters can clean up every last scrap for you.

I know a lot of people use romaine and spinach but to me it seems kind of like feeding bits of chicken to carnivorous fish. It may be almost the same nutritionally but I just feel like stuff that comes from the ocean is probably better off eating other stuff that comes from the ocean. Of course, there are a lot of very old, healthy fish out there that don't seem to be complaining about their terrestrial diet, so what do I know? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I used Nori for my Tangs.

I've found it an Int'l food stores but also at a LARGE Safeway (for example, Nutley St.

Fairfax, VA 22031). As I recall, Safeway was the least expensive.

Steve

A new trend of seasoned Nori/Seaweed is currently going strong within the asian community. Be careful to read the label and lick the seaweed to see if there is no salt seasoning. Once you feel them that has oil, that's the new trend Nori. Then try to get a different type.

This is just a precaution. Not meant to scare everyone.

I could buy from Korean/Asian grocery store; however, I get a large bag from BRK for $10 since I am there to look at fishes and corals. Still better price than buying from Petsmart/Petco.

Edited by vaironman

I know a lot of people use romaine and spinach but to me it seems kind of like feeding bits of chicken to carnivorous fish. It may be almost the same nutritionally but I just feel like stuff that comes from the ocean is probably better off eating other stuff that comes from the ocean. Of course, there are a lot of very old, healthy fish out there that don't seem to be complaining about their terrestrial diet, so what do I know? :)

Understand your thoughts. Consider that the lettuce is fresh, not dried and process. It holds it's shape and allows a much more natural grazing diet. Normally iour lettuce gets stripped to the nub attached to clip. Does not smell or decompose so if you forget, it can last in there for a couple of days. Fish are healthy. Note, the saltwater permeates the lettuce very quickly. Buy organic to be on the safe side and WASH IT FIRST as nitrates are used in growing medium.

I would recommend trying it and seeing what you think the results are. You might be surprised - and clearly the fish don't seem to be harmed.

Understand your thoughts. Consider that the lettuce is fresh, not dried and process. It holds it's shape and allows a much more natural grazing diet. Normally iour lettuce gets stripped to the nub attached to clip. Does not smell or decompose so if you forget, it can last in there for a couple of days. Fish are healthy. Note, the saltwater permeates the lettuce very quickly. Buy organic to be on the safe side and WASH IT FIRST as nitrates are used in growing medium.

I would recommend trying it and seeing what you think the results are. You might be surprised - and clearly the fish don't seem to be harmed.

I read in Anthony Calfo's book (on Invertebrates and natural fish keeping... can't remember exact title) and his online forums that he strongly recommends NOT using non-marine vegitation, fwiw. His argument is as above: adds that they are the wrong kinds of nutrients for marine animals. I've used regualar Nori from Asian markets. You can't leave it in longer than 24 hours, but that being said, it works. I've had better luck folding it and putting a thick elastic band around it and a rock and tossing it in than with a clip. Seems to last longer before decomposing. BUT, you do need to get it out (if there's any left) in about 24 hours.

Edited by FishWife

I read in Anthony Calfo's book (on Invertebrates and natural fish keeping... can't remember exact title) and his online forums that he strongly recommends NOT using non-marine vegitation, fwiw. His argument is as above: adds that they are the wrong kinds of nutrients for marine animals. I've used regualar Nori from Asian markets. You can't leave it in longer than 24 hours, but that being said, it works. I've had better luck folding it and putting a thick elastic band around it and a rock and tossing it in than with a clip. Seems to last longer before decomposing. BUT, you do need to get it out (if there's any left) in about 24 hours.

Ive read that advice in a few different places.

I use nori from the Grand Mart international market in G-burg. You have to be careful selecting it because most has seasoning in it... if I remember I'll check the package I have tonight for brand and post it here. Either knowing will help someone or someone will tell me it's the wrong kind. All I know is that the tang loves it. You have to remove any that hasn't been eaten within a day or it will mess up the tank and the fish will not care to eat it.

You can also go the more expensive route and buy the stuff from the LFS, but that gets used up real fast.

Same here; I have a large Sailfin tang, a medium pink tailed trigger and a medium hippo tang. Between the three of them they eat 4-4inch squares in an evening. I have always used the plain roasted nori from any oriental supermarket or the red algae sheets from John @ BRK. No problems w/ roasted. Fish have been eating for more than one year and are fat and happy. Just quarter fold and sometimes treat W/liquid garlic or Selicon and add to 2 clips. To me roasting should have no effect. Bob

Edited by Bob

I've only just started adding nori - having only recently gotten tangs. I cut mine about 3/4 of the way through into strips, and put it in the clip. I've never had it last more than an hour or so; don't know about decomposition...

bob

• 3 weeks later...

i have used the nori from giant, i give my sailfin tang a whole sheet....its gone in like 5 minutes.... i think it also important to make sure she has a varied diet of mysis flake and nori....she is fat and happy...and the tank mates like it too...

just my 2 cents

:)

I get 100 full-sheet pack of green roasted (non-flavored) nori at the international / asian market next to Marine Scene. It's like 10.95 a pack give or take a buck, can't remember exact # at moment.

my tangs, angels, and idol love it.

I get cakes of dried seaweed from Great Wall SuperMarket on Gallows Road near the Beltway. Each cake is about 4 inches thick and about as big around as a dinner plate. Is priced about 2.99, have seen in on sale for 1.99. Smells like the ocean and the tangs love it. I put mine in and it is gone in 10 minutes at the most. Also been using it for about 18 months with no problems.

Cheers,

John

Edited by jwildman