Another Centropyge love story from two different oceans (including one unique tank bred dwarf angel!)

copps

Hey guys, I posted this on Reef Central, but I also wanted to share it with the WAMAS folks... also for people like leishman who have RC blocked at work... :biggrin:

Just over a month ago in November of last year I received another pair of Centropyge from my good friend and owner of Reef Culture Technologies (www.rcthawaii.com) Frank Baensch out in Hawaii. The previous month in October I was in Hawaii for three weeks and met with Frank for three days when I was free and not working. One day was spent diving, one at the Bishop Museum with Rich Pyle, Jack Randall and John Earle going through their extensive angelfish collection among other things, and one just having beers and hanging out at his house just outside of Waikiki. I own many of Frank

Very cool John. One of these days I will send you a picture of my male c. joculator and female c. multicolor spawning. About 5 minutes later I will send you a picture of the female c. joculator and female c. multicolor fighting. It's a nightly ritual these days :)

Thanks Dan... great news! Many people don't realize that mixed species pairing is not a hard thing to do... genetics is showing that despite drastic color differences, many Centropyge species are genetically identical and have speciated within the last few hundred thousand years...

Tracy, I have no clue... while sponge makes up a good bit of the diet on many large angels, these are often just a certain group or type of sponges... With that said, I've seen many of my angels eat sponge within the aquarium... If the system does not have any "meaty" lps and certain soft corals, a Pomacanthus genus angel could be tried...

Thanks guys... and thanks Phil for possibly jinxing that fish! :biggrin:

Copps

John, I'm sorry. I spoke out of turn.

It was a cool story, but I've mixed it all up. Seeing the title of this thread, I thought I was going to see it in print. Again I'm sorry, but I know you are a good enough keeper of the fish to get that little guy past my unintended jinx :o)

Phil

Edited by Grav

Off topic again, but I watched my blenny mowing down a sponge today. It had a chunk the size of a dime in its mouth and was trying very hard to swallow it. Managed to break it apart and eat part of it, not sure if it got the rest down as it drifted behind the rock and the fish went to follow.

John, cool pictures. It's always fun to see what you're up to when you're in tropical paradises!