New Wally's

martin

Well, I stopped by this evening to pick up some freshwater supplies and have to say that the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

well I ran out to Wallys yesterday after work and let me tell you... nothing has changed... the coral tanks still have over priced with no color corals, some were bleached and they still were at full price

I stopped by there today. Overall, disappointing.

2 coral tanks set up:

One of them all SPS, which is not my thing, but didn't look too good to me, except one green milli which looked great even to me. At $99, seemed reasonable.

The other, pretty generic corals, and much every coral was covered in hair algae and overpriced. They had tiny frag disks with like 5 dying plain colored slimed zoos for $22.

They don't have any more corals than they did 2-3 years ago, when they had the one 6' tank and the tank near the counter.

Fish selection was pretty bad. Worse than the last couple times I've been there. There were also some corpses and some soon-to-be corpses. With so few tanks, they should be on top of that. One large corpse looked like it had been rotting for a long time.

Roozen's has more fish and corals in about 5 of his 100 tanks than Wally's does in his whole store.

Every time I go here it looks like they are gearing up to make a lot of changes, and today was no exception. I don't know why it's taking so long. Anything they are trying to do it seems like they could do in a week...it's been way over 6 months now.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

• 3 months later...

I stopped by there today. Overall, disappointing.

2 coral tanks set up:

One of them all SPS, which is not my thing, but didn't look too good to me, except one green milli which looked great even to me. At $99, seemed reasonable.

The other, pretty generic corals, and much every coral was covered in hair algae and overpriced. They had tiny frag disks with like 5 dying plain colored slimed zoos for $22.

They don't have any more corals than they did 2-3 years ago, when they had the one 6' tank and the tank near the counter.

Fish selection was pretty bad. Worse than the last couple times I've been there. There were also some corpses and some soon-to-be corpses. With so few tanks, they should be on top of that. One large corpse looked like it had been rotting for a long time.

Roozen's has more fish and corals in about 5 of his 100 tanks than Wally's does in his whole store.

Every time I go here it looks like they are gearing up to make a lot of changes, and today was no exception. I don't know why it's taking so long. Anything they are trying to do it seems like they could do in a week...it's been way over 6 months now.

tim

I stopped back Wally's the previous weekend and right now they've got nothing saltwater. They had a tank crash and it took out all of their selection. The girl told me they would be restocked within a few days but I haven't taken the time to go back.

As for a comparison to Roozen's? I don't even think it's warranted. This isn't the first time I've heard Roozen's spoken of so highly, I must have gone to the wrong store. Unless I'm looking for a rock of algae or fish kept in teacup sized containers, I will never give my business to Roozen's.

Wally's has always had a really friendly staff, they've completely redone the store from the last time I was there and they keep their tanks clean (Something Roozen's can't seem to do). Wally's use to have a decent selection of coral and I never found their prices to be too bad.

I'll probably go by there this weekend and give an update.

I stopped back Wally's the previous weekend and right now they've got nothing saltwater. They had a tank crash and it took out all of their selection. The girl told me they would be restocked within a few days but I haven't taken the time to go back.

As for a comparison to Roozen's? I don't even think it's warranted. This isn't the first time I've heard Roozen's spoken of so highly, I must have gone to the wrong store. Unless I'm looking for a rock of algae or fish kept in teacup sized containers, I will never give my business to Roozen's.

Wally's has always had a really friendly staff, they've completely redone the store from the last time I was there and they keep their tanks clean (Something Roozen's can't seem to do). Wally's use to have a decent selection of coral and I never found their prices to be too bad.

I'll probably go by there this weekend and give an update.

Roozen's has high turnover and lots of interesting fish. I don't think a lot of the bad looking fish is necessarily their fault. Wally's is still horribly overpriced. The prices on their fish are usually $15 - $20 higher than the same thing from Scales, Aqauarium One or BRK.

Roozen's has high turnover and lots of interesting fish. I don't think a lot of the bad looking fish is necessarily their fault. Wally's is still horribly overpriced. The prices on their fish are usually $15 - $20 higher than the same thing from Scales, Aqauarium One or BRK.

I can't compare to those places, I've never been to any of them, I'm not actually even familiar with them. I know that the things I've picked up from Wally's for my previous tanks has always been top notch.

$15 bucks isn't much when you know the fish is in a decent environment and the store is backing the quality.

Wally's is over priced (as most places) when it comes to dry goods.

Livestock is kind of hit or miss. I saw mid sized yello tangs for around 35 dollars earlier this week.

Overall IMO the store is currently fair. I rank Petland well above them right now. It seems like Wally's has been spinning there wheels for the last few months trying to get there system in order.

I think Wallys is a huge disappointment.. I used to go there before i discovered all of these other stores, and when i went back a few months ago, i saw they were re doing everything i was excited hoping it was really gonna change... WRONG, i think it got worse... All the corals covered in hair algae and they still ask high prices.. Do you wanna buy a new car with dents and scratches, NO! So why would i buy tainted corals... They have some nice kids that work there, but all the employees over 21 SUCK..!! They think they know a lot and they dont... I would give wallys a 2 out of 10...

• 1 year later...

I was in there today.

They are going out of business.

They said their last day will be Fri, Jan 29th (2 days from now).

Even at store-closing prices, there didn't really seem to be great bargains to be had. Everything is 30% off right now.

A sad day for me. Long ago, Wally's used to be great. Unfortunately it has slipped into quite a state of decline, apparently to the point where they cannot keep their doors open. Having 3 other LFS on the same road not far away probably didn't help.

Rest in Peace!

I have been hearing that "this Friday is the last day" for several weeks now. It is funny that stuff is only 30% off when it was 40% last week for dry goods and 50% for livestock.

What is truely sad is all the gift certificates they sold in December for Christmas when they knew they planned to close in January.

I have been hearing that "this Friday is the last day" for several weeks now. It is funny that stuff is only 30% off when it was 40% last week for dry goods and 50% for livestock.

What is truely sad is all the gift certificates they sold in December for Christmas when they knew they planned to close in January.

Hm...not good at all.

They do appear to have quite a bit of stuff left on their shelves. I would buy some of it if it got to 70%ish markdown.

They have a whole stack of new drilled 10G tanks with bulkhead for $38, which seems severely steep.

They only have a couple saltwater fish. One is a nice looking lionfish, pretty big (10"?). No price.

They have a bunch of PC bulbs, some fresh water fish, and a bunch of used equipment that hasn't been marked down nearly enough (used ASM G6 for $600? I can buy one new for about that?).

I just called and the supplier keeps extending them and he has agreed to take back everything that doesn't sell. That is why it seems like there are newer products plus the stack of 10g drilled tanks there.

I just called and the supplier keeps extending them and he has agreed to take back everything that doesn't sell. That is why it seems like there are newer products plus the stack of 10g drilled tanks there.

Hm, that's probably also the reason they aren't marking the stuff down too far.

I had planned to drop by again hoping for lower prices, but I guess I won't bother.

Yea, I live not far from Wally's and dropped in yesterday, only to find they're going out of business. It doesn't surprise me, given that everything there was pretty darn expensive (I guess understandably expensive, given the rents they must've been paying--current asking price is $23/sqft at 5400 sq ft, and that's in the middle of a bad economy). I always found it odd that they had no interest in having a Wamas presence or even in being particularly nice to customers; the only guy who worked there and had a good customer-service mentality was chefthomasr, who wasn't there long, presumably b/c he was too cheerful and eager to help...

Anyway, someone mentioned three other LFS down the road. What/where are they? I only know of SuperPets, which everyone loves to hate. I'd love to explore the others nearby. I generally just buy stuff online or make the pilgramage out to BRK.

I agree that the staff there was not the best. I called the owner once who told me a price for a fish. I stopped after work and he just left but some punk told me a different price. I called the next day and the owner said he was sorry and that I could come back and get the fish for the correct price he told me before. I stopped back in and the same kid was there by himself. He told me, "I hear you called the boss on me, well since I am the only one here I'm not going to bag the fish. Get out!" :eek:

Anyway, someone mentioned three other LFS down the road. What/where are they? I only know of SuperPets, which everyone loves to hate. I'd love to explore the others nearby. I generally just buy stuff online or make the pilgramage out to BRK.

These are the other two that are not too far and worth checking out.

Petland

9404 Main Street

Fairfax, VA 22031-4032

(703) 323-6355

Pristine Aquariums

356 South Pickett Street

Alexandria, VA 22003

(703) 823-7878

Edited by Coral Hind