pest problemm

Lizzie

reeftopia.com and saltwaterfish.com have some good deals. I have not found a local fish store that can come close to online prices when it comes to clean-up crews.

Peppermint Shrimp will eat the Aptasia Anemone. I'm sure you can get 2-3 of those at a local fish store for a reasonable price like $5 each.

Edited by discretekarma

They don't really seem to cause many problems either one of them, I think you mean glass anem as Karma pointed out. If you're not upset at the astetics of the tank you can leave them go talk to Davlin about that though.

saltwaterfish.com have some good deals

i went on saltwaterfish.com and the cleaning crew package that i have my eye on includes 2 cleaning clams. i didnt know what they were so i kind of looking into it & on another reef forum, one of the members said

"DONT DO IT!!!! bacteria city, no matter how much u wash them, and typically little necks are in colder water and dont do well in our tanks, then they die and it is BAAAAD for ur water. I would stay away from these"

i was just wondering if that was true because i want to buy this package, but not if it includes live stock that would later become a problem

Joes juice can get rid of the glass anemones (aptisia) pretty quickly (or kalk paste). Bristle worms don't really do any harm (neither does the aptisia). I think there are worm traps available. I think they're pretty cool and also turn up the sand.

Joes juice can get rid of the glass anemones (aptisia) pretty quickly (or kalk paste). Bristle worms don't really do any harm (neither does the aptisia). I think there are worm traps available. I think they're pretty cool and also turn up the sand.

Aiptasia SEEM to sting my corals... especially zoa's.

bob

Lizzie,

do you have any literature on saltwater aquariums? i'm sure there are quite a few good books out there, here is one that i enjoy and still reference from time to time:

http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine...025/ref=ed_oe_p

you might even be able to get your school library to pick it up.

good luck.

garrett.

joes juice for sure. it works great and won't harm anything else! I had an infestation of mojano anemones from some live rock I purchased from someone and continual pinpoint dosing takes care of them and will do so for aptasia.

Not to hijack this thread, but why buy Joe's Juice?

Kalk paste has always worked for me.

Are there any advantages to Joe's Juice?

Thx,

-R

Can you tell me where get the Kalk paste from and how you use it?

thanks

Sid

Kalk paste is just a thick mixture of calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide and water.

Calcium oxide/hydroxide is normally dissolved in water (about 1 tsp/gallon) and slowly dripped into tanks at night, to increase calcium & alkalinity...plus it has the good side effect of increasing pH at night.

("Kalkwasser" is German for "calcium water"....but it's commonly used to refer to the chemicals as well).

I mix it into a thickish paste, then use a plastic syringe that came with a test kit to slowly squirt a bit into the Aiptasias' tentacles...it's fun to see them grab on to it, thinking its food....then DIE.

-R