TxAggies07 - 72g Tank Thread

UPDATED IMAGES POSTED BELOW ON 3/11/08 - SCROLL DOWN TO THE END

I posted this picture about a month ago of my 72g fish tank.

72g_1.jpg

Since then I have made a few changes. I got my sump completely in place a few weeks ago. I hooked up my refugium a couple days ago. I painted the overflow black. Oh yeah...and y'all suggested I paint the back wall, but instead I moved my tank so it wasn't against a wall. I also got a new ASM G1-X skimmer.

I have some pictures to show. I figured I could put updates in this thread as things progress. The tank is almost back up to normal salinity after being in hypo.

Front:

72gfront.jpg

Side:

72gside.jpg

Back:

72gback.jpg

Actinic Front:

72gactinic2.jpg

Actinic Side:

72gactinic1.jpg

Refugium:

72grefugium.jpg

Sump:

72gsump.jpg

Sump Connector:

72gsumpconnector.jpg

Sump from behind:

72gsumpbackcovered.jpg

Sump from behind with cover removed:

72gsumpbackuncovered.jpg

ATO:

ATO.jpg

tang2.jpg

tang1.jpg

goby.jpg

Edited by txaggies07

thats an interesting way of placing sumps, water containers, and fuge, I like the rock work

I wanted to the most water volume that I could. My next project is to build a box around my fuge to match my stand.

I also wanted to mention that the ball of Chaeto in the fuge was started from what I got from the fall meeting. Thanks to everyone who helped my collection. Now I have some to give away if anyone needs any.

A piece of advice - those sumps are not safe. They are prone to cracking and are not made to handle water. I had one that cracked on the bottom and I didn't figure it out until after about 20 gallons of water had slowly leaked out. When I took it down to figure out what was going on it gushed all over the place. I'd replace those ASAP, especially because you have equipment in there such as heaters and pumps which could cause damage.

Other than that, it looks great the way you have it set up! I like the bowfront viewable from 3 sides (and really, it looks like the 4th side is viewable, too). I have a question for you, which skimmer does a better job? Since the ASM is second in line, I would think that it would not be able to pull much gunk out, but it looks like it is pulling more than the Euroreef which has the dirtier water.

A piece of advice - those sumps are not safe. They are prone to cracking and are not made to handle water. I had one that cracked on the bottom and I didn't figure it out until after about 20 gallons of water had slowly leaked out. When I took it down to figure out what was going on it gushed all over the place. I'd replace those ASAP, especially because you have equipment in there such as heaters and pumps which could cause damage.

Other than that, it looks great the way you have it set up! I like the bowfront viewable from 3 sides (and really, it looks like the 4th side is viewable, too). I have a question for you, which skimmer does a better job? Since the ASM is second in line, I would think that it would not be able to pull much gunk out, but it looks like it is pulling more than the Euroreef which has the dirtier water.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I put the sumps in there when it was up against the wall, which limited my options. I am planning to eventually put a 20g Long in there. I will keep a close eye on it.

The tank is viewable from 4 sides, however the 4th side has the overflow, some rock, and a koralia on it so there isn't much to look at it. I really like being able to see all the sides though. Walking past and seeing the side view is awesome. I also glance back a lot when I watch TV. I moved the rock forward a bit when I moved the tank. It is fun watching the tang swim around on all sides. In my first rock arrangement, he was limited to the front. It was better with the rock arrangement shown in the 1st picture. Now, he can swim everywhere and still has plenty of hiding spaces. I am about to add a few more pieces of live rock. All that rock lost its "liveness" when I went to hypo. I have some rock stashed away in SW that I am going to use to re-seed.

As for the ASM vs Euro-Reef:

I need a proper pump for the euro-reef before I could make that assesment. The Euro-Reef is actually off right now. I had it dialed in pretty well a month ago. I made some adjustments to the sump and messed everything up. My Sedra pump for the Euro-Reef is dead, so I have an equivalent rated Rio on there. It did do well when I had it adjusted right, but never as good as the ASM. Also, the ASM is much bigger and has the Sedra 5000. That model Euro-Reef came with the Sedra 3000. I imagine it would work well with a new Sedra pump.

i like your idea of putting a box around the sump that matches the stand.... my sump/fuge has to sit on the floor alongside the tank , so that is something I might do at some point

Nice,

Not sure the need for two skimmers with a relatively small bio load- I would just move the refuge into one of the skimmer slots- save you from having to build a side cart garage.

Regards,

Lee

Nice,

Not sure the need for two skimmers with a relatively small bio load- I would just move the refuge into one of the skimmer slots- save you from having to build a side cart garage.

Regards,

Lee

The sump size isn't really for the two skimmers. It is more about water volume. Also, I am planning to pull the euro-reef out soon, I just haven't gotten around to it. I had problems fitting everything in the one bucket. I have heaters and a UV sterilizer that are in there that you can not see.

now I can see all your pictures... last night at home I couldn't due to slow connection. Looks really nice, and agree the rockwork looks good.

I agree with Davelin's comments on replacing those sumps. I had similar sumps from Lowes and after about two months, one morning I see just lots of water all over my basement. Upon inspection, I saw a small crack at the bottom corner of the sump. That 's all it takes a very small crack. Now, I replaced with a heavy duty 50 gallon sump also from Lowes.

The good side of the mishaps is the basement is unfinished. The damage is nothing but an effort to clean up the place.

KLee

And why do you have the Bio Wheels in Penguin HOB filter going? They become NitrAte Factories in SW Systems!! good for FW, but not SW, they hold the bacteria, and just continue to break down pollutants into less harmful NitrAtes, exctly what you want to get rid of in a SW Reef, Yes you have the refugium, but why add to the pollution, I think it would be best to simply remove the Bio Wheels, still run the filter for mechanical filtration...

(edited)

And why do you have the Bio Wheels in Penguin HOB filter going? They become NitrAte Factories in SW Systems!! good for FW, but not SW, they hold the bacteria, and just continue to break down pollutants into less harmful NitrAtes, exctly what you want to get rid of in a SW Reef, Yes you have the refugium, but why add to the pollution, I think it would be best to simply remove the Bio Wheels, still run the filter for mechanical filtration...

I have the bio-wheels in because I was in hypo and lost the functionality of my live rock (dead rock now). I just got the tank back up to normal salinity and have placed a few pieces of live rock back in the tank to seed the rock. The bio-wheels are coming out by the weekend. That Penguin filter is mainly there for carbon purposes (well...once I pull the bio-wheels).

Edited by txaggies07

I agree with Davelin's comments on replacing those sumps. I had similar sumps from Lowes and after about two months, one morning I see just lots of water all over my basement. Upon inspection, I saw a small crack at the bottom corner of the sump. That 's all it takes a very small crack. Now, I replaced with a heavy duty 50 gallon sump also from Lowes.

The good side of the mishaps is the basement is unfinished. The damage is nothing but an effort to clean up the place.

KLee

I am already looking for a replacement. Do the Heavy Duty ones from Lowes work ok?

Hey why not just use a 30 gallon aquarium?? Also why was your tank in HYPO?

I don't believe a 30g will fit in the stand. The tank was in hypo because my tangs didn't like the QT. Most of the fish got ich. I lost my powder brown, but everything else is fine now and has been for about a month. I just got the tank back up to regular salinity a couple days ago.

• 1 month later...

Changes since December post:

Added 5 Green Chromis

Added Flame Angel (from my 24g)

Added Yellow Clown Goby (from my 24g)

Added 2 Serpent Starfish

Added Anemones

Added Corals

Removed plastic bucket sump

Removed 10g Acrylic Fuge

Removed 18g ATO

Added 20g L sump w/ fuge

Added a Reef Crystals tub as my ATO

Removed 1 powerhead (too much flow)

Added 20ish lbs of live rock

Added a Yellow Eye Kole Tang

That is all I can think of now. It has been a busy month or two. Everything is looking good though and growing well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The chromis school is sweet, hopefully they don't just take each other out.

I had 10 for a while. I am now down to 9. They seem to be doing very well.

Full tank shot

CIMG2105.jpg

Right End of Tank

CIMG2108.jpg

Left End of Tank

CIMG2118.jpg

Sump - Notice my new carbon bomb

CIMG2122.jpg

40W Gamma UV Sterilizer

CIMG2123.jpg

Tomato clown and his anemone

CIMG2126.jpg