Monti stung

rottloverr

Last night I had a purple monti frag get pushed outta place by a snail/hermit crab. It fell on my frog spawn =( which stung it. Now the monti is discolored on parts of it.

What should I do?

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

Last night I had a purple monti frag get pushed outta place by a snail/hermit crab. It fell on my frog spawn =( which stung it. Now the monti is discolored on parts of it.

What should I do?

Sean

Glue your frags down ;)

Garrett.

Glue your frags down ;)

Garrett.

but what to do to help the injured coral? I would like to know how people even know that corals have been stung by one another in non-obvious incidences (this one is obvious of course).

Edited by treesprite

"Glue your frags down "

Garrett.

I had just clued it that night. I guess the super glue did not hold.

Is there anything I can do for the injured coral that was stung?

(edited)

Yeah, I need to buy some epoxy. I plan on doing that this week. No, I havent taken a picture of it yet. I will try and do that.

I was considering cutting off the edges that are discolored. But i dont want to cause more damage.

Sean

IMG_08061.jpg

Edited by rottloverr

It should easily grow back over those areas.

Agree - it looks like it's okay; just watch for the white spots getting bigger; if so - you might want to cut a small frag from an unaffected area, just in case.

bob

In addition to what everybody has already stated, try not to do anything drastic to it during this time i.e moving it around to different levels in the tank etc because added stress may lead to RTN. Also, make sure it gets adequate flow so that it can slough off some of the excess mucus it may produce.

Unless there is anything else wrong with it, it should make a full recovery. From my own experience, montis are typically very hardy.

Edited by zoozilla

Oh no, Sean. Is that Dr. Mac's indigo monti? I hope it recovers okay!!

I love mine, and although it seemed to be growing slowly, I noticed this weekend that it is encrusting nicely on the frag plug.

Keep us posted!

Tracy

if you notice further recession of tissue on the monti dip it in kent marine tech D. i swear by this stuff as it is a mild disinfectant and coral conditioner. i've used it on several coral genus' with great success. it contains high levels of iodine and bromide so don't get any in your tank. dip for 5-6 mins, rinse, and replace.

Sean

Any idea where you can get something like that?

:lol2:

if you notice further recession of tissue on the monti dip it in kent marine tech D. i swear by this stuff as it is a mild disinfectant and coral conditioner. i've used it on several coral genus' with great success. it contains high levels of iodine and bromide so don't get any in your tank. dip for 5-6 mins, rinse, and replace.

Sean

Any idea where you can get something like that?

:lol2:

I carry it here at Fins and Feathers and I believe john has it at BRK. any LFS should carry it, or at least be able to order some in for you without a problem.

Sean

Yes, Zotzer thats the piece I got at the meeting from Dr Mac. I'm really bummed that this happened. I am going to closely monitor it for a couple days and possibly use the product F&Fmgr recommended.

Sean