Gloves

Gurnie

I regard my LFS having very well trained and knowledgeable staff. But i often see them handling liver rock and fish (well when scooping with a net) without gloves.

I've specifically asked if people should wear gloves, and they said they weren't necessary, and that if i wanted, new "yellow" latex kitchen gloves were fine.

But i've heard people say you need gloves.

Do you really need gloves? My skin seems a little sensitive to the saltwater (my wrists might get a little chapped or a few tiny "chapped bumps" have appeared, but nothing has itched after washing my hands in the sink (with very warm water and dish soap). I have a similar reaction when i go swimming in florida.

So, do people here wear gloves? How often do people get infected with bacterias or TB?

I'm thinking of getting longer gloves since the kitchen gloves only make it to my elbows. Maybe i can get some good long gloves at home depo?

I'm just surprised that none of the beginner books i read recommended gloves, and now I am hearing people who firmly believe you have to, and others who think people are just acting paranoid.

Opinions?

I have a pair of thick gloves that extend all the way up to my shoulders that I bought from Drfostersmith. I use it now and and more specifically when I have to clean my discus tank because of the mucus that discus release from their skin and I find that it gives me rash. What I use quite frequently whenever I need to move things around in my reef tank is latex gloves that I bought from Costco. I use them so I don't have to touch any of the corals or fish with my hands. Once I'm done, I threw away the gloves then wash my hands and arms with soap and water all the way up to where any part of them is in the reef tank.

James

how long are you latex gloves from costco?

I find when i wear the big yellow gloves it's difficult to pick-up things (little hands in big gloves :( )

I'm new in the hobby so I don't have many corals (just a kenya tree and a red mushroom). The only time i have had to dip my hands were for a W.C. or when i was arranging my rocks for the first time. I have two black saddleback clowns and 8 hermit crabs in my 14 gallon biocube (i had a peppermint shrimp but i think the clown attacked it b/c the hermit crabs were eating the carcass). Does anything in my tank stick out as risky?

i'm big on hand washing, almost obsessive!

how long are you latex gloves from costco?

I find when i wear the big yellow gloves it's difficult to pick-up things (little hands in big gloves :( )

I'm new in the hobby so I don't have many corals (just a kenya tree and a red mushroom). The only time i have had to dip my hands were for a W.C. or when i was arranging my rocks for the first time. I have two black saddleback clowns and 8 hermit crabs in my 14 gallon biocube (i had a peppermint shrimp but i think the clown attacked it b/c the hermit crabs were eating the carcass). Does anything in my tank stick out as risky?

i'm big on hand washing, almost obsessive!

the latext gloves go up to your wrist. If you put your arm in the tank, the water will get in between the gloves and your hands and your hands will get wet. My main concerns was not so much keeping my hands dry but to keep me from touching the rocks and corals with my bare hand. If I have something like sea urchin or a lion fish where the spines can be poisonous or extremely painful if touched, I would definitely wear my heavy duty arm length gloves.

If you have zoanthids in your tank, it might be a good idea to handle it with gloves as I heard that the chemical it releases can pose a hazard to your health if inhaled or entered your bloodstream from cuts on your fingers. Other than that, I don't know of anything else in your tank that would be considered as risky.

James

I don't use gloves, but really should get a pair. I am not as worried about ME being affected by the tank inhabitants, as I am the tank inhabitants being affected by something on my skin (ie: soap residue or perfume or something)

Tracy

BTW...

little trick with latex/nitrile gloves.. wrap a not-too-tight rubberband around your wrist with the glove trapped between the rubberband and your skin. You won't get water in your gloved hand/fingers.

Edited by NRehman

BTW...

little trick with latex/nitrile gloves.. wrap a not-too-tight rubberband around your wrist with the glove trapped between the rubberband and your skin. You won't get water in your gloved hand/fingers.

Good tip to know. Thanks.

:clap:

James

no zoanthids, just one mushroom and one kenya tree. I'm very new to the hobby and I am not into any toxic corals. I'll get an xenia later, but i don't think its toxic.

Is there an official list of toxic corals?

no zoanthids, just one mushroom and one kenya tree. I'm very new to the hobby and I am not into any toxic corals. I'll get an xenia later, but i don't think its toxic.

Is there an official list of toxic corals?

I'm sure there is a list somewhere out there and possibly some members know what they are. I surely don't. Zoanthids are gorgeous so don't let your fears keep you from enjoying them. I think just like everything else, if you use a bit of a precaution, you will be fine.

James

I use the "blue" nitrile gloves as well. A box of 50 at the drug store about $10 or so.

My friend works at the LFS and they have their hands in the tanks all day. I dont think logistically they could stop to put gloves on everythime.

I use gloves if I'm doing anything major - like moving rocks around. I also wash my hands before sticking them in the tank. Lately I've been using one yellow glove when target-feeding my blasto's - so my clown won't bite me. :)

bob

I have a pair of thick gloves that extend all the way up to my shoulders that I bought from Drfostersmith. I use it now and and more specifically when I have to clean my discus tank because of the mucus that discus release from their skin and I find that it gives me rash. What I use quite frequently whenever I need to move things around in my reef tank is latex gloves that I bought from Costco. I use them so I don't have to touch any of the corals or fish with my hands. Once I'm done, I threw away the gloves then wash my hands and arms with soap and water all the way up to where any part of them is in the reef tank.

James

I've got the same problem as you and have the same gloves that James describes above. I notice my skin being sensitive and I'm afraid of putting my hands in the tank during the winter (moisturizer on my hands not good for the tank). If you do get these gloves, make sure you clean them properly prior to use (mine looked like they were oily).

--Mike

this is what I use

096316095052.jpg

but not for handling delicate frags...can not feel how much pressure I am putting on a colony.....too easy break bottlebrush for instance....

Edited by kngfisher

this is what I use

096316095052.jpg

but not for handling delicate frags...can not feel how much pressure I am putting on a colony.....too easy break bottlebrush for instance....

Yep, that's what I have as well. The glove is too thick to handle anything small or delicate.

Skins moisturizer is definitely not a good thing to get into the tank.

Edited by jnguyen4007

ask steve about interactions with tank habitants

In all fairness to the poor and seamingly defenseless corals, Steve was in the process of making zoa stew and they felt they had to fight back. I doubt that gloves would have helped in that situation. :lol2:

I was reading an article today about zoas and fragging, and the guy warned that you need to wear gloves and a face shield.

I have really dry skin in the winter and sometimes use hand lotion, but I was my hands every time tbefore they go in the tank even if I don't think I have anything on them.... you just never know. It does burn if it gets into cracked skin, and it does prevent me from ever growing fingernails when they are like paper to begin with, but I don't use gloves.

I have noticed that if I put my hand in the water with a small papercut or something, there is a bit of pain, but if I cut it while under the water, I don't feel anything until I take it out of the water.

I have recently started to use gloves - the kind that dr's/nurses use - I think they are thin Latex and are definitely powder free. $5 at the local supermarket for 50.

I started using them because I got a painful bloodblister after having my hand in my tank and my fingers itched for days. I'm not sure what I picked up. In the past I've also been pricked by bristleworms (not fun), and have developed a minor rash/blisters on my fingertips on other occasions. I think it's worth it.

And, for what it's worth, the two beginner aquarium books that I have both recommend using gloves (Bob Fenners book and the "New Marine Aquarium - a step-by-step guide").

In all fairness to the poor and seamingly defenseless corals, Steve was in the process of making zoa stew and they felt they had to fight back. I doubt that gloves would have helped in that situation. :lol2:

If he but the gloves over his head, he may have been spared... ;)

I was pricked by bristleworms about 6 weeks ago and there is still a small area of rash/inflamation on my finger. I hate those things. I'm tempted to get another small arrow crab to track down some of those things.

I agree, I now use gloves anytime I know I'm going to be moving rock or doing anything major in the tank. If I'm doing something simple, like to target feed my dendro or sun coral, I don't use gloves.

Most corals are at least somewhat toxic so don't let that deter you. Zoas have a palyotoxin that is particularly dangerous and can actually be deadly. Don't let that deter you though, it's tough to actually injest/absorb enough of it to hurt you.

Gloves are definitely a good idea for cleaning, water changes, anything that doesn't require sensitive touch. Placing/moving corals, trimming, etc. is usually difficult with gloves since it's difficult to feel what you're doing. It keeps soaps, lotions, etc out of the water. Many things we have on our skin contain phosphates and are horrible for the aquarium - algae thrives on phosphates so you definitely don't want any of that in there.

I've never really used gloves in the past, but I'm going to need to start during cleaning of my small tank since the clown has decided he doesn't like it when I'm in there and has taken to biting me. He's still small so he can't quite do anything but run into my hand - but I was starting to feel a little bit of a pinch last night.

Oh, and if you want some xenia or more kenya tree (capnella sp.) LMK. I have plenty - in fact I threw out a small colony of Xenia last night.

~Brian

At SMMAS, Calfo was saying you can develop a sensitivity over time in addition to getting poisoned on the spot. He was annoyed that he had forgotten to bring gloves but went ahead with his coral surgery demo anyway.

Also, he asked who had gotten sick and one member said he was currently on a 40 day antibiotic treatment for marine tuberculosis after a minor stick...

Calfo uses the generic long gloves mentioned above for most things, but uses 'surgeons gloves' for things that require a delicate touch (like coral surgery.) Apparently they come in specific sizes, are ultra-thin, etc.

But he didn't say where to get them.