Will PC's work

discretekarma

I just set up my frag tank and I already have a PC light. My light is a 20" Aqualight with 96w brand new bulbs. It's in a 15 gallon tank so it's about 11"-12" from the sand bed. I really wanted to be able to keep SPS frags in there as well as others. Would this be ok to keep SPS frags in here as long as the flow is good and the water quality is good too. I'm sure I'll upgrade to a T5 fixture in the future but will my SPS' do ok until then?

I just set up my frag tank and I already have a PC light. My light is a 20" Aqualight with 96w brand new bulbs. It's in a 15 gallon tank so it's about 11"-12" from the sand bed. I really wanted to be able to keep SPS frags in there as well as others. Would this be ok to keep SPS frags in here as long as the flow is good and the water quality is good too. I'm sure I'll upgrade to a T5 fixture in the future but will my SPS' do ok until then?

I ran mine with a PC light until I got my 58-gallon tank, and a newer, bigger light for it. Then I put the 4-bulb T5 fixture over the frag tank. While I had the PC light over it - everything stayed alive, and most of it grew just fine; but the color faded out of a lot of pieces.

bob

(edited)

I'm not sure I can get T5's right now but what should I look for when I can get them? Not what is the best T5 ever made, since I'm sure it'll also be the most expensive. What is a pretty good one for a good price. It has to be between 20" and 24".

Thanks

go with the t5's

Edited by discretekarma

I'm not sure I can get T5's right now but what should I look for when I can get them? Not what is the best T5 ever made, since I'm sure it'll also be the most expensive. What is a pretty good one for a good price. It has to be between 20" and 24".

Thanks

If you're looking to save money - get a retro kit and put your own together. I have TEK lights, with 99% german reflectors - I like them, but they aren't the cheapest.

bob

I don't have a canopy on my frag tank and my wife likes everything to look neat so what is a good T5 light fixture that will allow me to kleep SPS in my frag tank given that the water quality and flow is correct.

If you're looking to save money - get a retro kit and put your own together. I have TEK lights, with 99% german reflectors - I like them, but they aren't the cheapest.

bob

you can't go by watts when comparing types of bulbs. T5s are better than pcs, and are more economical in terms of bulbs.

Would a 96w T5 really work that much better than a 96w PC?

Will my 96w PC not work at all for SPS corals or just not work as well as a T5?

T5's are called HO - High-Output; they put out more light per watt. Then add in the reflector quality of most PC fixtures being lower - and you just don't have as much light. If you are trying to grow monti caps in there, you will probably be fine. If you are trying to grow the more sensitive types of SPS, they will probably not die - but I doubt they will grow or color up to your expectations.

bob

T5s or MH is the way to go. PCs won't get you the color or growth out of LPS and SPS. I've heard of the odd case where people get growth using PCs (bob) but the majority of what I've read speaks of color loss, no growth and some not surviving.

This has interested me as well seeing as I am also setting up a 15g frag tank. As for the T-5's, would it be better to go with a 6x24w fixture or a 4x24w fixture? Would the 6x24w be overkill?

This has interested me as well seeing as I am also setting up a 15g frag tank. As for the T-5's, would it be better to go with a 6x24w fixture or a 4x24w fixture? Would the 6x24w be overkill?

Jimmy, IMO 6 x 24 would be serious overkill. To be honest, I would go with 2x24w with individual reflectors. Would be more than enough on that size tank.

Garrett.

Jimmy, IMO 6 x 24 would be serious overkill. To be honest, I would go with 2x24w with individual reflectors. Would be more than enough on that size tank.

Garrett.

Even for SPS?

I did see a Tek light that was 24" and had 4 x 24w with individual reflectors but I wasn't aware of a 2 x 24w that has individual reflectors. Do you know a brand that would be strong enough to keep SPS in or a link? That would be great.

Unfortunately my meager teaching salary doesn't allow me to even consider those fancy fixtures. Instead I gotta go the retro route. Try Greg at ReefGeek. Great guy to deal with.

I think BRK is great and I would definitely support our local stores before purchasing online. I just want to know if that 2 bulb x 24 watt HO T5 w/ seperate reflectors would be good for a 15 gallon reef tank that will have SPS and others?

Also available from BRK and maybe some of our other supporting vendors!