New to the Area

Guest BadFish

Guest BadFish

Hello all, I am moving to the area in Feb. from Galveston, TX. and wanted to get some info from some local reefers.

First, I am selling my tank before the move and getting someone to hold my corals and ship them to me later, where is the best place to get a tank? I will be looking for a 100+ gallon, rimless, starphire; anyone know where to get one?

Second, which LFS is best place to get SPS?

Third, I didn't see a buy/sell/trade forum, is it just for members or is there not one?

Fourth, The main issue reefers in Texas deal with is the heat, is this a similar problem in D.C. area?

Thanks ahead of time for the help and I look forward to becoming a member when I move up there.

-BadFish

Hello all, I am moving to the area in Feb. from Galveston, TX. and wanted to get some info from some local reefers.

Welcome, what part of the area?

First, I am selling my tank before the move and getting someone to hold my corals and ship them to me later, where is the best place to get a tank? I will be looking for a 100+ gallon, rimless, starphire; anyone know where to get one?

Not sure if anyone does rimless starfire around here. May have to get that shipped

Second, which LFS is best place to get SPS?

Again, depends on where you are going to be, but if you look at the links page you will see some supporters of the club. We can get you a better idea where exactly you are located

Third, I didn't see a buy/sell/trade forum, is it just for members or is there not one?

It is members only. The membership fees go towards web maintanence, speakers, etc.. We are a VA nonprofit org, with papers filed for 501c3

Fourth, The main issue reefers in Texas deal with is the heat, is this a similar problem in D.C. area?

same ol same ol. Unfortunately it ain't a "dry" heat either. :)

Thanks ahead of time for the help and I look forward to becoming a member when I move up there.

Looking forward to meeting with you.

Guest BadFish

Not sure where in the area, depends on where I can get a job. Happen to know of anyone looking to hire an Aquarist/Marine Biologist? My wife got a job up there and she will be working in the District (I think that is the proper lingo). I got my last tank from AGA and was wondering if there was another company people used for custom tanks up there. I'm used to the 'hot & humid' living down here on the coast, but it never freezes or snows here. Thanks for the fast response.

Hi, welcome.

Since you're moving up here, I would suggest joining WAMAS it's only 20$ a year, then you can go to the buy/sell/trade sections.

The weather around here is wacky - you should be prepared for anything really.

Not sure where in the area, depends on where I can get a job. Happen to know of anyone looking to hire an Aquarist/Marine Biologist? My wife got a job up there and she will be working in the District (I think that is the proper lingo). I got my last tank from AGA and was wondering if there was another company people used for custom tanks up there. I'm used to the 'hot & humid' living down here on the coast, but it never freezes or snows here. Thanks for the fast response.

Start looking for government jobs (I swear there are gov't jobs for EVERYTHING) but getting hired takes forever, university research, nonprofit, baltimore aquarium is an option. On the MD side, most of us go to either Scales or Aquarium One, VA side is Blue Ribbon Koi, Fins & Feathers or Marine Scene. If your wife has a job in the district you should consider living as close to DC as you can afford - or as close to a metro station as you can afford. And don't forget that it's a really long way to ride from one end of the metro system to the other (http://www.wmata.com). Don't know if you heard but we're ranked #2 in the country for worst traffic! Avoid it at all costs or all your money will be spent on gas and all your time sitting in traffic - instead of all of both disappearing into your water box :)

If so, I hope you've at least been to Texas. Nothing worse than a Cowboys fan who's never even been.

I can say the same about a fan in this area whose a bandwagon SKINS fans....

I do have to admit I favor a fan who has lived in the great state of TEXAS!!

I know the national Zoo around here (DC & Baltimore) will be a great place to look for a job!

if you live in VA I highly recommend going to BRK...

Guest BadFish

Cowboys are ok....not my favorite. Always watch the Texans play, even when it hurts.

Cowboys are ok....not my favorite. Always watch the Texans play, even when it hurts.

Sounds like a good guy!!!!! :biggrin:

Oh you love the Texans huh? yeah theres a lot to love... they been around for what 5 years... the Cowboys has been around for 5 SuperBowls, 18 Division Tittles, and 10 Conference Championships! How Bout them Cowboys! :wink:

Gotta love them cowboys!

hahaha

sorry for busting into your thread like this but I have to represent my team...

WELCOME to WAMAS BTW!!!

:bounce:

blah blah blah...you shouldn't apologize. You bust in to everyones thread like that.

Oh you love the Texans huh? yeah theres a lot to love... they been around for what 5 years... the Cowboys has been around for 5 SuperBowls, 18 Division Tittles, and 10 Conference Championships! How Bout them Cowboys! :wink:

Gotta love them cowboys!

hahaha

sorry for busting into your thread like this but I have to represent my team...

WELCOME to WAMAS BTW!!!

:bounce:

blah blah blah...you shouldn't apologize. You bust in to everyones thread like that.

Comon, thats harsh coming from a Marine who's M.O. is to bust into things...

badfish,

Don't mind these guys. They're just a bunch of nutcase that's all. With the exception of Yauger, I'm still convinced he's an escapee from a mental ward :biggrin: , everyone here are really nice. I would be completely in the dark if it weren't for these folks to help me along with my hobby. Whether you end up living in Northern Va, MD or DC area, chances are, there is at least one or two WAMAS member living nearby.

James

badfish,

Don't mind these guys. They're just a bunch of nutcase that's all. With the exception of Yauger, I'm still convinced he's an escapee from a mental ward :biggrin: , everyone here are really nice. I would be completely in the dark if it weren't for these folks to help me along with my hobby. Whether you end up living in Northern Va, MD or DC area, chances are, there is at least one or two WAMAS member living nearby.

James

:clap: :lol:

Sometimes I feel like a nut....

And BadFIsh if you move to Springfield I would be more than happy to help you set up your new system and get your started with some free frags...

:cheers:

Those are pain killers TO not frags.

:clap: :lol:

Sometimes I feel like a nut....

And BadFIsh if you move to Springfield I would be more than happy to help you set up your new system and get your started with some free frags...

:clap:

Those are pain killers TO not frags.

I think he has upgraded to crack!! what ever it is he better keep using it! his game has been awesome!

ummm time to move this tid bit of football conversation to the DEADSKINS Fan support line channel...

see you there or be square....