1 year tank Anniversary

madmax7774

End of this month is the 1 year anniversary of my tank. I thought I would show off some pictures of the tank.

here is a picture of the tank at 1 day old:

gallery_799_131_16392.jpg

here are some current shots:

gallery_799_260_88507.jpg

gallery_799_260_376955.jpg

gallery_799_260_277853.jpg

gallery_799_260_77608.jpg

gallery_799_260_268417.jpg

gallery_799_260_389555.jpg

gallery_799_260_188363.jpg

My tank specs are:

110g AGA display

40g GSA custom sump with built in refugium

Deltec AP851 skimmer

GSA kalkwasser

4 mj1200 powerheads on a red seas wavemaker

1/3 hp Teco chiller

2 xm 10K 250w metal halides

2 110w VHO actinics

aquacontroller jr.

1 carbon chamber on mj600

automatic R/O topoff through kalkwasser controlled by AC jr.

monlthy 30g water changes with reef crystals

temp - 79'

ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/phospate - 0ppm or

ph - 8.3

calcium -485 pmm

alk - 9.8 dkh

magnesium - 1400ppm

current "to do" list for my tank:

swap out mj1200's for tunze's

get a calcium reactor at some point

replace my bulbs

get a fluidized carbon chamber

get rid of the anthelia !!!!!

get rid of those pesky aptasia

keep my xenia from growing out of control

add some more rocks to use a places to put more corals ( you can never have enough spots for coral right?)

As far as taking care of the tank and ongoing problems, the only real issue I am dealing with so far is that my alkalinity tends to be low (around 7 dkh) and I am currently slowly bringing it back up with baking soda. I have gotten it back to 9.8dkh, which is much better. I am watching to see how long it will take to start going down again. If it drops too fast, then it's time for me to get a calcium reactor. If it stays up for a while, then I can get by with dosing baking soda for now.

Tank inhabitants:

3 firefish

3 clownfish

1 desjardini sailfin tang

1 powder blue tang

1 yellow tang

1 potters angel

1 chryserus angel

1 scribbled foxface

1 lyretail anthias

1 bangai cardinal

1 pyramid butterfly

assorted corals, crabs, anenomes, and snails

Edited by madmax7774

The tank has really come alive in the year. Very nice

Nice tank .I love your stacked live rocks.Did you stack them with PVC?

yeah I was gonna ask what keeps the towers from falling? great looking tank! Also, if you want to dump some of that anthelia my way when you get around to it... :)

If you look closely at the top of the left tower in the 1 day old photo of my tank, you can see the clear acrylic rod that I used to hold the towers together. I got the concept of the rock towers from surfing various reef sites, and I got the idea for the rod from Dandy7200. I was talking with him last year about how to accomplish it with something thinner than PVC pipe. he had some of the rods in his garage, and he came up with the idea of gluing the rods into a plastic cutting board and using that as a base buried in the sand to provide stability. Using a drill press with an auger bit, I was able to bore holes through the live rock, and the rest is history....

One big advantage to towers is that there is good circulation everywhere, and no dead zones. Also this affords me more swimming room for fish, and is the justification I have used for overcrowding my tank as much as I have.

As for the piece of coral on the far lower right off my tank, it is a huge leather coral that I got from BRK, and has turned a nice tan color, and has some interesting polyp extensions on it. I am actually thinking about getting rid of it, as it takes up too much space, and I would like that space for more SPS corals.

John

:cheers:

Looks great!

:cheers:

We have to do that lunch starting at your place first!!!!

:lol2:

What a beautiful tank!! I remember when you first posted the tank shots. I liked the towers then, but boy do they look fantastic now covered with coral.

You mentioned replacing the MJ1200 with Tunze. I just did that. Picked up a Nanostream 6025 from BRK this past weeekend and very impressed with it. I was pleasd to see my tank tmp drop by a couple of degrees, which is what I was hoping for, and the abilitly to point the Tunze in so many different directions is an excellent option. John had a quite a few of the Nanostreams in stock.

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary!

Awesome job! Thats a nice pink poci you've got there ;) . Now that its grown out, I might have to bug you for a frag back.

Edited by jamesbuf

Way to go on such a nice tank - happy An!

First thing I thought in the before picture was "sky scrapers" and wondered how they stayed like that. Looks great.