Which Pump would you use

dschflier

I am looking into buying a new pump so when my Iwaki100 eventually fails I will have my next pump ready to go. For everyone who has not seen my system it is about 350 gallons seperated by 1x210 gallon main display tank 1x 90 gal refugium/quarintine tank 1x40 breeder for frags and a sump that is about 70 gallons that hold maybe 40 gallons. I also have a skimmer being fed by a mag5 and a phosphate remover being run by a mag3 pump.

I would like to use one pump that will run everything including the skimmer and phosphate reactor.

I have been looking at two pumps but am open to any suggestions. The pumps I am considering are Reeflow hammerhead or the baracuda. I want a pump that gives good flow through all the systems,runs the equipment, is no louder then the Iwaki100 and hopefully uses no more power then the Iwaki100.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I like the Sequence reeflo pumps. I use the Barracuda (4200gph) on my 120 and it runs my tank with 3 1.5inch bulkheads, my refugium, and will run my growout/qt. tank. I have a ball valve to control it the outflow.

I also like the Sequence Reeflo pumps. Depending on head pressure, elbows, etc you may want to consider one of their pressure rated pumps. Reeflo pumps can all be throttled back to use less energy, so I'd probably buy the biggest one they make and throttle the outputs to suit each device.

Just to throw a contrary opinion at you.

I am not a fan of running an entire setup on a single pump. I prefer to segregate my systems and have at least 2 independant sources for my main tank. This eliminates a single point of failure for the entire system.

For example: My main return pump only circulated water between the tank and sump. I had a secondary closed loop system on its own independent pump. My skimmer had its own dedicated pump.

I originally had my system setup with the skimmer being fed from the return pump, but it got to be a hassle trying to tune in the skimmer and maintain the desired flow in the main tank. Each additional item that you run off of a single pump will increase the complexity of 'tuning' the system since any increase or decrease desired in one item will necessitate adjusting all of the other users on the system.

My suggestion would be to use three pumps. One as a return pump and 1 add'l (refugium or frag tank) and the second to run your skimmer and the other tank. I would keep the phosphate reactor on its own pump for ease of maintenance and less disruption to other systems when it is taken off line (do you run this 24/7 or periodically?).

Are there much difference between the reeflo pumps and that of the panworld in term of performance, wattage usage, and durability? I am still months and months away before I upgrade, but I'm already making plans for my wish list of items I want to get. I would like to get a pressure rated external pump to be used in a closed loop system. The three criteria for me are: It needs to be quiet, doesn't consume that much electricity, it must be durable.

James

(edited)

Thank you all for your comments. I would consider the Pan world but unless I am mistaken they didn't have as high a flow rate and they appear a bit large. Let me know if I am wrong on that. How do they compare in power usage, noise

I think both the barracuda and hammerhead are preassure rated. is that correct?

Is the barracuda pump very noisy? Does anyone have experience with the hammerhead, how loud? Scott do you think the barracuda would be underpowerd for the whole setup?

beltwaybandit: I hear you but the way I see it is, I dont have a a closed loop and I plan on getting a second pump as a back up. I actually feel if planned properly it will

1) Be less congested in the sump

2) Less wires everywhere

3) Less noise and heat

Overall I feel it will be a more efficient system with less areas of possible problems. Your idea for a setup is just as valid as mine I just feel this way overall will create less issues.(Just my opinion). I do run the reactor full time 24/7. I feel it is an excellent piece of equipment for maintaining an algea free system. It has worked well for me.

If it doesn't turn out to work as well as I am hoping, I can always re-attach the individual pumps as needed. If it dosen't I will certainly post the problems I encounter.

Edited by dschflier

If you are worried about the pump being underpowered, then you could go with the hammerhead that is rated up to 5800 gph.

I have my barracuda dialed back quite a bit with very few bends.

Are there much difference between the reeflo pumps and that of the panworld in term of performance, wattage usage, and durability?

From the little research I did, both the Reeflo and Panworld pumps are very durable. The Reeflo has the advantage of running quieter, using less wattage, adding less heat to your tank. They also have the design advantage of operating more efficiently the more the flow is dialed down. The Panworld type pumps typically are pressure rated and have the advantage of being able to use smaller diameter tubing and will push smaller amounts of water higher. IMHO the Reeflo is a clear winner if you do not have a significant head (over 6 feet) and can use the larger diameter tubing.

Scott do you thinkthe barracuda would be under powered for what I am planning? has anyone used the hammerhead? How loud is the barracuda?

David, I have a hammerhead running my new system just as you describe. Panworld does not currently make pumps this large.

@beltway, agree if using a downdraft skimmer, disagree if using a NW and the system pump is just feeding the skimmer water. I have a single pump running the show and a understudy in the closet with unions installed.....

@james, for a closed loop you don't need a pressure rated pump. Your head pressure is zero on a closed loop.

@rdavidw, you pretty much nailed the advantages of each pump IME. Pressure on long runs with small diameter plumbing go Panworld. Flow where larger piping can work go Reeflo. As far as power and heat transfer are concerned, I think they are about the same when comparing similar sized pumps.

Dan,

I will have to come by and listen to how noisy the pump is. Do you think it would be to much for my system? If I throttle it down is it quiter? Does it use less power?

Thanks everyone as always for you replies

Thanks Jeff very good info. One last question. Does anyone know what the power consumption of the Iwaki100 is. I am trying to compare what the difference will be if any, between my multiple pumps now and using one pump later but I cant find the consumption for the Iwaki.

Well I just purchassed my Hammerhead pump from Marine depot. As long as my Iwaki is still going strong Iam going to use the time to figure my most efficient plumbing setup.

For power consumption, looks like the Iwaki 100 draws 3.4A (approx 408W) and pushes 2136 gph with a max head of 39 ft. The hammerhead has an average of 335W (looks like peak is 380W) with a max head of 23 feet.

http://www.iwakiamerica.com/products/wmd.htm

http://www.reeflopumps.com/flowbiasedpumps.html

You might also want to look at these if you still want to do a single pump for everything:

http://www.reeflopumps.com/flowpressurehighspeedpumps.html