Justin's 550 almost-cube

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Re: 2x12, it's actually a double 2x12 since it is a load bearing wall. I also reinforced the vertical supports with additional 2x4s as well.

Doug I hope I will be ready for frags by then, although I can't go to the meeting yet again :( I'm going to a wedding for a friend of mine that weekend in panama city FL, and my wife would kill me if I said her long-awaited weekend at the beach was out in order to go to a "fish thing with your fishtank friends".

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Re: 2x12, it's actually a double 2x12 since it is a load bearing wall. I also reinforced the vertical supports with additional 2x4s as well.

Doug I hope I will be ready for frags by then, although I can't go to the meeting yet again :( I'm going to a wedding for a friend of mine that weekend in panama city FL, and my wife would kill me if I said her long-awaited weekend at the beach was out in order to go to a "fish thing with your fishtank friends".

A double 2x12 with a piece of plywood sandwiched in, I hope. :clap:

"fish thing with your fishtank friends" :) This sound familiar to everyone? :)

This was the first time I've ever been snorkeling fully underwater in a fish tank :fish: I forgot about needing a weightbelt when in a wetsuit, so next time I'll have to find some plastic-coated weights (guessing raw lead wouldn't be good for a closed system even if for a few minutes)

IMG_4306.jpg

Did you do it in your wetsuit to help cycle the tank?

And, WHY were you in there?

If I could fit in my tank, I'd be in it! Justin, I may have to come over just to go swimming in your tank - just make sure you don't have any triggers, eels, damsels, or mean clowns in your system... I'd hate for them to explore new places to bite.

Thanks for the picture, I showed it to my wife and now she don't think I am so crazy anymore. :biggrin:

Operative word is "so", she still thinks you're crazy. My wife would just say "don't get any ideas!"

Did you do it in your wetsuit to help cycle the tank?

And, WHY were you in there?

Of course...

not. That would be a waste of 550 gallons of RODI water!

I was in there to fix the two streams that fell over (front left and right), they should be pointed up but I didn't tighten those little plastic screws enough to hold them in place. Also I needed to clean one out, the prop was sticking and causing the box to alarm, probably due to silt getting in it when I initially added the sand.

As Jason mentioned above, I discovered I only displace about 14 gallons. I would have guessed more like 30 or 40.

Justin, too Cool!!

But seriously, when the tank is FULL of corals, how do you plan to GET TO STUFF that's near the bottom???

Robotic Submarines??? :biggrin:

A combination of breaking a lot into frags, a long set of tongs (I have some that are about 4'), and by then my 4yo daughter will be 5 or 6 and probably on her way to a scuba cert anyway. She'll fit pretty easily.

Oh, I can just see it........a few too many beers one night and he'll be skinny dipping in the tank! :cheers:

Man, Steve, I would have thought you'd prefer to NOT see it! I guess you've been thinking of upgrading tanks and marrying Justin instead!

Man, Steve, I would have thought you'd prefer to NOT see it! I guess you've been thinking of upgrading tanks and marrying Justin instead!

I've got to start watching what I say here!! :drink: Of course, leave it to Dave to take the gutter route!

Edited by steveoutlaw

Thanks for the picture, I showed it to my wife and now she don't think I am so crazy anymore. :biggrin:

Yes - I am linking that photo for anyone that thinks I'm nuts when it comes to this hobby.

bob

(edited)

Finally moved my fish over yesterday. I added a 6" blue tang, 5" yellow tang, 7" naso, 3 big chromis, a pair of cleaner wrasses (both in captivity healthy for over a year), royal gramma, and a mandarin. I'll probably move up some of my fish from FL, a 7" sohal tang, 5" chevron, 7" rabbitfish. Then to finish I'll probably add a nice school of anthias, probably bartletts if I can find a nice healthy group of them.

IMG_4411.jpg

Next up is frag planting!

Man! That is an awesome tank! Great build! Where did you get the glass from? I've been thinking of building a small predator tank.

Thanks! I got the glass from a local glass shop named Hutchinson Glass. They do some work with starfire but they had to send the two pieces to a laminator to make the 1" piece.

Edited by ctenophore