New 350 gallon tank build

NAGA

Jeff, do you have any concerns with the tank being adjacent to those double doors?

Garrett.

I was just about to ask the same thing.

Looks like a beautiful set-up though!

Tracy

it looks like a single sliding glass door, but I can't tell if there is a deck or something outside. I'd be more worried about all the direct sunlight hitting the tank from those windows and adding to heat\algae issues.

Garrett,

that was one of the first things I expressed concern about when I first saw where the proposed placement was. This area of the house receives a lot of sunlight during the day and that can be a huge asset or the worst of enemies. With this setup being as comprehensive as it is I am favoring that the sunlight is going to be an asset in time. The rock with this tank has been running in my 300gallon tank for over a year. Water quality will be maintained at a high level especially in the beginiing although we all know that these tanks will do what they want to do.

The tank itself should be put in place Wednesday and likely to get water in it as well. There is a lot your not seeing as there is another part of the house that is being used for support of this tank. I should have some more to share tomorrow.

Jeff

Thanks Tracy, and bigJPDC there is indeed a large sliding door however not only is that the case but, there is a large window all around the door. Basically the whole back of the house is one large window and there isn't a deck but, rather a grassy area. The large window/door is there as this house sits right on the water.

I'll let John (Seahawk) comment further on the sunlight concerns as he is aware of the potential amplification of algae issues.

Well I have found every tank a little different and it wanting to do what it wants to do no matter what we try. I just can't wait to see what kind of ride this tank is going to give us.

WELL WE GOT THE TANK UP ON THE STAND BUT, WE TOOK DOWN THE TOP PART OF THE CANOPY SO WE CAN WORK A LITTLE EASIER. NOW THAT THE TANK IS IN PLACE WE WILL GET THE PLUMBING DONE AND FILL IT NEXT TIME WE ARE OUT.

JUST AS A SIDE NOTE, PHILLIP WORE HIS DEADSKINS SHIRT AGAIN SO HE IS NOT IN THE PICS TODAY :biggrin: SO, SKICURTIS HAS TAKEN HIS PLACE AS THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THE DEADSKINS REPRESENTATION ON MY JOBS :cheers:

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

Exciting day. Jeff, great work. Even though we have spent over 2 years working on this design, we continue to tweek it during the installation phase. Jeff has come up we some novel approaches to water flow and distribution. Having the over flow box in the right corner was a very recent change. I love the idea. The tank will be viewed from the left, so one will have a very open view. Of course, the over flow box will be covered with live rock. I envision one or two islands to left of the tank, promoting the open view from some one looking at the tank from the left corner. As for the natural light, yes, I am concerned. I am hoping that my robust filtration system will keep the nutrients down to a level where the natural light will become an assest and not a detriment. We will see.

• 5 months later...

Tank052.jpg

Tank010.jpg

Tank053.jpg

Tank010.jpg

Tank063.jpg

Please forgive the quality of the photos and my obvious novice posting abilities. This was a test of my camera and figuring out how to post pictures. This is the tank after almost six months. I have been very pleased with the results. Almost no issues and all the animals are healthy and happy. I will post some more when my skills improve.

OK Naga, I got it done :-)

Seahawk,

Thanks for the update, but you've only whetted out appetites for more photos! How about a full view of the tank, stand, and hood so we can check out the cabinetry and rockscape?

Jon

Thank you. Now that I figured out the photo thing I will happily post more pictures. I have learned so much from forums such as these, I feel compelled to return the favor. I most admit, I benefited from LR that was "aged" for several years as well as a fish population that has been in captivity for quite some time as well. Not to mentioned an oversized skimmer. My only tribulation was a bout of cyano, but the addition of ozone quickly cured the problem. Naga should take a bow for his fine work.

Hey, Congrats on getting the photo posting thing figured out!!!!

Get some pics of the whole setup from back a little bit catching that monster rose anenome in all it's glory. That baby came out of my tank and it's now over 21" when fully open. Quite the center piece!!