What your grandpa never told you about iodine...

lanman

Okay - how come you 'super-grand-master-reefer' types never mentioned iodine? I was searching around for WHY might my corals suddenly not be extending their polyps very much. And one consistent answer was IODINE. So I got a test kit - and my iodine measures... well - ZERO!! Or close enough to not matter. Fortunately, I also got some iodine supplement and started adding it tonight. I guess I'm going to start doing larger water changes. I don't know where the iodine goes - but obviously in my tank - it GOES. Hopefully in a few days, my corals will once again be extending their polyps out and looking pretty.

bob

Hmmm... actually I've seen various articles on iodine. There was something in one of them about drawbacks to dosing it.... something to do with inverts maybe? I can't remember.

Only put a drop or two of poison in your tank. There is no test kit that will detect iodine in saltwater that is even remotely affordable, the affordable ones usually read zero. First I have ever heard about lack of PE from lack of iodine, where did you get that info?

I agree with Dan. I can find many articles written by respectable authors that are for and strongly against dosing iodine but all of them will caution you to be very careful if you chose to do so. The fact that you are seeing decreased polyp extension and that you measured zero iodine with a home test kit of questionable accuracy does not necessarily mean that low iodine is the root cause of the issue. Disease, temperature, PH swings, parasites, lighting and countless other things could be causing this.

Suggestion: Mix a fresh batch of SW and test it for iodine. If you can measure it there and it is at the level you are trying to obtain, do water changes!

Guest alex wlazlak

i had a cleaner shrimp and i forget where i got it, but they said i shoulda add some iodine every once in a while to help it molt, so i did. and when i kinda didnt do it in a while, when it molted, it died, got caught with the shell halfway on it, so i'd imagine its good for shrimp n' such..

I knew he was always holding something from me, and I'm the III.

Much of the literature in regards to iodine used to involve mostly softies, but that when all the additives started coming out too.

From past experience, the most noticable difference will likely be an increase in reddish purple slime algaes.

I plan to stand at Poppy's gravesite arms folded, thumping my foot next time I visit.

There's nothing better for any marine tank than regular WC's

Only put a drop or two of poison in your tank. There is no test kit that will detect iodine in saltwater that is even remotely affordable, the affordable ones usually read zero. First I have ever heard about lack of PE from lack of iodine, where did you get that info?

I'd have to search again - but basically the lack of PE is because the iodine acts like a 'sunscreen' for corals; and when it's low, they withdraw their polyps to keep from getting sunburned.

I don't actually intend to continue dosing iodine; I just put a little in there in case it DID have something to do with it. I am making lots of water, so I can do a larger than usual water change this weekend. I figure good salt water is the best way to keep any of the 'trace elements' up to par.

I watch my corals like a hawk; and when THREE of them are acting the same way - I'm a little concerned. When I noticed a 4th one I measured everything I could find a kit for, and that was the only parameter that didn't come up 'in range'. Of course, now you tell me that the Salifert kit won't tell me anything anyhow?

Two of those corals have frags in the frag tank with good polyp extension - so it's not the season of the year or the phase of the moon.

I'm hoping that it's just the 'relatively' fast change in pH and Alk with the introduction of the kalk stirrer. Over the course of two weeks it went from 8.0 at lights on and 8.3 at lights off - to 8.2 at lights on, and as high as 8.49 at lights off. And Alk is up from about 10dkH to 12dkH. Wasn't a 'sudden' change - but in coral-time, maybe two weeks is sudden enough for stress.

bob

gotten any new fish or critters?

One 3" green Crocea clam. One 4" diameter Orange Pavona coral. Last weekend.

Not many changes lately.

bob

Edited by lanman

I'm not about to jump to any conclusions - but the polyp extension, while still low, is noticeably better tonight. That's after 3 nights of almost NO extension on several of my corals; now they are tentatively pushing out polyps. Still making water.

bob

I don't think the lack of iodine is what killed the cleaner shrimp.

Well, what he describes (death related to a problem molting), does sound like it could be related to an iodine deficiency, but . . . .

There's nothing better for any marine tank than regular WC's

I second that brother....

What they said. :biggrin:

I'm not about to jump to any conclusions - but the polyp extension, while still low, is noticeably better tonight. That's after 3 nights of almost NO extension on several of my corals; now they are tentatively pushing out polyps. Still making water.

bob

Bob,

It's not unusual for colony's to remain closed for several days with no valid explaination other than they did.

They may have been open when you weren't looking.

They might even have gotten tired of you looking and closed up so the couldn't see you.

How long can you look at yourself in the mirror? That's what they're seeing only your face might even be scrunched up alittle.

Relax, take a deep breath, read the newspaper, there is no "one cure".

BTW, changing copious amounts of water suddenly is often much more harmful than a regular Water Closet routine.

If you're worried about iodine, just add a little bit of iodized table salt periodically. This will add a small amount of iodine to your water as well. I can't remember which expert recommends that, maybe Holmes-Farley?

Bob,

It's not unusual for colony's to remain closed for several days with no valid explaination other than they did.

They may have been open when you weren't looking.

They might even have gotten tired of you looking and closed up so the couldn't see you.

How long can you look at yourself in the mirror? That's what they're seeing only your face might even be scrunched up alittle.

Relax, take a deep breath, read the newspaper, there is no "one cure".

BTW, changing copious amounts of water suddenly is often much more harmful than a regular Water Closet routine.

copious? hehe... I'm planning to change 10 gallons, instead of my normal 7.5; then start doing it weekly instead of every other week.

not copious - just a bit more. I figure it's possible that with the kalk running, the corals are growing faster, using up trace minerals faster, necessitating more frequent additions of mineral-rich fresh salt mix.

bob

bob

I figure it's possible that with the kalk running, the corals are growing faster, using up trace minerals faster, necessitating more frequent additions of mineral-rich fresh salt mix.

All things considered, they are probably just adjusting to the change. Give it time and I'll bet they get back to normal before too long. While you wait though, doing weekly instead of biweekly water changes would not be a bad thing.

I'm the super-grand-master-reefer we are all talking about???? What have we come to???

I do use iodine in my tanks. However it is more of a policy of: "just in case God really is there" as oposed to REALLY believing in it. I dose at about 1/2 the rate suggested by those that sell Iodine.

My "chemical reef hero" R.H.F. doesn't push iodine, but isn't against it either. If he said it was "bad" I wouldn't dose it.

Iodine is used up quickly by those that would use it, and stripped out by: carbon, skimming, aeration, ozone, and other filtration methods. From my history, unless you JUST doesed it, all test kits will always read zero.

Iodine may help shrimp molt.

I believe there considerable risk from over dosing iodine. Use with care.

I don't think you will see a huge change in PE after adding iodine.

Table Salt? REALLY?