Sand alternative?

phisigs79

http://www.woodwardsace.com/safe_play_sand.htm

Wonder if we can get a bulk discount on shipping?

Edited by phisigs79

I found the source of this and talked to the guy and he said its 100% calcium carbinate. He also assured me the sand is white and a nad bigger then regular play sand. Asked for a sample but they would have to open a bag in order to do so. They said a pallet would be the cheapest way to send since its all the way in CA. Basically without shipping it would be really cheap and even cheaper than South Down sand was. 50lb bags wholesale priced with shipping would be around $ 14 each. Without shipping they run a mere $3 each. 56 bags complete a pallet. Come out to $.27 a lb which is still very cheap. Very interesting thing to look into.

I found the source of this and talked to the guy and he said its 100% calcium carbinate. He also assured me the sand is white and a nad bigger then regular play sand. Asked for a sample but they would have to open a bag in order to do so. They said a pallet would be the cheapest way to send since its all the way in CA. Basically without shipping it would be really cheap and even cheaper than South Down sand was. 50lb bags wholesale priced with shipping would be around $ 14 each. Without shipping they run a mere $3 each. 56 bags complete a pallet. Come out to $.27 a lb which is still very cheap. Very interesting thing to look into.

Doesn't the link say they are $7/bag without shipping?

-the tooth

I found the supplier than is selling them for $3 per bag plus shipping

No matter where you buy your sand, you will pay for shipping. BRK does a lot of things, but they don't mine, crush, and bag coral in their back lot. They have it shipped from somewhere.

That sounds like a great deal if the crushed marble is a good aquarium sand - but 56 bags is quite a group buy!

bob

No matter where you buy your sand, you will pay for shipping. BRK does a lot of things, but they don't mine, crush, and bag coral in their back lot. They have it shipped from somewhere.

That sounds like a great deal if the crushed marble is a good aquarium sand - but 56 bags is quite a group buy!

bob

I'll give you pretty darned good odds with a group buy between cmas and wamas we could easily fill this order no sweat

anyone interested?

Yes yes i did. I am thinking about a refug with a DSB and posssibly a grow out tank with a sand bed all plumbed into the main system. I am still debating weither i am going to keep my main tank BB. I find it gets dirty quick but it could be from the rocks still shedding.

I'm interested. I'll need sand for my 120 - since I have about 30# in my 29, I'm guessing 100# in the 120? Tack on some more for the fuge, and sounds like I'm in for about 3 bags.

~Brian

• 4 weeks later...

I think there's some guys in the Richmond club that may be interested in this. I saw a similar discussion on RC and sent them a message:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1217164

Is there still any interest in trying to get together a buy of this stuff? If someone in Woodbridge took delivery, splitting between Richmond and DC wouldn't be too bad?

That sounds like a great deal if the crushed marble is a good aquarium sand -

bob

This is my question Bob: why IS this good aquarium sand? Why is this better than silicone?

How much is BRK aragonite again (sorry for dumb questions, but we need sand, have already tried playsand, had the diatomb bloom PLUS clogged our pipes with clay that was in the sand... etc. So, a little gun shy, but the price is attractive...)

its cacium carbonate which is the same makeup as aragonite sand. No silica in this stuff

id be interested in 40 pounds depending on where pick up would be- jason are you going to buy any? if you are would you mind picking up?

just saw there 50 pound bags-that'd put me down for one then

Edited by akbuuur

If we split the order between our club and the Richmond club, I think we can get close. In order for that to work, pickup will need to be somewhere in the middle - like Woodbridge? Maybe someone could haul a few bags to the fall meeting for pickup as well? Any chance some of the local shops - Scales, BRK, F&F would be interested in stocking 10 bags or so? Only $140, and you could easily sell for $30 or $40/bag. I would volunteer to store for future purchase, but my rowhouse in DC just doesn't afford me the storage space of 2800 lbs of sand.

I would accept delivery at my place in gainesville

As soon as we have 52 bags covered

We're in for four bags if it's relatively soon... we're looking for sand. Just checking: the price is $.27/lb WITH shipping... OR is it $1.27/lb WITH shipping? :wig:

If we split the order between our club and the Richmond club, I think we can get close. In order for that to work, pickup will need to be somewhere in the middle - like Woodbridge? Maybe someone could haul a few bags to the fall meeting for pickup as well? Any chance some of the local shops - Scales, BRK, F&F would be interested in stocking 10 bags or so? Only $140, and you could easily sell for $30 or $40/bag. I would volunteer to store for future purchase, but my rowhouse in DC just doesn't afford me the storage space of 2800 lbs of sand.

Wonder if BRK or some shop would even broker this? Allow the delivery to come in there to get traffic into their store when we all come to pick it up?

We might be able to store a good bit of it in our business' warehouse in G'berg, MD if not.

Edited by FishWife

Well, I have 40 lbs of the dry aragonite left over from my new tank (I bought 1 bag too many). I also have 70# of live sand from the tank I'm breaking down.....I'll take $40 for the lot if anyone is interested.......pickup this Sunday.

Edited by steveoutlaw

They also say the reason if because it not fine which this is. Only issue i see is they say it doesnt dissolve as fast as aragonite. I do believe however this would be a better solution than silica based sand. Anyone else find articles on this?